Tentative Itinerary given to us by TA

Sarah's concern (or one of them) is that she only has a 95 min connection time between Arriving into the US from Europe at Charlotte NC and connecting to her domestic flight home.

So we are not talking about short connecting times in Europe. But rather is 95 minutes enough time to go thru Customs & Immigrations with Grandpa and all luggage & carry ons in tow. Recheck bags and depending on what reviews and info you believe (Flyertalk, etc) still make it to their connecting flight.

I need to go back and see if the international flight and domestic flight is on same airline or at least a partner airline which will allow for transferring bags and not needing to recheck them.

Also found conflicting info as to whether they will need to go thru security again, I think they will but have found it both ways in researching this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nana,

No matter what airlines they are on, they will need to recheck their bags after customs. That at least is not a big deal as no matter what airline is the final one they simply need to make sure the bags are checked in Barcelona to final destination. Doesn't matter if it is a a partner or the same airline, almost all airlines interline baggage with the exception of SW and Jet Blue in some cases and doubt the connection is to either of those.

As far as going thru security, based on experience and googling the answer, yes, when coming into the US you always leave the secure area and have to go back thru security for your connecting flight. The incoming baggage area as well as the connecting baggage area are outside the secure area at all US airports.

Well I guess in one of those Over Planners, I plan for the worst and hope for the best :) my experience is if I do that then I have no trouble, but sure enough I don't well you know how that ends.....

So that being said if Sarah changed to the hour later flight, then her first flight will likely have been fine :) but if she doesn't well then she runs the risk of being stuck in Charlotte with Grandpa cuz that later flight will be oversold!!! JHMO :)

Any TA can pull up a seat map and reserve in main cabin and I am sure Regent can as well. Having been in the airline business for nearly thirty years and now retired.....thank Gawd. I don't want to panic the OP, but they must clear customs and immigration and the lines there can be huge and recheck their bags. LHR T-5 is a mess and yes you do need to go through security again.

From my perspective, I would never do this with an elderly parent or grandparent. If a delay or weather takes place you will be standing in a long line of people that are affected...not pretty. I think the OP's agent needs a realistic evaluation of tight connections on international flights.

I have seen people sleep on the floor at airports because of weather or cancellations for days. If you have acess to a comfortable lounge he will be much more comfortable or you just try to get an airport hotel room. And good luck with that.

Nana,I am quite aware of the problem. LHR can be very stressfull with people who have physical issues. Bear in mind you do clear customs and imigration at the first US entry point. I agree, the connection is the issue. Especially if other international flights are arriving at close to the same time. The lines can be long and you can miss your flight connection. They will not hold the connecting flight for anybody and they will close the doors ten minutes before departure to kick the fligh out on time.

This is a very tight connection. I have worked for TWA/AA for close to thirty years. I have seen it all.

Edited by Suite Travels

Please please Sarah upgrade to Business Class. How many more trips like this will your grandfather be taking? Be comfortable! And Business class will get you the lounge for that layover. And get the later flight!

I remember when we took Mom to Annapolis for the interment of Dad's ashes. I asked the banker about First Class for the trip--his response was --if not now , When?. It's only a $1000 expenditure that will make him so much more comfortable--and by doing that, you as well.

It's a wonderful trip--don't ruin it by having to rush around on the way back and be cramped and uncomfortable. Live every day.

Debi

Please please Sarah upgrade to Business Class. How many more trips like this will your grandfather be taking? Be comfortable! And Business class will get you the lounge for that layover. And get the later flight!

I remember when we took Mom to Annapolis for the interment of Dad's ashes. I asked the banker about First Class for the trip--his response was --if not now , When?. It's only a $1000 expenditure that will make him so much more comfortable--and by doing that, you as well.

It's a wonderful trip--don't ruin it by having to rush around on the way back and be cramped and uncomfortable. Live every day.

Debi

Thanks Debi - it's not my money to upgrade but I did impress upon grandpa that people on this board were highly suggesting we upgrade to biz class bc it was a good deal. Ultimately not my decision because I am not paying for it. I am fine flying coach and if gramps is fine flying coach then that is his decision.

Debi

I think we have all given some great advice. I hope everything goes well for grandpa. He is obviously not familiar what can go wrong flying.

I was told eons ago you cant't take it with you and the shroud has no pockets. This is from our Scotish friend.

Dang, We just went to Fresh Market and stocked up so we can have food in the fridge when we get back and the bill was close to $700.00 but it will last us for a few months.

I hope you have a great cruise without incindents.

PS: Did he buy travel insurance?

Edited by Suite Travels

Tell your _Grandpa that a long- time Grandpa of six and a great grandpa of ONE KNOWS that you should UPGRADE to BC to make the entire experience LUXURY and COMFORT!!!!!!! It's an adventure of your LIFETIME!

