Sunshine repositioning cruise makes one question Carnival's position on limiting FTTF

NavarreCruiser

As most of you know, Carnival's stated policy on FTTF is that this perk/excursion will not be offered if a cruise has an excessively large quantity of Platinum and Diamond cruisers sailing. On the Sunshine repo from NOLA to Port Canaveral there were 765 Platinums and 61 Diamonds. Yet the day before debarkation, CD Jamie requested that because of these large numbers and the additional cruisers who bought FTTF to please not leave before their announced time came.

As most of you know, Carnival's stated policy on FTTF is that this perk/excursion will not be offered if a cruise has an excessively large quantity of Platinum and Diamond cruisers sailing. On the Sunshine repo from NOLA to Port Canaveral there were 765 Platinums and 61 Diamonds. Yet the day before debarkation, CD Jamie requested that because of these large numbers and the additional cruisers who bought FTTF to please not leave before their announced time came.

I may be wrong, but from what I've read they offer 15 FTTF no matter what. They then release 15 more depending on the number of P & D cruisers.

I imagine they are going to try and sell as many of these "packages" as possible trying desperately not to let the unsuspecting notice. It all pure profit to them. Free money. And they are going to try and suck as many participants as they possibly can, in.

How strange....I was on the Sunshine repo cruise...heard that same announcement by the CD.....all I thought was huh...sure sounds like alot of Platinum and Diamond folks on this cruise....no additional questions came to mind...

How strange....I was on the Sunshine repo cruise...heard that same announcement by the CD.....all I thought was huh...sure sounds like alot of Platinum and Diamond folks on this cruise....no additional questions came to mind...

Someone who gets it!

Without the handful of FTTF folks there would not be priority cabin availability or priority luggage for the overpopulation of Platinum people. Unlike FTTF, there is no limit to the number of Platinum cruisers.

You could fire a canon off and not hit a FTTF person, but would likely take out a few dozen Platinum cruisers. Platinum cruisers have met the enemy, and it is them.

For those who don't like it, there is always Princess with 30,000+ Elites.

Eventually Carnival will have to divide the Platinum cruisers into groups with FTTF fitting somewhere in the middle. It's not a cutback, it is reality.

Loyalty doesnt mean much to Carnival. They found a way to get $ 50 from a bunch of passengers while watering down loyalty program and they will keep doing it.

Amen brother! Just look at their pricing and continuous ads!! They are begging people to book! Yes everyone has had some cutbacks but Carnival has taken this to the absolute extreme!! Its called "devaluation" without regard to anyones loyalty. With 26 Carnival cruises I used they were my first choice for a long time. In the last two years, I have had seven cruises, only one on Carnival. They have ruined the experience.

Makes sense. Plus with the numbers the OP provided, that was just a little over 25% of the passenger capacity. Doesn't sound like an excessive amount to me.

I imagine they are going to try and sell as many of these "packages" as possible trying desperately not to let the unsuspecting notice. It all pure profit to them. Free money. And they are going to try and suck as many participants as they possibly can, in.

First off, they sell them in blocks of 15 That's a dot compared to passenger capacity.

Second. FTTF is OPTIONAL for people who want to blow $50, just as the steakhouse is $35 a head, just like off ship excursions are optional.

First off, they sell them in blocks of 15 That's a dot compared to passenger capacity.

Second. FTTF is OPTIONAL for people who want to blow $50, just as the steakhouse is $35 a head, just like off ship excursions are optional.

The steakhouse and the excursion has a cost to it. fTTF has none. You missed my point.

Makes sense. Plus with the numbers the OP provided, that was just a little over 25% of the passenger capacity. Doesn't sound like an excessive amount to me.

This post just shows that cruisers with limited cruise experience don't know what "excessive" is. We were at the diamond level before the VIFP program was announced. We have been on 23 Carnival cruises since then. The normal number of Platinum cruisers ranges from about 50 to around 200, with these average cruises usually having 2 to 25 Diamond cruisers. So this cruise was way above "normal" levels, and definitely reaches the excessive level.

The steakhouse and the excursion has a cost to it. fTTF has none. You missed my point.

...VERY poor example.

...Family of 4 walk into the Steakhouse. Bill is $140.

...So, where is there more profit? $50 FTTF or the profit of the $140 tab in the Steakhouse.

...But, I do disagree with the FTTF program. For the $1,000 per ship that they are "profiting", IMHO, it's not worth pi$$ing off the Plats and Diamonds.

Edited by Doug910
spelling

This post just shows that cruisers with limited cruise experience don't know what "excessive" is. We were at the diamond level before the VIFP program was announced. We have been on 23 Carnival cruises since then. The normal number of Platinum cruisers ranges from about 50 to around 200, with these average cruises usually having 2 to 25 Diamond cruisers. So this cruise was way above "normal" levels, and definitely reaches the excessive level.

