The Fun Shops Foods and Desserts

SavvySarah

Anyone have any miniature reviews and/or pictures on the Fun Shops offerings? I've seen the strawberries time and time again. Not too keen on ordering the cheese plate as I believe I can just get that from the main dining room basically. What about the assorted pastries tray or the canapes? Fruit? I know there is tons of food on the ship but we don't have the budget for major pampering, so this looks like a little splurge that might be nice.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be interested in this too. I just ordered a Happy Anniversary vanilla cake as a surprise for my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I see now you are leaving way before us! A picture slash mini review of your anniversary cake would be awesome. All the best to you and yours!

Did the cake and it was really good and well worth the $8 or $10 we paid for it. Hubby has done flowers and they were also good quality. Strawberries are sometimes awesome and other times just so so. Like all fruit there is a narrow window of peak flavor and sadly we have had a few misses. I have learned to just go down to the café and pick my berries. I haven't tried much of the other items as I fear they will go to waste with all the other food onboard. Sorry I couldn't help more. Like you I want to try some of the other items.

The cookies I purchased for my niece on a previous cruise went over very well!

I just bought the deluxe fruit and cheese basket for my sister. She cruises this week with her husband. Hope it was a good choice for them. I figured it would go well with wine in their cabin while they relax out on their balcony.

I think it is sooo nice to have a little something in your cabin:)

the cakes are nice looking, and great tasting, and I think well worth the price point. You can get chocolate chip cookies via room service and they are very tasty. Also, I saw a review recently where someone got a medium canape tray, it looked very nice but I remember the person saying for 5 people, I believe 3 were son's, it was way too much, there was a picture and it was a large tray,

We've gotten both the chocolate and vanilla cakes and they were very tasty.

Also chocolate covered strawberries and the fruit and wine basket which I think there may be photo of in my review below. Both were wonderful.

Someone recently posted a photo of the sushi tray which they said was really good.

Anyone have any miniature reviews and/or pictures on the Fun Shops offerings? I've seen the strawberries time and time again. Not too keen on ordering the cheese plate as I believe I can just get that from the main dining room basically. What about the assorted pastries tray or the canapes? Fruit? I know there is tons of food on the ship but we don't have the budget for major pampering, so this looks like a little splurge that might be nice.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I posted the picture of the dessert tray and sushi - it was very good and they called to ask when to deliver so it would be fresh. Here is the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012333

I have purchased several things from the fun shops and have been very happy with it all.

Tam

We have had the fruit, cheese and wine basket, the vanilla cake and the strawberries and were very happy with all of them!

Going for the sushi tray in a couple of weeks! I looked wonderful in Tam's pics so we are looking forward to it!

Kim

Curious to why you need to order food for the cabin

The s

Cafe has awesome slabs if cake for 2.25

Fruit and cheese can be had off buffet. Just ask for aciver. It will be fresh

I went on an all girls cruise a few years back and DH surprised me with a wine & fruit basked... it had cheese & crackers, some fruit and some kind of candy I think.... the crackers were stale, the fruit was bad by the second day- it was really a negative after the happy surprise of finding it in my cabin when I got on the ship... plus with all the food, we really wouldn't have likely eaten much of it anyway. Like others have said, that kind of stuff is available everywhere for free.

Two things that I have received that I really appreciated though:

That same trip DH gave my friend and me a Carnival Beach set- bag, towel and I think a water bottle... the bag and towel came in VERY handy. I still use the beach bag.

The second thing I really liked were the chocolate covered strawberries on our last cruise... the CD sent them to us because we were celebrating our anniversary and DH's birthday. They were yummy and just a touch of elegance!

I've had the cake before but in the dining room, not sent to our cabin... it was okay- again, with so much dessert around, it probably would have gone to waste in our cabin.

Edited by Shaded Lady

I know that there is fruit and all the desserts we can imagine around the ship. My husband and I have been married for four years and haven't had a vacation since 2008. So, if I want to splurge the $18 to have Sushi delivered to the room while we are relaxing, I don't see how that's a point of confusion? The same for the other options. There is a whole dessert section on the menu, yet people still order occasion cakes to be delivered to them in the dining room. Why? Because they mark a special occasion how they want to.

Thanks for the comments. I had the same concerns regarding the freshness of any fruit ordered. :(

DH and I ordered the smallest pastry tray last cruise. We knew we wouldn't eat it all right away so just planned on putting leftovers in the fridge. Still more than we needed, but it was a fun splurge. If we were to do it again I think I would right away go and find someone to give a few of the pieces to. We arranged to have it delivered at sailaway on the Valor.

DH and I ordered the smallest pastry tray last cruise. We knew we wouldn't eat it all right away so just planned on putting leftovers in the fridge. Still more than we needed, but it was a fun splurge. If we were to do it again I think I would right away go and find someone to give a few of the pieces to. We arranged to have it delivered at sailaway on the Valor.

I don't think I have the option of a fridge, as we are on Fantasy. However, my mom and step dad will be joining us so I might just have to split the tray and leave some sweets for them!! It might make me friends with my neighbors, never know!!! It's just the canapes and cheese tray that I am feeling leery about. We've already placed an order for chocolate covered strawberries, also. I might not get to vacation for six more years, gonna make sure I get my splurge on (realistically).

Again, thanks all!

We do it because it is just a fun and special thing to do! I always order the strawberries and we have a champagne toast with chocolate strawberries after sail away - a toast for a fun and relaxing cruise!

Ordered the sushi tray this time because my DS and his GF will be joining us. They are both major sushi lovers and since the sushi bar is no longer, just something I thought they would enjoy!

We are sailing on April 19, which is our Anniversary. I also ordered the Happy Anniversary decorations with 4 chocolate chunk cookies! I'm pretty excited about this - even though I know I can get cookies from room service. It's just "special" to have them in the room waiting for us!

It's just the fun things in life!

Kim

We ordered the chocolate cake for our anniversary. It was good, but even the smallest was entirely too much for 2 people. We threw over half of it away at the end of the cruise. I love the strawberries from the coffe shop & was thinking about ordering some this time around to have when we board.

Curious to why you need to order food for the cabin

The s

Cafe has awesome slabs if cake for 2.25

Fruit and cheese can be had off buffet. Just ask for aciver. It will be fresh

The stuff you order from the shops are not the same as what is on the ship.

I'm not a fan of any of the cakes on the ship, but do like both of the offerings from Fun Shops. Also you can get a message written on it and card for special occasion or surprise.

Handing someone a slab of cake from the cafe doesn't have quite the same effect. ;)

The fruit basket we got included much more variety and better quality than what is offered on the ship. It also included nuts, dried fruits, cheeses(not the kind on the ship) and I think chocolates, oh and wine. And of course a basket with a big bow and card. None of which can be found elsewhere on board.

While Carnival can sometimes nickel and dime you at every turn, I do believe they offer a good product and price for the foods in the Fun Shops.

We order a few food items on each cruise and, unless Carnival makes some drastic change, will continue to do so.

• 4 weeks later...