Minor traveling with birth certificate only?

dasphr

We are cruising with our 3yo in a few weeks, but she doesn't have a passport because we were told she didn't need one, just an official birth certificate. Just to ease my mind, has anyone else brought a minor onboard without a passport? Any issues?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Closed loop cruises originating and ending in the US don't require a passport. It won't be a problem boarding the ship.

Having said that, if you experience a problem in a foreign country you won't be able to fly back into the US without a passport

Edited by sdmike

Sorry. .. closed loop out of NY, going to FL and Bahamas...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Family went on the same trip last summer on Gem some kids had passports and others had BC and no problems with the BC for children. Just make sure its original and has seal.

Like mentioned above you could have an issue getting back to states if had to try to get back to the states is you somehow got stuck in Bahamas. Very unlikely but could in fact happen.

Since you only have a few weeks you will not have time to get a passport unless it is expedited.

A child is never too young to have a passport. A passport is something she will have for the rest of her life and it's the very best form of identity. You never know when it might come in handy and you'll be so glad to have it.

Should you miss the ship while visiting Mexico or other port outside of the US, thing are much easier if everyone has a passport.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html

We just travelled with our kids (7 and 5 years old) and they only had birth certificates. No passports.

Of course it's easier if they have passports, but we didn't do it. My older child had a passport when he was 1 because we went out of the country, but we didn't renew it when it expired. Getting passports for kids can be an extra hassle. You have to get their pictures taken, then you have to apply in person at a passport place (typically the post office). The worst part is, they only last 5 years. I do agree it's good in theory to have them, but if you're just cruising, not necessary.

Since you only have a few weeks you will not have time to get a passport unless it is expedited.

A child is never too young to have a passport. A passport is something she will have for the rest of her life and it's the very best form of identity. You never know when it might come in handy and you'll be so glad to have it.

Should you miss the ship while visiting Mexico or other port outside of the US, thing are much easier if everyone has a passport.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html

Post #7 says their child had one when he was one but now doesn't have one now at age 7. I guess that doesn't mean they'd have one for the rest of their life.:)

Bill

I don't think JUST a passport ill do. You need an ID and a certified copy of a birth certificate as I read this.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#documentation

Just a passport will do it, it's either a passport or an acceptable alternative such as a government issued photo ID and birth certificate. It is not both.

OP we've sailed twice with birth certificates for kids under 16 and had no issues. A passport is easier? Hmmm, I presented the birth cert and we boarded and as I understand it that's the same process with a passport:). Yes, if you miss the ship or if you have to cut your trip short to return home for an emergency you will have a delay in getting home. It all depends on why- there are provisions in the DHS regulations that allow exceptions to be made for medical emergencies or humanitarian reasons.

A child is never too young to have a passport. A passport is something she will have for the rest of her life

Not true, especially for a child. They are only good for 5 years. Technically, it will only have 4.5 years use since you are always supposed to have 6 months of validity on it. If you don't travel very often, that's a pretty big expense only to have to renew it in 5 years.

Edited by staceyeileen

Have you looked into getting passport cards? We are cruising with our 7YO and 4YO and we are getting both of them passport cards. It's cheaper then an actual passport and works for all land border crossings or sea port's of entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda.

Seems like a waste of money if you don't do land border crossings. Can basically do all the other stuff with a birth certificate.

Of course that's just my opinion and YMMV.:)

Bill

Seems like a waste of money if you don't do land border crossings. Can basically do all the other stuff with a birth certificate.

Of course that's just my opinion and YMMV.:)

Bill

Unless I am misreading this they are allowed to use their birth certificate at land crossings too (from the DHS regulations):

i) Children Under Age 16. A United States citizen who is under the age of 16 is permitted to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services when entering the United States from contiguous territory at land or sea ports-of-entry; or

IMO, the passport cards are a waste of money unless you live in a state that borders either Mexico or Canada &/or enter either frequently by land. Otherwise, a certified BC is fine on closed loop cruises. The passport card will not help you if you get left in a port or have a medical emergency and have to fly back into the US.

