Snorkeling- Money Bar

jelayne

A few years ago we went to the Money Bar & went snorkeling. Wasn't crowded, service was good. Does anyone know if it is still there? Anyone been there recently? Would appreciate an update on this place.

Thanks.

Snorkeled there just a few weeks ago. We actually didn't utilize the bar at all, just went to snorkel and had our own equipment, but the place looked lovely and the snorkeling was fantastic!

Can't wait! 19 days to go, we will be staying nearby at El Presidente and will have our own snorkeling gear too!

Do be careful when entering the water....when we got there, we were kind of to the north of the bar area just a few feet, and didn't realize we could use the entrance built into the water...my husband went to test out the water or rinse his mask or something and slipped on the rocks. Fell hard, hit his elbow pretty hard and we didn't even realize it until a few minutes later that he was bleeding pretty bad from a gash in his elbow. We were so worried about him being hurt otherwise since he did kind of hit his head too!

He was ok for the most part, but his elbow was pretty swollen and bruised up very bad. The bruising is gone now, but he still has some tenderness there and it's been 3 weeks now. We were very lucky all things considered!

So anyway, just be sure you enter the water from the stairs and use the rails until you are safe in the water!! And have fun!

Here's where hubby slipped and fell:

Cozumel3-24-14112.jpg

On the left you can see the stairs where you can enter the water much safer!

Cozumel3-24-14117.jpg

OH MY goodness that would be disastrous if that happened to my husband as he has a new hip replaced. So sorry your dh got hurt , healing does take time on a fall like that. Awesome photos, thank you!

Edited by ISLABONITA

OK, so Valentinebaby1 stole everything I wanted to post :p, but with way better pix than I could have provided! :rolleyes: We snorkeled at the Money Bar four weeks ago (March 17). It was cloudy and the water was very choppy and a little cool, but we had a great snorkeling experience, and saw pretty much what Valentinebaby's pix showed. I would recommend it! Total cost: $20 RT for the cab, tip included, and $5 for a locker. (We did not eat at the restaurant.)

I would warn snorkelers that there are a lot of power boats around (mostly snorkel boats, actually) and they go right out from the dock at the Money Bar very near most of the shore snorkelers. It made me nervous how close the boats came to independent snorkelers (not those in their own groups), especially those who swam out a ways from the rocky shore -- it seemed a little dangerous. I am sure the boat drivers are used to watching for snorkelers, but still, keep your wits about you!

The Money Bar is directly across the street from the Landmark Hotel, where you can find a cab to take you back to your ship. You will need to tell the cab driver which pier your ship is docked at -- Punta Langosta, Puerta Maya, or International Pier. Otherwise, give him the name of your ship and he can look up which pier to take you to.

Thanks for the tip about being careful while in the water, we have a diving flag we will probably use even though we are not divers but at least it will be more visible.

We are staying at El Presidente for 5 days and it's about 1 mile down the road from Money Bar.. which I prefer to call formerly known as Dzul-Ha :D

This will be our 3rd time to Cozumel but the longest stay.

Before getting to Coz we will be at Paradisus La Esmeralda across the way at Playa del Carmen and plan on getting to Akumal for snorkeling there too and Half-Moon bay.

Edited by ISLABONITA

OK, so Valentinebaby1 stole everything I wanted to post :p, but with way better pix than I could have provided! :rolleyes: We snorkeled at the Money Bar four weeks ago (March 17). It was cloudy and the water was very choppy and a little cool, but we had a great snorkeling experience, and saw pretty much what Valentinebaby's pix showed. I would recommend it! Total cost: $20 RT for the cab, tip included, and $5 for a locker. (We did not eat at the restaurant.)

I would warn snorkelers that there are a lot of power boats around (mostly snorkel boats, actually) and they go right out from the dock at the Money Bar very near most of the shore snorkelers. It made me nervous how close the boats came to independent snorkelers (not those in their own groups), especially those who swam out a ways from the rocky shore -- it seemed a little dangerous. I am sure the boat drivers are used to watching for snorkelers, but still, keep your wits about you!

The Money Bar is directly across the street from the Landmark Hotel, where you can find a cab to take you back to your ship. You will need to tell the cab driver which pier your ship is docked at -- Punta Langosta, Puerta Maya, or International Pier. Otherwise, give him the name of your ship and he can look up which pier to take you to.

lol :) We were there pretty early...around 10am island time. Luckily we didn't have the same issue with the boats and the water was very calm the morning we were there. But we didn't really stay anywhere near the dock at the Money Bar...we started out heading north of the bar, and ended up well south of the dock, which if I remember correctly is where we saw the wreckage in the water where the fish were abundant. If I remember correctly, it was the original dock from the Money Bar that was wiped out from Hurricane Wilma back in 2005

Thanks for the tip about being careful while in the water, we have a diving flag we will probably use even though we are not divers but at least it will be more visible.

We are staying at El Presidente for 5 days and it's about 1 mile down the road from Money Bar.. which I prefer to call formerly known as Dzul-Ha :D

This will be our 3rd time to Cozumel but the longest stay.

Before getting to Coz we will be at Paradisus La Esmeralda across the way at Playa del Carmen and plan on getting to Akumal for snorkeling there too and Half-Moon bay.

