Soot problem on aft balconies of Breakaway/Getaway?

Hi all....I just booked the last aft Haven Penthouse suite on the Getaway sailing 8/30/14. I'm a bit concerned about what I'm hearing that there appears to be more soot than typical for these ships. We're on deck 9.

Can those of you that have sailed on these ships in the aft balcony rooms chime in on your experience regarding this?

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

C'mon now

You would cancel a spectacular cabin on an amazing ship just because of a little soot?

Are you sure you should be cruising? There can be rocky waves too :)

Just teasing. You have one of the best cabins booked on any ship. ENJOY!!!!

I've done aft cabins on Breakaway and Getaway (as well as a variety of other ships) and it's absolutely true that these ships have an issue. The soot stained our clothing and the abnormally strong gas odor made using the balcony unpleasant. I've been on decks 12 and 11, and in trying deck 9 soon. Hopefully 9 will be better since it's further down and more enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi all....I just booked the last aft Haven Penthouse suite on the Getaway sailing 8/30/14. I'm a bit concerned about what I'm hearing that there appears to be more soot than typical for these ships. We're on deck 9.

Can those of you that have sailed on these ships in the aft balcony rooms chime in on your experience regarding this?

Thanks.

I was in an AFT on the Breakaway in June. I was on deck 10 and didn't notice anything at all.

Harriet

WE are on Breakaway Aft H6 (formerly S6) the only Ship we encountered soot on previously was the Sky in an AFT Suite and it was bad- had clothes issue problems also. Boy I thought it was just a problem with an Older Ship as we have sailed on the Jewell Class Ships in an Aft Suite, never experienced this. I am a little disappointed, we were looking forward to much time on the balcony- sure we still will use it, but forewarned will be in our NCL bathrobes!!

We are on Deck 11- any others getting sooted upon in this area?

We were in an aft S6 a few weeks ago on the BA 11308. The pillow cushions on all the lounge chairs were filthy with soot. The head housekeeper changed them all for us and honestly we did not notice anything really bad that week other than the balcony deck floor having some build up. . My guess is that it was a build up on the cushions and previous guests just did not complain. I would not book it again my personal preference is in the Haven.

Edited by mommyto2girls

Thanks.

Wats suite number? I've 9316 11/15/14!!!

We had 9316 on the Breakaway - and had no soot issues at all. Probably because a lot of the balcony space is covered. LOVED the cabin so much we booked the same one on the Getaway for February 2015 and the Escape for 2016! ;) :D

Here is a link to my fb photos of our cabin on the Breakaway - if you're interested. You do not need a fb account to see the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201028887301742.1073741827.1154291247&type=1&l=22213e86c7

Wats suite number? I've 9316 11/15/14!!!

You're on the same sailing as us! we're booked in a h7 forward facing penthouse, but are considering moving to an aft balcony.

We like the room layout of the h7- but don't like the balcony.

love the balcony of the h6- don't like the floor plan very much.

We had 9316 on the Breakaway - and had no soot issues at all. Probably because a lot of the balcony space is covered. LOVED the cabin so much we booked the same one on the Getaway for February 2015 and the Escape for 2016! ;) :D

Here is a link to my fb photos of our cabin on the Breakaway - if you're interested. You do not need a fb account to see the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201028887301742.1073741827.1154291247&type=1&l=22213e86c7

Wow.....thank you so much for those pics!!!!!!! Oh and for easing my concerns. I'm so ready to go NOW!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

We're on the Breakaway October 5th in a M6. Just for kicks I looked to see and 9316 is still available. But holy guacamole, its so expensive. Looks fabulous, but unless I'm offered an amazing upgrade or hit the lottery there is no way we can justify spending that much money (there are 3 of us).

Wow.....thank you so much for those pics!!!!!!! Oh and for easing my concerns. I'm so ready to go NOW!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Happy to help. I'm sure you will not be disappointed!! ;)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're on the Breakaway October 5th in a M6. Just for kicks I looked to see and 9316 is still available. But holy guacamole, its so expensive. Looks fabulous, but unless I'm offered an amazing upgrade or hit the lottery there is no way we can justify spending that much money (there are 3 of us).

You could look into the forward penthouse (don't go with deck 13-hull balcony...the reason we upgraded to aft. Or the courtyard penthouses sleep 3. But you have the bigger balcony port side so you can view fireworks! ;)

That's why there are so many choices! Something for everyone. ;)

We tend to book WAY out - when the pricing is more reasonable. In fact I checked our pricing today and it's quite a bit more that we paid - so I see that as a win. ;)

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tanks!

There is enough sun on the balcony? I lake sun!!!!

Non-smoker here. I just find it odd that people are not worried about the soot. If it is thick enough that it needs to be cleaned up daily, stains clothes and require you to sit on towels, I would be more worried about the soot going in my lungs. Kind of like sitting behind a diesel bus in traffic breathing in all the fumes. So much talk about smokers on the balcony.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Thanks.

We were in 9918 on breakaway last July and there was no soot n no smoke. Best cabin ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app