Oh pardon me for not being as superior as you. I was referring to the faster to the count in terms of excessive. Obviously Carnival didn't see the number high enough to eliminate it on this sailing. I've read posts with sailings where it has been due to the number of diamonds and platinums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Oh pardon me for not being as superior as you. I was referring to the faster to the count in terms of excessive. Obviously Carnival didn't see the number high enough to eliminate it on this sailing. I've read posts with sailings where it has been due to the number of diamonds and platinums.

You just make my point! Many Platinum and Diamond cruisers resent FTTF as a program that allows people to buy (for as little as $12.50/person) many of the benefits that cost those repeat cruisers a lot of money. When this backlash hit Carnival's response was to assure the Plats. and Dias. that FTTF would not be offered if too many Plats. and above were booked. That is obviously not the case! Please refer me to any post that indicates Carnival did not offer FTTF on a cruise due to the "number of diamonds and platinums"

Someone who gets it!

Without the handful of FTTF folks there would not be priority cabin availability or priority luggage for the overpopulation of Platinum people. Unlike FTTF, there is no limit to the number of Platinum cruisers.

You could fire a canon off and not hit a FTTF person, but would likely take out a few dozen Platinum cruisers. Platinum cruisers have met the enemy, and it is them.

For those who don't like it, there is always Princess with 30,000+ Elites.

Eventually Carnival will have to divide the Platinum cruisers into groups with FTTF fitting somewhere in the middle. It's not a cutback, it is reality.

Over population of Platinum people? Its the repeat cruisers that bring them tons of business, and also share the fun they have with others and bring new cruisers along... Perhaps you are right and they will have to divide the Platinum cruisers into groups... but perhaps FTTF won't fit in the middle.. that would be so wrong to put someone who buys the Platinum perks above any of those who earned it... Perhaps they will just do away with FTTF...:D

...VERY poor example.

...Family of 4 walk into the Steakhouse. Bill is $140.

...So, where is there more profit? $50 FTTF or the profit of the $140 tab in the Steakhouse.

...But, I do disagree with the FTTF program. For the $1,000 per ship that they are "profiting", IMHO, it's not worth pi$$ing off the Plats and Diamonds.

well stated.

Oh for heaven's sake... this is another reason CCL should not offer FTTF. Many people that are not Plat or Diamond seem to think that those of us think we are superior. It is not true at all. Remember, we were all first time cruisers once... Never in my life, at any point in my life, have I thought that I was superior to anyone. Far from it. I actually think it is sad when I read things like what you posted because we are no different than you. We have earned perks for cruising numerous times... that's all. Just like frequent flyer miles... or discounts you get for spending so much on a credit card that has travel rewards... please... don't be a hater... it's really pretty silly...

Over population of Platinum people? Its the repeat cruisers that bring them tons of business, and also share the fun they have with others and bring new cruisers along... Perhaps you are right and they will have to divide the Platinum cruisers into groups... but perhaps FTTF won't fit in the middle.. that would be so wrong to put someone who buys the Platinum perks above any of those who earned it... Perhaps they will just do away with FTTF...:D

Or perhaps the loyalty program will be done away with and all can buy whatever perks are important to them. That should lower the overall cost of cruising for most while generating more revenue.

I also wouldn't mind Carnival linking perks to number of shares of CCL stock owned. 100 shares for the generous OBC would continue, but for a 1000 shares perhaps more OBC. Let those who say they are loyal really put their money where their mouth is.

I don't see FTTF people complaining about the huge numbers of Platinum people clogging up the system, but I do see some Platinum posters complaining about relatively few FTTF cruisers.

It is the repeat cruisers who complain the most and spend the least.

Or perhaps the loyalty program will be done away with and all can buy whatever perks are important to them. That should lower the overall cost of cruising for most while generating more revenue.

I also wouldn't mind Carnival linking perks to number of shares of CCL stock owned. 100 shares for the generous OBC would continue, but for a 1000 shares perhaps more OBC. Let those who say they are loyal really put their money where their mouth is.

I don't see FTTF people complaining about the huge numbers of Platinum people clogging up the system, but I do see some Platinum posters complaining about relatively few FTTF cruisers.

It is the repeat cruisers who complain the most and spend the least.

when is a perk not a perk? when everybody has it.

It's not uncommon to have providers match status for guests of their competitors in order to try and 'steal' frequent travelers. Surprised cruise lines haven't done the same for those who can prove they spend X amount of dollars on the competition.

Also, surprised that a proviso hasn't been added that those who have reached a certain elevated status achieve a certain dollar expenditure or minimum travel every year or so as to to retaining their perk level.

I bought FFTF for upcoming cruise and really look forward to being able to drop our carryon bag in our cabin after boarding. I can't say I am familiar with the specific levels on CCL (other than we will hit Gold next sailing and likely never hit the next level since they raised the bar:rolleyes:) and am confused as to the initial post as to the announcement:confused: