Noro and kids?

Scotto97

I'm wondering if a study has been done regarding the ratio of kids onboard a ship and the likelihood of a Noro outbreak?

My understanding is that Noro is spread by fecal contact, and we all know young kids are more likely to not wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Noro outbreaks also seem to get worse around the Spring break months. They also seem more prevalent on shorter cruises in warmer areas that would also have a higher number of children aboard.

I don't think kids are the culprits since people of all ages carry the virus on the ship. Perhaps Noro is more likely on a short cruise, I don't know but I have seen it quite a few times on longer cruises. Since there are more shorter (seven days or less) cruises than longer ones, the chances of it occurring on a shorter cruise are greater since there are more of them. Maybe it's more prevalent during school vacations because there are more people, including kids, who have been in large groups in an enclosed environment. You're far more likely to get Noro in a school than you are on a ship.

Btw, your main point is partially incorrect. The virus is shed in fecal matter yes but also aspirated vomit, and even saliva. Aspirated vomit is actually a much more aggressive means of mass disbursement as it aerosolizes and can coat a large surface with the virus quickly.

And isn't that a lovely lunchtime sentence to write.

Btw, your main point is partially incorrect. The virus is shed in fecal matter yes but also aspirated vomit, and even saliva. Aspirated vomit is actually a much more aggressive means of mass disbursement as it aerosolizes and can coat a large surface with the virus quickly.

And isn't that a lovely lunchtime sentence to write.

And for those who've had it, you know that it does come out both ends, many times simultaneously. Sorry, Loonbeam, just had to add that visual.:o

Oh yeah, but in terms of spread, one is way worse than the other (as to how it affects the patient, personally I think the other way around is worse.)

And for those who've had it, you know that it does come out both ends, many times simultaneously. Sorry, Loonbeam, just had to add that visual.:o

Oh yeah, but in terms of spread, one is way worse than the other (as to how it affects the patient, personally I think the other way around is worse.)

Well, yeah, when one end is contained in the porcelain throne, the other end has no where to go! You are entirely correct about the vomitus, as the other means of spread is usually contained in the patients clothing (I won't go into how much the incidence of clogged toilets due to underwear increases during a noro outbreak). :eek:

One way of contracting noro can happen before a passenger boards the ship: being on a flight. It's a closed space, and the passenger might not be showing signs of the virus until the cruise starts, but in the meantime may have exposed others.

And you'll be amazed at how many kids do take hand washing more carefully than adults. My daughter was a fan of trying out restrooms when she was very little so she can check out the soap in the dispensers. I remember when we were on a cruise when she was 7, and in the restroom outside the Horizon. We were washing our hands, and this woman comes out of a stall and goes straight out the door. We exchanged a look and a shrug.

I think that many times the noro comes on board. An infected person is starting to feel sick but does not want to miss the flight/cruise and loads up on Nyquil to seem well enough to board.

Surprisingly, I miss the day when you had to fill out the form saying that you were not sick before boarding. Seemed to me that if you lied on the form, then you would be responsible for ruining others vacations.

Although I still think that the Cruise Lines/Airlines need to change the policies so that sick people can cancel with no penalty and rebook at a later time. Raise the rates if necessary.

I think that many times the noro comes on board. An infected person is starting to feel sick but does not want to miss the flight/cruise and loads up on Nyquil to seem well enough to board.

Surprisingly, I miss the day when you had to fill out the form saying that you were not sick before boarding. Seemed to me that if you lied on the form, then you would be responsible for ruining others vacations.

Although I still think that the Cruise Lines/Airlines need to change the policies so that sick people can cancel with no penalty and rebook at a later time. Raise the rates if necessary.

I wouldn't have thought of NyQuil if I felt an upset stomach coming on. I thought it was just for colds. Will it help tummy troubles as well?

You can have noro (or other "bugs") and and be contagious BEFORE you start feeling ill...that's generally what happens.

Noro is in elementary schools...it can run rampant through the school population, and then, through those kid's homes!

I know (having had Noro), that if I DID have it prior to boarding, there is NO WAY I'd feel like getting on a ship, much less, out of my own bed!