Austrailia New Zealand combo ?

My wife and I would like to do an Austraila / New Zealand combo cruise. Is it practical ? When would be the best time to go ?

with a combo cruise do you mean doing a cruise from Sydney to Auckland and then Auckland to Sydney, if so its a b2b

with the weather thats a bit of a lucky dip at times but some people say feb-march is a good time

I agree, the weather can be variable, which is relevant anywhere. Some cruise ships leave from Sydney and go around NZ back to Sydney. Some go Perth around NZ to Sydney, some Sydney to Auckland.

Where are you from, what are you interested in seeing and doing. The cruises can have so many different levels of activity/scenery and some companies do land tours at the end or start. Some months can be hotter. If you are looking to do northern Aust you may consider hurricane season.

I might be a little biased, but most people I speak to do enjoy seeing Australia and NZ. :D

Edited by goodycruising

I'm having a hard time trying to decide between Australian, New Zealand or the South Pacific for our cruise next year. We live in South Florida so we do have our fill of beautiful beaches, although we thought we were sold on doing the south pacific, but lately thinking it may bore us.

We will definitely do some time exploring Australia by land on our own. Kangaroo Island for sure and McLaren Vale wine region.

Would love some advice on which ports were a highlight. It will be my 31 yo daughter and I. I know it really depends on our likes, dislikes. We typically sail Royal or Celebrity.

My wife and I would like to do an Austraila / New Zealand combo cruise. Is it practical ? When would be the best time to go ?

We are doning a B2B on Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Perth around bottom of NZ and Perth to Sydney around the top end of Australia. Is that combo enough for you. Cruise departs AKL: 8 Feb 2015. You are limited to the summer because that's when the cruise liners come down away from the Northern Winter

Edited by Beanb41

I'm having a hard time trying to decide between Australian, New Zealand or the South Pacific for our cruise next year. We live in South Florida so we do have our fill of beautiful beaches, although we thought we were sold on doing the south pacific, but lately thinking it may bore us.

We will definitely do some time exploring Australia by land on our own. Kangaroo Island for sure and McLaren Vale wine region.

Would love some advice on which ports were a highlight. It will be my 31 yo daughter and I. I know it really depends on our likes, dislikes. We typically sail Royal or Celebrity.

I think you would enjoy the NZ experience more so than the P.I.s Plus NZ has wineries too :p. What sort of time frame are you looking at?

We are doning a B2B on Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Perth around bottom of NZ and Perth to Sydney around the top end of Australia. Is that combo enough for you. Cruise departs AKL: 8 Feb 2015. You are limited to the summer because that's when the cruise liners come down away from the Northern Winter

This itinerary is probably the winner for the full combo but without knowing time constraints it is hard to comment.

For Me, Sydney and Auckland harbours are a must do, so any cruise (just about any combo cruise) that takes in those two ports would be fine.:D

Dawn Princess is doing an Australia and NZ combined cruise at the moment. D411 35nts

Sydney to Sydney Left 13 April 2014 to 18 May 2014. Not sure how to load my photo of the itinerary.

Try the Princess Website see if you can bring it up.

Nice one.:D

I think you would enjoy the NZ experience more so than the P.I.s Plus NZ has wineries too :p. What sort of time frame are you looking at?

when we originally were planning for a South Pacific only, we were putting it off until Oct or November 2015 timeframe (and Royal hasn't released those dates yet - any day now) as I thought there was less rain and the water is warmer for swimming/diving/snorkeling. But if we are now looking at NZ which months would be best for that sailing. I'm sure we'll still do an Australia land based tour. I would say we have to stay no longer than 3 weeks as we are both still working.

when we originally were planning for a South Pacific only, we were putting it off until Oct or November 2015 timeframe (and Royal hasn't released those dates yet - any day now) as I thought there was less rain and the water is warmer for swimming/diving/snorkeling. But if we are now looking at NZ which months would be best for that sailing. I'm sure we'll still do an Australia land based tour. I would say we have to stay no longer than 3 weeks as we are both still working.

For a cruise to the South Pacific it is best to avoid the summer months (November to February) when it will be very hot, very humid with a strong likelihood of rain.

Cruises to NZ operate mostly in the summer when the weather is best. In winter it will be very cold and seas probably very rough.

If you want to combine both countries in one cruise, then October or April will give you the best weather, although it will still be cold in NZ.

We chose the Diamond Princess itinerary for Feb 2015 leaving from Auckland and ending in Sydney. It allows for time in NZ pre-cruise and post-cruise in OZ.

We chose the Diamond Princess itinerary for Feb 2015 leaving from Auckland and ending in Sydney. It allows for time in NZ pre-cruise and post-cruise in OZ.

A great plan, how long do you get to spend in each country (pre and post cruise)?

Both have lots to see and do so be prepared.:D

A great plan, how long do you get to spend in each country (pre and post cruise)?

Both have lots to see and do so be prepared.:D

Thanks--we have limited time so 3 days pre-cruise with cousins at Whangarei and only 36 hrs in Sydney. We are typically quite tired after a cruise and need to get home.

Thanks--we have limited time so 3 days pre-cruise with cousins at Whangarei and only 36 hrs in Sydney. We are typically quite tired after a cruise and need to get home.

Not a lot of time and if you need time to recover as well it makes it shorter. Can I suggest a ferry to manly if the weather is nice. It is a great way to relax and experience the harbour, it is relatively cheap and very easy to do. It leaves from Circular Quay which is right by the OPT, so depending on your accommodation's location can be very accessible.:D

Not a lot of time and if you need time to recover as well it makes it shorter. Can I suggest a ferry to manly if the weather is nice. It is a great way to relax and experience the harbour, it is relatively cheap and very easy to do. It leaves from Circular Quay which is right by the OPT, so depending on your accommodation's location can be very accessible.:D

It's on my list of must-dos. Thanks.