Cozumel help! (Mitsgurly?)

lbt43

Going to Cozumel with Norwegian. Cozumel sounds great. Please offer your opinion on what we should do?

My boss (and others) have said there is tons to do at Chankanaab and they had a great time. I am open to that.

I wanted to do the speed boat excursion with NCL, but it is sold out.

I am looking at the catamaran to Passion Island with NCL, looks fun and relaxing, but I was hoping to do some snorkeling and i heard none was available there, none that good anyway.

What about Paradise beach? I heard it is very touristy. Thoughts?

Please offer other suggestions. Thank you!!!!

Edited by lbt43
Spelling

Going to Cozumel with Norwegian. Cozumel sounds great. Please offer your opinion on what we should do?

My boss (and others) have said there is tons to do at Chankanaab and they had a great time. I am open to that. I agree - but is it worth the $20 admission fee to you?

I wanted to do the speed boat excursion with NCL, but it is sold out.

I am looking at the catamaran to Passion Island with NCL, looks fun and relaxing, but I was hoping to do some snorkeling and i heard none was available there, none that good anyway. No sandy beach area will have good snorkeling - you need rocks and reefs to provide a good habitat for the little fish; waves and sand cloud the water.

What about Paradise beach? I heard it is very touristy. Thoughts? Large popular beach club on the coast with several other large beach clubs. Good facilities and a huge pool - it is popular because it is well run and pay-as-you-go, attracting many who just want a cheap afternoon on the beach.

Please offer other suggestions. Thank you!!!!

Travelling in a group? With kids? What do you want to do most - snorkel? All-inclusive? Kid friendly? There are many beach clubs in Coz - most lined up along the same side of the island, so the only real difference is the size and the amenities.

If you want great snorkeling from the shore without paying the Chank admission fee then check out the Money Bar.

If you want a lively all-inclusive beach club with the option to add jet skis, horseback riding, etc. check out Mr. Sanchos.

Give us a few more details and the suggestions you get back will be more helpful. :)

Not to put words in her mouth, but I think Mitsgurly would highly recommend Playa Mia if you have children.

If snorkeling is near and dear to all, the Money Bar is a good pay-as-you-go option. Small rocky beach though. But if it's just a nice-to-have, your boat to Passion Island would make a great beach day.

Any beach in Coz along the western shore is going to have kids. Alberts, Playa Planacar, Corona Beach Club, Money Bar will have fewer kids than Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia and maybe even Passion Island, depending on the number of ships in port on any given day. Nachi Cocum, A.I. does tend to have fewer kids than pay-as-you-go beaches.

Thanks. no, i dont have kids and I want to avoid kids.

I agree with crewsweeper - all-inclusive, quiet & relaxing Nachi Cocom attracts very few kids (no water toys/music, etc.) Taxi each way will run about $17+tip for up to 4 in a cab and the admission is about $55 each -- if you want to snorkel or enjoy a massage they can arrange that as an add-on. Great food/drinks/service/atmosphere -- limited to 100 guests per day -- we love the place. :D

We like Playa Palancar which is a $20 taxi ride each way from Puerta Maya pier. Very few kids and very few people the times we've been here. No charge to use beach and food and bar is reasonable. We also hired a driver a few years ago and went on a tour of the island, including the west side and the San Gervasio ruins. Have also just walked around the downtown area.

• 4 months later...

It's funny how I've never seen this post, but I was searching on the Cozumel board for Passion Island information and this thread popped up. LOL :D

If you want snorkeling, I highly recommend Chankanaab. Yes, your boss is right, there is plenty to do there. There is plenty of sand and palapas and the snorkeling is awesome. They have a beautiful lagoon with iguanas walking around and sunning. A self guided replica ruins in the wooded type area. They have a free sea lion show, swimming pool, an easy entry beach in addition to the snorkeling area and since I have been there, they have added an alligator something or other. :p I love this place. There's 2 reviews in my signature line with tons of pictures.

I haven't been to Passion Island YET...I'll be going in November. I just booked it today and can't wait. So, I'm not sure when you are planning on cruising and if my review will come too late or not. But since it's a sandy bottom beach, as others have said, you probably won't find any snorkeling there.

I haven't been to Paradise yet either. That will probably be the next place I try whenever we return to Cozumel. I have been wanting to do it for awhile as well. (Too many things to do and not enough cruises) :D

So far I have been to Chankanaab (x2), Playa Mia, Mr Sanchos, and Nachi. Out of all those places, Chankanaab is my favorite. You are more than welcome to read any of my reviews (in my signature line) and they all have TONS of pictures that will help you get a good feel of the place and know what it looks like and from that, you can determine if it looks like a good fit for you. :)