Main dining room dress code: dark jeans and sneakers?

But...but.. but you're clearly bothered.

Wearing a nice pair of jeans, a coat & tie is not dressing poorly.

well i think your reading into my post and assuming , nice jeans tie and coat would not bother me in the least.

nor would jeans and a polo or open dress shirt.

now maybe i would look at a hill billy wearing dirty jeans and torn shirt and ball cap on, but again it wouldnt stop my enjoyment.

all im saying is how hard is it to go to the bloody goodwill and get khaki or dress pants for 6$ lol

i say wear what you want. people who write and complain about it have the issue. you paid your passage to take a cruise..its YOUR vacation not theirs. if someone has an issue with the way you dress, that is THEIR issue...if it ruins their cruise, then i feel sorry for them..enjoy your trip..

i do agree for the most part and it should never ruin someones trip, but at the same time i feel its a shame that people in general are sacrificing class for the sake of being comfortable. one or two night dress up its no big deal imo and can be fun to look sharp. if you dont want to go to buffet or the cafe if you aren't in the mood. thats understandable as well.

well i think your reading into my post and assuming , nice jeans tie and coat would not bother me in the least.

nor would jeans and a polo or open dress shirt.

now maybe i would look at a hill billy wearing dirty jeans and torn shirt and ball cap on, but again it wouldnt stop my enjoyment.

all im saying is how hard is it to go to the bloody goodwill and get khaki or dress pants for 6$ lol

Doesn't seem to be about the cost of the formal wear. The OP is trying to streamline their packing.

i do agree for the most part and it should never ruin someones trip, but at the same time i feel its a shame that people in general are sacrificing class for the sake of being comfortable. one or two night dress up its no big deal imo and can be fun to look sharp. if you dont want to go to buffet or the cafe if you aren't in the mood. thats understandable as well.

*Like*

Why does everyone on this web forum say "To each their own" and then whine and moan and carry on and tell people how to act and dress. What a bunch of hypocrites.

If it causes so much mental anguish you do realize you also have the option to go to the buffet or to specialty dining, dressed as nicely as you may wish to of course. Your options are not diminished by the clothing choice of others. You are entitled to an MDR dinner, everyone else is as well. Choose what makes you most comfortable and determine you will enjoy your meal, for you are an adult and if you are not comfortable in the MDR yourself no one is forcing you to stay.

I take pity on those who are so judgmental or otherwise affected by the clothing choices of others. But make no mistake, the "problem" is one of your own creation and in your own mind. People of confidence simply pay no attention to things which they can not control and do not impact them in any real way. Those that seek to control others are the ones with confidence and self-image issues. This is not directed towards any one person, but it is the truth.

I'd rather sit next to a fascinating person in a polo shirt than next to a blowhard in a suit (of which I have encountered enough to last a lifetime). I will allow neither of them to tell me what to do of course, I am an adult, not a sheep. On some formal evenings I wear a dark suit. On others I wear a sport coat and tan slacks. On others I wear jeans and a polo shirt or button up short sleeve shirt. I am always neat, clean, and presentable, for myself and for my wife. Not for you. Sorry, not sorry.

Goodtime: This is your opinion. To some people jeans, a coat and tie is dressing poorly.

But I again state. Royal Caribbean is a budget line and they don't care what you wear. Go for it.

Budget line? You must have A LOT OF disposable income because as for the hubby and I, we can only afford one cruise a year and seriously, WHY do you (or anyone else for that matter) give two figs what I wear to dinner. Just mind your bidness, eat your dinner and don't worry about what me and mine do at our table, geez people, lighten up. :p

By the way, just for the record, I DO wear an evening gown for formal nights and my husband wears a tux; HOWEVER, it is simply because I like sparkly things and he looks handsome in a tux, NOT because other patrons might get their knickers in a wad if we don't dress formal.:cool:

Why does everyone on this web forum say "To each their own" and then whine and moan and carry on and tell people how to act and dress. What a bunch of hypocrites.