We went ahead and got a passport for our DS when he was 6 and have already renewed it once. When his comes due again, ours will be as well. We consider it part of the cost of traveling and for peace of mind.

I'll have a passport, but the rest of our crew will be marching on the ship with certified, original birth certificates with the stamp on them. the adults will have a driver's license as well.

IF something happens in Victoria....we'll deal with it then. The rest of the ports, we can simply fly home as we are US citizens flying in the US (Alaska closed loop cruise sailing from Seattle)

Edited by Traveller20074

There shouldn't be any issues with just a BC as long as the minor is with both parents~if not then they should have a notarized letter from other parent stating it is okay for them to take them out of the country~

Ok here's a monkey wrench for this topic I been wondering about for months and even my T.A. didn't know when I booked. I have primary placement of my 13 & 9 year old boys and their mother moved to the other side of the country (I have talk to her once in the past year when she stood the boys up saying she was coming to vistit them at X-Mas and never showed up...)

I married 3 years and I'm taking my very happy family on our first family cruise. Is there going to be a problem if their step-mom is not there real mom???

I dread the thought of having to track the boys mom down to get some kind of a letter from her? Any Ideas?

Ok here's a monkey wrench for this topic I been wondering about for months and even my T.A. didn't know when I booked. I have primary placement of my 13 & 9 year old boys and their mother moved to the other side of the country (I have talk to her once in the past year when she stood the boys up saying she was coming to vistit them at X-Mas and never showed up...)

I married 3 years and I'm taking my very happy family on our first family cruise. Is there going to be a problem if their step-mom is not there real mom???

I dread the thought of having to track the boys mom down to get some kind of a letter from her? Any Ideas?

has her rights as a parent been terminated? not merely that you are the custodial parent. here is the rule. By international treaty the non custodial parent whose rights have not been terminated still has rights. Some cruise lines enforce this more than others. My son is divorced. His wife still has rights and we get on every cruise a letter from her. Many times they never even look at it(on Carnival they never have) on NCL they about half the time ask for it.

BTW if you can get a passport you don't need the birth certificate and how will they now your current wife is not their mom? Its only on the birth certificate not the passport...but I think you need her to give a note to get the passport anyway..

4. Parental Consent

Minors under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves.

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the minor. If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian.

If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

U.S. or foreign birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or adoption decree, listing only the applying parent

Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)

Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s travel with the child

Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent

Death certificate of the non-applying parent

Edited by smeyer418

Hi smeyer418, she still has her rights, for whatever her reasons she was satisfied only having her boys a few weekends a years when she lived in the same city, and now that she moved away it's once a year for a couple of days...

The reason I was asking was when I looked on the NCL website they have a form "PARENT / GUARDIAN CONSENT & RELEASE FORM" and on that form at the top it says, "This form must be completed if a minor is not travelling with at least one parent or legal guardian." So I thought...being their dad, that's was going to be good enough and I would not need a letter or form????????

Edited by MR. MATT

Hi smeyer418, she still has her rights, for whatever her reasons she was satisfied only having her boys a few weekends a years when she lived in the same city, and now that she moved away it's once a year for a couple of days...

The reason I was asking was when I looked on the NCL website they have a form "PARENT / GUARDIAN CONSENT & RELEASE FORM" and on that form at the top it says, "This form must be completed if a minor is not travelling with at least one parent or legal guardian." So I thought...being their dad, that's was going to be good enough and I would not need a letter or form????????

That for is only for when you're taking one of your kid's friends, or similar. You will need a letter authorizing you to take the kids out of the country. The form will not take care of this issue

That for is only for when you're taking one of your kid's friends, or similar. You will need a letter authorizing you to take the kids out of the country. The form will not take care of this issue

Thank you for the info, could you point me in the right direction for the form I would need :D

Edited by MR. MATT