GO FOR IT!!!!!

TRUST ME!!!

I've taken all my grandchildren to Europe on land trips and cruises!

My granddaughter Lydia told me she was studying about the nations I'd taken her to - PRICELESS!

It was WORTH every Penny.

( And I had NO property or bonds etc. to sell,)

There are Much MORE Important things than money!

Edited by TedC

Ted, you and others are on the same page on this thread. If I had grandparents..now deceased. I would never let them do this. Grandpa needs to be comfortable from flight to cruise and enjoy the time of his life. That being said, my grandfather would not worry about a few hundred dollars. He worked for sixty years and enjoyed what he had earned and treated us to some nice trips which I am so thankful for. I never went on a cruise with them as I was still in college. If I had the chance I would pay it forward to make my grandparents comfortable?

They. certainly would be handled with kit gloves after all they have done for me.

I think that grandpa is firmly in charge of his pocketbook, remember he wanted nothing to do with the deviation fee, so I guess the upgrade to BC would be really out of the question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

PS: Did he buy travel insurance?

He isn't that familiar with flying in recent years but mom and I have been helping....

Holy crap $700 on groceries? I hope it lasts the month! Here in the US I go shopping once a week and we spend about $500 for the month total. Lately due to our schedules and lack of cooking at home - we will do smaller trips to Trader Joes for things as needed.

Yes gramps got us both travel and medical insurance for the trip - since Medicare (for him) doesn't cover anything outside the US and he has been known to have the occasional issue crop up! Ya never know

I think that grandpa is firmly in charge of his pocketbook, remember he wanted nothing to do with the deviation fee, so I guess the upgrade to BC would be really out of the question.

Good memory Nana! I tried to impress upon him that the $500pp for upgrade was worth it but who knows. He will chat with inept TA tomorrow!

Oh Sarah I hope he comes to his senses as he really will be exhausted from that long international flight, at least go over in comfort so he can arrive fresh and not in pain. You want him to be able to enjoy this trip and not spend 2 or 3 days recovering.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are Much MORE Important things than money!

Agreed. But it is what it is.

This will the be the FIRST trip grandpa has EVER taken me on - and I was Third choice at best ;) I volunteered to go instead of my mom going.

He has never taken any of his grandchildren on any trip....

I understand that once he has his mind set there is likely no changing it, stubborn.... Maybe just doing it one way might go over a bit easier.

I'm betting at this point he has his mind made up and heels dug in!

You are going to have a wonderful trip no matter what! Enjoy :)

Nana, please belive me. We are going on Crystal from Tokyo to Los Angles. Formal nights are now optional and I am NOT taking my tux and my partner told me to take it. Not a chance. All the other nights are resort casua or informal.

I stick to my guns since I make all the travel arrangements and ignore my partners comments. At the end of the day and trip he appreciates my efforts. But I win all the time

Sara, I am not fine with your grandpa and you flying coach. The business class deal is too good to be true. I fly using miles, but if I didn't have them, I would definitely be taking this deal. And I am the ultimate bargain hunter.

Nana, please belive me. We are going on Crystal from Tokyo to Los Angles. Formal nights are now optional and I am NOT taking my tux and my partner told me to take it. Not a chance. All the other nights are resort casua or informal.

I stick to my guns since I make all the travel arrangements and ignore my partners comments. At the end of the day and trip he appreciates my efforts. But I win all the time

Had to laugh about your comment about ignoring your partners comments:D

As TedC can testify, getting a wheelchair and an attendant to push it in Charlotte is a sometimes thing.

Two years ago coming back from Rio on a late early morning US Air flight, Ted C and I were scheduled for wheelchairs to catch tight connections from Charlotte, but there was only one attendant available at the arrival gate. Without my wife's help (she pushed Ted) we wouldn't have made it. And I recall it is a very long way to immigration, baggage pickup, customs and then to the departing gates in Charlotte. Were it me, I'd call the travel agent, Regent, and US (American) Air, in that order, to resolve this, and I'd do it tomorrow.

TedC is absolutely right, having a good, competent travel agent is an absolute essential. And passing up $499 business air upgrade to Europe is penny wise and thousand pound foolish, IMnsHO!

Edited by countflorida

Not to mention they will be in the back of the plane. When they park at the gate everybody gets up and collects their belongings at a snails pace. The clock is ticking and you have more to do before boarding your connecting flight.

As others have mentioned a good TA should know this and advise you. If you miss the flight you will be just sitting there with no lounge access and tired and the agents will need to rebook you or reroute you.

Ok, I give up. Everybody on this thread has given you some great advice. I would hate to end my luxury cruise all stressed out.

I wonder if the OP knows that BA also has Premium Economy seats on their flights? This is less expensive than BC and offers greater comfort than Economy (coach) Might be worth looking at.