If it causes so much mental anguish you do realize you also have the option to go to the buffet or to specialty dining, dressed as nicely as you may wish to of course. Your options are not diminished by the clothing choice of others. You are entitled to an MDR dinner, everyone else is as well. Choose what makes you most comfortable and determine you will enjoy your meal, for you are an adult and if you are not comfortable in the MDR yourself no one is forcing you to stay.

I take pity on those who are so judgmental or otherwise affected by the clothing choices of others. But make no mistake, the "problem" is one of your own creation and in your own mind. People of confidence simply pay no attention to things which they can not control and do not impact them in any real way. Those that seek to control others are the ones with confidence and self-image issues. This is not directed towards any one person, but it is the truth.

I'd rather sit next to a fascinating person in a polo shirt than next to a blowhard in a suit (of which I have encountered enough to last a lifetime). I will allow neither of them to tell me what to do of course, I am an adult, not a sheep. On some formal evenings I wear a dark suit. On others I wear a sport coat and tan slacks. On others I wear jeans and a polo shirt or button up short sleeve shirt. I am always neat, clean, and presentable, for myself and for my wife. Not for you. Sorry, not sorry.

Where is the "LOVE" button?????? and, I concur :D

WOW! So now you don't have any class if you don't go along with the status quo! WoW!

faint.gif

WOW! So now you don't have any class if you don't go along with the status quo! WoW!

faint.gif

wow lol i think some of you want to make more of it then it is . no i dont think its classless to not dress to the tee. some of you i think are trying to justify dressing down. hey if you want to then do it by all means its your life, i was just offering a suggestion so that the person would feel more comfortable because i know there are some mr snuttingtons that will look at them for dressing down on formal night.

Very well stated.............AGAIN!

i dont see anyone carrying on and moaning, why so defensive? wear what you like ,if you are neat i dont see an issue ,99 percent of people will not care.

i only see some suggesting what to wear ,no one is telling anyone what to wear.

i dont see anyone carrying on and moaning, why so defensive? .

You havent been around here long. This is likely THE highest debated topic on this forum. They can get really nasty and usually wind up being pulled by an Admin

AGAIN...Choosing to ignore OP is NOT helpful!:eek::mad:

Backpacking? Scotland? Stop me if ANY of that sounds familiar...:rolleyes:

Once again, they will have a great vacation & the police can keep their stink eyes to themselves!:p

YOU GO LMAXWELL!:D

i dont see anyone carrying on and moaning, why so defensive? wear what you like ,if you are neat i dont see an issue ,99 percent of people will not care.

i only see some suggesting what to wear ,no one is telling anyone what to wear.

You havent been around here long. This is likely THE highest debated topic on this forum. They can get really nasty and usually wind up being pulled by an Admin

True - but to his point, THIS thread has not become "really nasty", although there seem to be an abundance of warnings from the usual suspects (not you) that it will.

true, i see this is a hot button issue. im pretty neutral on it. my only suggestion was that its very easy and cheap to get dress pants and all. not that it would bother me or id lose sleep over it. lol

I was on the Independence last November on its first cruise back in Ft. Lauderdale. My general impression of dress in the dining room was that most people dressed up a little for dinner. On the formal nights, people were at least that dressed up, or a little more to a lot more. We did this, also.

For both regular nights and formal nights, I saw a few people dressed in shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, jeans, but they were in the minority. I look forward to my cruises for a long time and don't let what people wear or don't wear impact my cruise. I did comment to my husband while waiting in the picture lines that I was surprised how most people dressed up, having read threads like this one.

I will be on the Oasis in 16 days. :) I'm curious to see if there is any difference in how people dress for dinner, but I won't waste much time on it. Live and let live.

Credit goes to anyone willing to ASK instead of just DO, I think their heart is certainly in the right place there.

