Guggenheim Museum Venice

Port 11

We are sailing on Riviera In August and would like to see the Guggenheim Museum. Does anyone have any advice or tips on the best way to do this.

The Oceania excursion seem very expensive?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

peggy.jpg

Gorgeous and very worthwhile, but small small small, don't let the Guggenheim name make you picture an elaborate set up.

piantaPGC_eventi_eng.jpg

Also not air conditioned, so the August weather may work against you, this is not a museum that one ducks into after a long day of touring in order to mellow in the cool. :cool:

The Audio Tour is well worth it, the Restaurant less so (although it is just fine for a coffee or a coke).

I've been to the Guggenheim twice, and both times the Roof Terrace (which is supposed to be glorious) was closed for a Private Event. I hope that you have better luck.

spaces03_553.jpg

The Guggenheim was not our favorite place to go as it is small and most of the important works are elsewhere. Still it is interesting but I would give it a B- or C+ as an attraction.

If you do go be sure to see the statue on the canal and hopefully there will be school children there giggling. The grave is kind of poignant with all the pets.

venice%20185.jpg?gl=US

venice%2520187.jpg?gl=US

venice%2520189.jpg?gl=US

We would not book in advance unless you are crushing in July or August.

We booked on the internet and were turned away at the door by a guard who told us in Italian, the museum is closed for a private party, to which my husband said " but we have tickets for today" to which he answered," things happen."

On our next visit to Venice we just paid at the door, no problem.

It' a lovely small museum in a beautiful setting. Well worth a visit in my opinion.

Do you have to book in advance?

Where can you pick it up?

No, Vap lines No 1 (more stops) and No 2 (less stops) run from Piazzale Roma to San Marco (St Mark's Square) and back all the time. So just show up at PR (when you get out of the People Mover) and one will be there in no time at all. The Grand Canal is the main artery of Venice and all you need is a 24/48/72 vap ticket. Vap No 1 takes about 35-40 mins, No 2 roughly a quarter of an hour less. When you reach St Mark's Square you can see these

[YOUTUBE]2aYMiTZUnKw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Jh7lPFe12ao[/YOUTUBE]

or you could jump on another vap and head off to Murano. If you can arrange to be in St Mark's Square in the evening you'll witness the duelling orchestras, shown at the end of this one. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]Hw3ucTjFta0[/YOUTUBE]

The Guggenheim was not our favorite place to go as it is small and most of the important works are elsewhere. Still it is interesting but I would give it a B- or C+ as an attraction.

If you do go be sure to see the statue on the canal and hopefully there will be school children there giggling. The grave is kind of poignant with all the pets.

There is one Jackson Pollock painting that I thought was worth the entire price of admission. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the painting but I can tell you it is the first evidence of Pollock using the drip and splatter technique that became his signature mature style. Since I have a strong interest in modern art, seeing this particular painting was very meaningful.

Here's what I remember about its location, although the curators may move things around considerably: It is in the galleries that show the Pollock's earlier work. It is hung on a wall that has a small window in the middle. There is a painting to the right and left of this window. One of those paintings looks like the Pollock paintings you've already seen in the galleries and, then, there's this painting. Half of the painting is rather conventional, but half is the drip and splatter style. The work in the next gallery is all drip and splatter.

Fascinating!

If you want to know more you can read:

Mistress of Modernism The life of Peggy Guggenheim by Mary Dearborn

It is available on Kindle.

It gives good insight to her life and her struggle against the wealthier Guggenheim family.