Venice Embarkation Question

brendabrown

We are due to sail from Venice on the 4 June on the Ventura. P&O tell me that our cases will be delivered to our cabin having checked in at Birmingham. The flight is due to land at 9.15am so I expect us to be at the port for 10.30 ish. This could leave us plenty of time to walk into Venice before we check in at the terminal. Has anybody done this and can give guidance of whether this is possible, the latest time to check in would also be useful. I am mindful that there will be a safety drill to attend etc. etc.

The reason I ask this question is I suspect that once you complete the check in process within the cruise terminal it would not be possible to then go wandering around Venice.

We are all looking forward to reading more reports of the fly cruises. I too would like to walk into Venice. We are departing 23/04. I am hoping that the ship will dock at the big cruise terminal that has the people mover close by. I hope that we will have enough time before muster. I don't have any idea what time the ship departs though. I will report back when we get back.:)

We are due to sail from Venice on the 4 June on the Ventura. P&O tell me that our cases will be delivered to our cabin having checked in at Birmingham. The flight is due to land at 9.15am so I expect us to be at the port for 10.30 ish. This could leave us plenty of time to walk into Venice before we check in at the terminal. Has anybody done this and can give guidance of whether this is possible, the latest time to check in would also be useful. I am mindful that there will be a safety drill to attend etc. etc.

The reason I ask this question is I suspect that once you complete the check in process within the cruise terminal it would not be possible to then go wandering around Venice.

I don't see why one you have checked in on the ship you cannot leave and go into Venice. Of course you will have to be back for the lifeboat drill.

Remember this is all very new and the first cruise has just sailed. The answer is no one knows yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Will be embarking in Venice in July hopefully around midday. Given we don't sail until early evening hoping to get on board, drop bits in cabin, grab a quick bite to eat then head of into Venice for a few hours before heading back onboard to unpack, safety drill and then set sail.

Will be really interesting to here the feedback from those heading onboard over the next few cruises?

I've done Venice a few times, its quite possible to walk the beautiful back streets of Venice to the main square in about 20 minutes. Come out the port gates then turn right at the train depot. Then we just hugged the main canal as much as we could otherwise we just followed east. Its nice to be off the touristy bits and see how the locals live. As a guide you can see the tower of St Marks square from the ship and you can see the ships from the canal to the south of St Marks square so its easily done without a map on a clear day (last year it tipped it down for a day and the square flooded).

Edited by CCFC

We embarked in Venice when we were on Ruby Princess and we travelled out to Venice by overnight train from Paris. When we arrived we went straight to drop off our luggage (which you wouldn't have to do) then headed off for the day in Venice. We then came back about 45 minutes before check-in closed to get on board. Check-in was in a large 'shed', well sign-posted but a bit of a walk from the port gates. This was when we did what we usually do at check-in in Southampton.

We've been to Venice a few times and we've done what CCFC suggested and walked into St Mark's. We've also walked out of the port gates and turned right to the People Mover (overhead railway). This took us into Piazza le Roma and as we came out of the station turned left and looked beyond the buses. From there the Grand Canal was clearly visible. We then jumped on a vaporetto and saw many of the fantastic sights of Venice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, we flew into Venice from Birmingham. We were on the ship for about 12:15, cabins were available at 1. Muster drill was at 6. We went into Venice using the P and O shuttle boat which cost £15 return. Sail away was 7:30. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, we flew into Venice from Birmingham. We were on the ship for about 12:15, cabins were available at 1. Muster drill was at 6. We went into Venice using the P and O shuttle boat which cost £15 return. Sail away was 7:30. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what i wanted to know, so plenty of time to visit Venice in the afternoon :)

Does anyone know what time the London flights arrive in Venice?

Thank you

flight time from Gatwick is 2 hours 10 mins plus add on the 1 hour time difference. My 7.40 am flight arrives in Venice at 10.50.

the returm leg is only 1 hour 10 mins ;) :)

flight time from Gatwick is 2 hours 10 mins plus add on the 1 hour time difference. My 7.40 am flight arrives in Venice at 10.50.

the returm leg is only 1 hour 10 mins ;) :)

Thank you -so I guess there is time to get on board for lunch then go back into Venice for a stroll/ look around?

Thank you -so I guess there is time to get on board for lunch then go back into Venice for a stroll/ look around?

I should think so, apparently lifeboat drill is at 6pm and as some passengers will be half way through their 14 nighter there must be normal arrangements for leaving and boarding the ship.

You have 2 choices, walk out the port and take the people mover to Pizza Roma. There you can catch a Vaporetto, there are several routes. Or you can get the P&O 'shuttle' which leaves from inside the port direct to St Marks square.

Depending on the weather and my mood i might take the people mover and catch Vaporetto route 1? all the way to the Lido via the Grand Canal, then return.

Thank you

We were in Venice last year so familiar with people mover and vaporetta which worked well so would use this again.

Not booked yet -trying to decide whether to hold out in the hope of reduced saver deals later. Recent fly cruises have reduced in price quite significantly. Anyone any thoughts if this likely to continue-looking at the 10th September.

Slightly different question. What time do they want you off the ship if you have a late flight back. Can you stay on board until mid afternoon ?

Yes you can and you can also go a shore while you wait. Two weeks ago a Gatwick flight was called at 5pm.

Jim.

Johnsanders Thank you, very helpful.

Smileon Who knows what future prices will be. We were going to wait until later this year but decided to book the Ventura departing this Wednesday at £679 for 14 nights, only an inside, but we don't mind, for that price with flights, it's a steal.

We went from Genoa -> Venice recently. There whole thing was very organised, so plane -> bus -> ship. I don't doubt you could make your own way, but at your own risk.

Venice Airport was a mess, so you might be a bit on the optimistic side. But it is possible. It is nowhere near Venice itself (e.g. the city), it's out on the mainland, they are linked by a long bridge. There are probably very good public transport links though. The port itself is probably about 45 minutes from Venice however you go.

We found it quite efficient, we were on board late morning / early afternoon which would give time to explore Venice. Really though, if you want to get a day in your exit or entry port, you might be better off booking a stopover.