I'm not a jeans-on-formal-night guy at all but neither am I the kind of person who'll get all wound up if someone else is. As others have said, if the jeans are nice and well kept you ought to be fine. If you don't think you'll be comfortable, Room Service will treat you right, too.

However, do NOT get me started on the guy who wore a ball cap on Formal nights.

I was on the Independence last November on its first cruise back in Ft. Lauderdale. My general impression of dress in the dining room was that most people dressed up a little for dinner. On the formal nights, people were at least that dressed up, or a little more to a lot more. We did this, also.

For both regular nights and formal nights, I saw a few people dressed in shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, jeans, but they were in the minority. I look forward to my cruises for a long time and don't let what people wear or don't wear impact my cruise. I did comment to my husband while waiting in the picture lines that I was surprised how most people dressed up, having read threads like this one.

I will be on the Oasis in 16 days. :) I'm curious to see if there is any difference in how people dress for dinner, but I won't waste much time on it. Live and let live.

We dress up for formal nights as I bring 1 suit (Dark or Light, just depends on what I pull out the closet to pack) and two shirts and two ties to have a diffefrent look on both nights. I don't really give a rats A-- what other people wear on formal night or any other night. We do it just because we like to do it and not for any kind of tradition or the need to fill accepted by anyone! The reason you see people a majority of people dressed up in spite of what you read on here is because CC does not represent the mojority of the cruising public. Heck the majority of the cruising public don't even know the CC forum even exist, which I didn't before my 1st cruise and was almost to my second cruise before I discovered this forum. There are a lot of people like we were that read that they have formal nights when they read info before their 1st cruise and brought clothes for the occassion. I have never worn a tux even on the 1st cruise. I brought a suit and my thinking was I paid good money for this suit (Not just for the cruise) and if they don't let me in with this on, then I guess I will be out of luck. :cool:

Their driving factor, much like your opinion, is largely irrelevant here. They asked if what they wanted to wear is permitted, and as a matter of fact, it is. Let us supply them with the facts and let them make their own decisions. I don't particularly care why they don't want to wear formal wear and it has no bearing on my cruise enjoyment.
Disagree. The question arose from a concern about packing; therefore, it is appropriate to address the root of the problem. In this case, creative options do exist -- options that the OP may not have considered.

I think you summed up the biggest problem, You would feel uncomfortable if it was you. Just because you would feel uncomfortable, does not mean other would feel uncomfortable dressed like the OP asked. So you telling him he should not go to the MDR is your phobia of feeling awkward, maybe it's not his. He might feel perfectly fine walking in the MDR, even on formal night. I notice that you focus on the chandeliers and white table cloths. Those don't make a dining experience for some people. Some people are more concerned about the food and the company they are with. It is dinner on royal caribbean, not the queen mary.
I see you've assigned me a phobia now (reductio ad absurdum), when what I actually have is common sense; that is, sense to dress appropriately for the venue. Many things about the formal dining room are appealing, but the OP was asking about the setting (because the people are a part of that setting), not the food or company. If the OP had asked about desserts or making small talk with tablemates, I would've addressed those topics.

People of confidence simply pay no attention to things which they can not control and do not impact them in any real way . . .

I'd rather sit next to a fascinating person in a polo shirt than next to a blowhard in a suit

If you're concerned about confidence at all, just take a look at the ship's dress code -- they've spelled it out, and it's not difficult to follow. It's not even hard to be comfortable while following it.

Are the only two tablemates available the fascinating person and the blowhard? No one else exists? And we can identify them by their clothes?

Credit goes to anyone willing to ASK instead of just DO, I think their heart is certainly in the right place there.

Absolutely! Edited by MrsPete

The OP asked if it was allowed, fair enough it is allowed. Now just because its allowed does not mean its appropriate. One expects a certain amount of social grace and elegance on a formal night, if you are dressed like a slob and have poor table manners i suggest those people go have fun at the buffet. Some of us will be wearing suits and tux's and do not want to eat with such people around.