Our Carnival Liberty Experience 3/29-4/5/14

Thank you for your review. It was funny and interesting. Your family is beautiful.

Thanks for reading along and the compliment!

Thank you for your review. You have a beautiful family - either that or all of you are deceptively photogenic. Since I'll be sailing Liberty with my teen sons in July I especially liked your insights into what interested your sons. I laughed at the part about Grand Turk. I too imagine my guys wanting to enjoy the vibe (translation: girls in swimsuits) at Margaritaville, but like you, I shouldn't be too surprised if they decide that's not for them. I have one picky eater. I'll have to make sure he knows there's no shame in ordering from the kids' menu. One big difference, mine will not get on the dance floor - well, one maybe. But they will use the basketball court. Any other hints for my boys? Did your guys like touring OSJ? Our plan is just to tour the forts, but should we do the whole thing? And where did your sons find the best snorkeling? Oooh, I think I'm starting to be a pest. Well, answer if/when you get a chance. Thanks

Sorry it took so long to respond, I needed to talk with the boys first before responding, as we did not actually tour the forts, just took some pictures from outside. They said "that would have been fun, so we can do it next time." LOL- I guess that is their way of stating OSJ should be a destination on our next trip. They did enjoy the touring especially since we were in air conditioning.

Snorkeling was great in St Thomas @ Coki Beach- you'll see the most fish near the rocks (Coral World).

As for Grand Turk, the boys recently stated that they kind of wish they had stayed @ M'ville-the vibe was hyped up but yet another reason we should return to Grand Turk so they can "check it out properly".

Please let your sons know they can sign out a basketball from the Towel Hut @ the Lido pool-they just need to show their sign & sail card.

Make sure they go to the first night at their clubs- Circle C or Club o2- this is how they meet the other children on the cruise-after this you might not see very much of them-LOL.

We laid out a few rules:

1-when we get off the ship in port, you get off the ship with us-this is non negotiable.

2-Be ready for dinner @ 6:30pm- as we all eat dinner together, just like at home.

3-Be respectful of others -no screaming or running in the halls-PERIOD- if I had of found out they broke this rule there would have been a price to pay!

4-Have fun.

We also let them stay out until 1:30-2am -yes this is way later than they are allowed on land (they turn into pumpkins at midnight normally) but on the ship after club activities they would head up to Pizza Pirate to eat and hang out. This might or might not work for your family but it did seem to work for ours.

Hope this info helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Happy Sailing!!!

• 1 month later...
dang...I really wish we could cruise again soon.........really missing Liberty right now!!!

Great review! Thanks for all the time and effort. We'll be on the Liberty next month, and was wondering where the "good eats" was where I believe you said they had hot dogs and chips if you asked?

Thanks!

buffalo - thank you so much for your thorough response to all my questions. I'm just now seeing it. Actually, my teens are a little older than your teens - my 18 and 19 year old are too old for club 02 this time; my 16 year old is looking forward to it, though - and I think the other two are a little jealous; but you sound very much like us - we've been on three previous cruises and always insist on meeting up for dinner together; in the past we also insisted on getting on and off the boat together; now that they're older I might not insist that the boys get off with my husband and me, but that they stick with each other in the ports

I feel very sorry for you that your cruise is now a fading memory; I'm so happy for me that my cruise is coming - FAST!!!! well, not so fast, but it is coming

again, thank you for posting - we haven't been on the liberty and your review just makes me so so excited

dcwalker- no problem. How I wish I could go with you :D. DH has said we will not be waiting until the next DS graduates (which is three years), so hopefully next year we will be able to do a cruise for just the Adults again :eek: (we shall see).

I have to tell you, depending on how many kids are onboard your 18 & 19 year olds might be able to partake in Club o2 activities- our boys had a few 18 yr olds & a 19 yr old in there club that week.....

