Santa Barbara tender problem?

MomC

Could those of you who have recently sailed on the California Coastal cruises tell me if there is a problem with long wait times to board the tenders into Santa Barbara if you are not taking a ship's tour? We want to go on an independent wine tour and need to know what time we can realistically expect to get off the Crown Princess and arrive on shore. I have heard this is a long, tedious process. Is that accurate??

As always. CC guests are the absolute best sources of information. Thank you in advance.

Mom C

We were on the Crown two weeks ago and experienced long delays because of fog. The tender boats had to move at very low rate of speed and had to be accompanied by a pilot boat. Because of this I think it would be very difficult to schedule a tour at a certain time.

We were there in late January. Had no problems in the morning with the tenders going into Santa Barbara but fog caused delays in returning to the ship around noon. People wanted to catch a tender to shore at that time had a 45 - 60 minute wait I believe. Sounds like its a bit of a crap shoot.

Fog can cause delays and is beyond anyone's control. We were also on the Grand last week and were in no rush so didn't get off the ship until mid morning. Minimal wait for tender but... When we were within spitting distance of the dock, there was some sort of hold up and we just bobbed around for about 15 minutes. You just never know, so make sure there is some flexibility in your tour schedule. Have fun.

If you are not going on an excursion make sure you have a pocket full of quarters for the trolley into town, saves a long walk. Trolley also will take dollar bills but if you are a senior it's only a quarter for the ride.

If you are not going on an excursion make sure you have a pocket full of quarters for the trolley into town, saves a long walk. Trolley also will take dollar bills but if you are a senior it's only a quarter for the ride.

Thanks for the tip. We just booked the Sept 13th Pacific Coastal Wine cruise, and there are no excursions. I don't know if we booked too late. You give me an alternative.

Thanks for the tip. We just booked the Sept 13th Pacific Coastal Wine cruise, and there are no excursions. I don't know if we booked too late. You give me an alternative.

Do you mean that all of the excursions are sold out? Or they just haven't posted them yet?

I have been on 2 coastal wine cruises, and they always had excursions in Santa Barbara and other ports. Maybe keep checking back on Cruise Personalizer?

Hi - the excursions likely just aren't available yet. We are on the Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise in a couple of weeks and there are excursions in every port. You may want to keep checking.