Coolgm

Coolgm

Has anyone been turned away on a cruise because of documentation. Or has anyone been able to present alternate documentation that was acceptable. I am asking because Puerto Rico voided all birth certificates prior to 2010.

Has anyone been turned away on a cruise because of documentation. Or has anyone been able to present alternate documentation that was acceptable. I am asking because Puerto Rico voided all birth certificates prior to 2010.

As long as you have acceptable ID as put forth by the US passport office, you'll be fine:

*"Closed Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen and you board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship, you may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

Without a passport the minimum requirement is a government-issued photo ID (like a driver's license)

PLUS one of the following:

1) Original or copy of birth certificate. (Except - As of October 30, 2010 the Department of State only accepts Puerto Rican birth certificates issued on or after July 1, 2010 as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship.)

2) Consular report of Birth Abroad

3) Certificate of Naturalization

If you don't have these, you're out of luck.

Hi, I see you did ask about this in another thread; people replied to you there - did you not see those answers? You seemed to realize you may not be able to cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2027450

Some times new people are not use to the forums and others have told them to start a new thread

Ease up a bit ..we were all new once

Edited by LHT28

You would get the proper answer by calling the cruise line & ask to speak to a supervisor

If you have trouble find your previous posts click on your I.D. then "find all posts"

or "USER CP" top left

You would get the proper answer by calling the cruise line & ask to speak to a supervisor

That's generally the best way to get the wrong answer! LOL

OP, yes, people have turned away for not having the proper documentation.

Hi, I see you did ask about this in another thread; people replied to you there - did you not see those answers? You seemed to realize you may not be able to cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2027450

I was the person who suggested that the OP start a new thread since their question was posted on someone else's thread and not relevant to the question asked by the OP on that thread. I suggested that by starting their own thread, they would have a broader audience and receive relevant answers.

Cruise Critic has wealth of knowledge and experience through its diversity of cruisers. I have received help here in the past and I had hoped that this person might receive some beneficial help by starting their own new thread. Most CC members are kind and helpful.

Can anyone offer suggestions based on personal experience?