buffalo-

I wish you could cruise with us, too!!! Your boys could get my boys onto the dance floor. We could sip fruity drinks together. I'm hoping we'll take another cruise in two years when we have another graduation, too. The oldest should be finishing 4 yrs of college and the youngest will be graduating from high school. After that I imagine us flying apart, everyone going their separate ways - so that would be our last great family vacation. People tell me it doesn't necessarily work that way. We'll see. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your next cruise - AND that you'll do another review.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Awww, we were on this cruise with you but never met. Just re-read it again since I noticed you did the Godfrey tour in St. Thomas. I am looking at booking this as we have been to STT twice and still have never really seen the island. We did a Carnival tour on the Liberty cruise and had a blast drinking the rum punches! :eek::D. We are going to be booking this same itinerary on Glory in Feb for our grand daughters first cruise leaving on her 5th birthday. :D. Hoping to make it to HMC this time. :rolleyes: we did the tour in OSJ and then heading back to the ship since it was so hot. We did stop,at the craft fair, I think it was the same one you mentioned and I bought earrings for DD and a necklace for myself. Looking forward to another beach day in GT. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Edited by 2 cruzen

Awww, we were on this cruise with you but never met. Just re-read it again since I noticed you did the Godfrey tour in St. Thomas. I am looking at booking this as we have been to STT twice and still have never really seen the island. We did a Carnival tour on the Liberty cruise and had a blast drinking the rum punches! :eek::D. We are going to be booking this same itinerary on Glory in Feb for our grand daughters first cruise leaving on her 5th birthday. :D. Hoping to make it to HMC this time. :rolleyes: we did the tour in OSJ and then heading back to the ship since it was so hot. We did stop,at the craft fair, I think it was the same one you mentioned and I bought earrings for DD and a necklace for myself. Looking forward to another beach day in GT. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Thanks 2cruzen, I just re-read through my review again as well. I am hoping to book a cruise out of NOLA for early June 2015, I have a conference and what a way to either begin or end it with a short cruise, DH is suppose to come with me but pricing is not looking so good right now, I'll have to keep checking

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading your review and I really enjoyed it, and your beautiful pictures, very much. When we don't have a cruise planned, I really enjoy reading reviews of itineraries we've been on or ships that we've been on. We did the same itinerary (eastern) on Glory in 2010 and really, really enjoyed it...loved the islands. We did make it to HMC on that cruise and loved it. We didn't have a cabana, just used the loungers by the last cabana. When sailing into St. Thomas on that cruise, I also got pictures of the little tiny island. I finally found it on Google maps and saw that it's called "Sail Rock" and was surprised it actually has a name, or at least a nickname. We saw it again last year when we were on Valor out of San Juan for the southern itinerary. This year we were on Liberty for a western itinerary and we actually got on her they day you got off, on April 5, 2014. Our week really flew by though and next thing we knew we were on our flight home and flying over Carnival Liberty & POM shortly after our plane took off from MIA. It happened to be right around the same time we boarded her the week before. Liberty was 2 for 2 in missing ports...two weeks in a row. We missed Grand Cayman due to high swells and strong winds. This was a first for us, but at least we've been to Grand Cayman before. This was the first time we've cruised in April, so I don't know if that's typical of April or not. Again, I really enjoyed your review and hope you do another for your next cruises.

• 2 months later...
We received no obc for our cancellation of HMC last week. I just assumed there were no charges for that port since it is owned by Carnival? Now I'm wondering.....and, of course, can't find my original documents with the breakdown :)

quest2best- every one receives return of port charges (taxes) when a port is cancelled- Half Moon Cay or any other port. We also received a refund for the rental of the cabana at Half Moon Cay. Check your final bill it should show a some return based on port fees for Half Moon Cay (even though they own it).

Happy Sailing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading your review. You certainly have a way with words and photos! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share!! Your family is beautiful and refreshingly clean cut! I am now thinking of sailing on the Liberty in April out of Miami. Thanks again for all your time and effort!

Just started reading you wonderful review (only up to page 2) and looking forward to the rest. My last cruise HMC was one of the ports. Sorry you missed it as it was one of the best private islands I'd ever been to. Perhaps next time.

Edited by gizmo911

Just started reading you wonderful review (only up to page 2) and looking forward to the rest. My last cruise HMC was one of the ports. Sorry you missed it as it was one of the best private islands I'd ever been to. Perhaps next time.

gizmo911- thanks for taking the time to start reading my review hopefully when you get to the end you have either picked up a few tidbits or just enjoyed following our adventure.

Just finished reading your review. You certainly have a way with words and photos! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share!! Your family is beautiful and refreshingly clean cut! I am now thinking of sailing on the Liberty in April out of Miami. Thanks again for all your time and effort!

Cruiser 2 too- thank you for reading my review and the kind words about my family. You should give Liberty a try- it's a great ship!

Happy Sailing!!

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

• 8 months later...