We also went to Akumal! It was an amazing day! The snorkeling at Akumal beach was not a big deal, very little to see other than the giant sea turtles of course :)

Cozumel3-23-14112.jpg

This guy was probably 5' long!

We left on the 7am ferry from Coz to PDC and had an appointment for a time share presentation that we got suckered into...but they gave us $180 in US cash, plus free breakfast and then took us by hotel shuttle to Akumal, which would have been another $30-40 cab ride from PDC. It was not a high pressure sales pitch, we were able to walk out pretty easy with cash in hand as promised...lol, which paid for our entire day!

There's an Akumal Beach webcam that we watched for weeks before going, so it was fun to find the camera and actually be in the same spot that we had been virtually visiting for weeks! We had a wonderful lunch with a very strong liter of margaritas that we shared at the restaurant where the camera is hanging...We stayed at the beach until sunset and took a cab back to PDC (talked them down to $25) but ended up tipping well because he was just such a nice driver...gave us Spanish lessons all the way back to PDC and then took us to a little area full of local street venders because I was dying to find Tacos De Cachete and he knew exactly where to take us for that (and the Tacos were the best ever!). He gave us directions to walk back to the ferry. We took the 8pm ferry back to Coz and it was Sunday night. Most Sunday nights in Coz, in the clocktower plaza area it's just a big local party. We got back there in time to enjoy live music, lots of dancing, and it was neat seeing all the local children dressed up in their finest clothes.

Sorry for hijacking the thread lol

Awesome, thanks for the info about Akumal..

I have been watching the webcam and plan to get there early and rent a golf cart to go around the area , Half-Moon bay and possibly Yul Ka as was mentioned on tripadvisor by some regular visitors.

Awesome, thanks for the info about Akumal..

I have been watching the webcam and plan to get there early and rent a golf cart to go around the area , Half-Moon bay and possibly Yul Ka as was mentioned on tripadvisor by some regular visitors.

Here's some pictures of LocoGringo (where the webcam is) but from the water...

Facing the camera:

Cozumel3-23-1439_zpsc30f9a2a.jpg

Close up of the camera

Cozumel3-23-14135_zpsb929e89b.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/Jim_Nielsen/Cozumel3-23-14135_zpsb929e89b.jpghttp://

From the table at LocoGringo right under the camera

Cozumel3-23-14159_zps11a76ef8.jpg

From the boat we always see tied up in the picture...the Matanceros

Cozumel3-23-14314_zpsc92a53ff.jpg

Cozumel3-23-14316_zpseb286d96.jpg

And one more from the beach facing the camera

Cozumel3-23-14322-e_zps1a2aebf3.jpg

14 days to go!! thanks for the photos

Here's some pictures of LocoGringo (where the webcam is) but from the water...

Facing the camera:

Cozumel3-23-1439_zpsc30f9a2a.jpg

Close up of the camera

Cozumel3-23-14135_zpsb929e89b.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/Jim_Nielsen/Cozumel3-23-14135_zpsb929e89b.jpghttp://

From the table at LocoGringo right under the camera

Cozumel3-23-14159_zps11a76ef8.jpg

From the boat we always see tied up in the picture...the Matanceros

Cozumel3-23-14314_zpsc92a53ff.jpg

Cozumel3-23-14316_zpseb286d96.jpg

And one more from the beach facing the camera

Cozumel3-23-14322-e_zps1a2aebf3.jpg

Edited by ISLABONITA

Book marking this to read later since we will be returning to Cozumel in November and need some place new to go. This is probably the most pictures I have ever seen someone post of this place. :D

Of Akumal? I have a whole bunch more if you'd like me to put some up.

Of Akumal? I have a whole bunch more if you'd like me to put some up.

No of Money Bar. You usually don't see a lot of pictures posted about the place. I have found a few on the internet, but it didn't show the areas in these pictures.

You said Akumal was over at Playa del Carmen right? Since I really don't want to waste part of our stop in Cozumel to take a boat over there, it's not really an option for us. :(

No of Money Bar. You usually don't see a lot of pictures posted about the place. I have found a few on the internet, but it didn't show the areas in these pictures.

You said Akumal was over at Playa del Carmen right? Since I really don't want to waste part of our stop in Cozumel to take a boat over there, it's not really an option for us. :(

Oh ok...gotcha. I don't have a lot of pictures of the Money Bar, just a bunch of pictures from the snorkeling. It was a beautiful place to snorkel! I'll go there next time I go to Cozumel!

Oh ok...gotcha. I don't have a lot of pictures of the Money Bar, just a bunch of pictures from the snorkeling. It was a beautiful place to snorkel! I'll go there next time I go to Cozumel!

I would love to see the snorkeling pictures if you care to share. :)

I would love to see the snorkeling pictures if you care to share. :)

Jkirkn is my hubby...I posted the best photos of the day from the money bar already...before getting off on the tangent about Akumal lol...sorry about that! I'm sure he'll post some more though... :)

Jkirkn is my hubby...I posted the best photos of the day from the money bar already...before getting off on the tangent about Akumal lol...sorry about that! I'm sure he'll post some more though... :)

Oh ok. Thanks so much for the pictures and tell him to please do post more if he has them. :D