Are these dress's to formal?

My daughter and I have chosen these dress's for the two formal nights on out upcoming cruise.

Royal Caribbean, Sydney to Tasmania, it's a 10 night cruise so we will have two formal nights.

The long dress's are the two I have chosen, the short dress's are what my daughter has chosen.

Could you let me know if you think they are "too" formal?

Thank you.

ImageUploadedByForums1398494112.248804.jpg.2e82c73052a4ae0ee0011e41d95ceb13.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1398494132.092311.jpg.59c24ccccaa74d61ca4d7c8cccc4255b.jpg

Also my son has picked this outfit, he is 12, but not a normal 12 year old, he is on the autistic spectrum and is about the size of a 7 year old.

Would this be suitable for him?

Thank you.

ImageUploadedByForums1398494206.249009.jpg.a51de6a32aa7ba3e369458d4645b8cc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What beautiful dresses,I think that you will both look stunning.

Personally I don't think that they are "too formal" as they are stylish and elegant.

The outfit for your son is perfect, and as we would say here in the north of England,

He'll look as "smart as a carrot".

What beautiful dresses,I think that you will both look stunning.

Personally I don't think that they are "too formal" as they are stylish and elegant.

The outfit for your son is perfect, and as we would say here in the north of England,

He'll look as "smart as a carrot".

Thank you for your reply,

I guess I am having second thoughts, because I see so many people on the RCCL board, saying how much they hate formal nights, and no one dress's up, they wear jeans to the dining room!

I have been really looking forward to the formal nights and so have my family, but now u am unsure, so just looking for others opinions on the attire we have chosen.

"As smart a as carrot"

Lolz, I have never heard that before, gave me a chuckle 😜

No, not too formal at all, you will look fantastic. Those dresses look amazing. You will see plenty of people in formalwear still; but not everyone. Just don't worry about those who are not and enjoy your formal nights the way you want to.

Thankyou, I was really happy with our choices, and I still am, I guess I just needed reassurance that we were not going to be the only ones on formal night, not wearing jeans and tops.

The dresses are gorgeous! Wear them! It makes me happy to see women wearing these because these days, "formal" seems to have gone by the wayside. I miss seeing the ENTIRE dining room in formal attire. I recall cruising 20 yrs ago wherein almost every man was in a tux and every lady was in a floor length "gown." And I'm in my 50s . . . wear them and have a wonderful time on your vaca!!!

My daughter and I have chosen these dress's for the two formal nights on out upcoming cruise.

Royal Caribbean, Sydney to Tasmania, it's a 10 night cruise so we will have two formal nights.

The long dress's are the two I have chosen, the short dress's are what my daughter has chosen.

Could you let me know if you think they are "too" formal?

Thank you.

[ATTACH]310715[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]310716[/ATTACH]

Also my son has picked this outfit, he is 12, but not a normal 12 year old, he is on the autistic spectrum and is about the size of a 7 year old.

Would this be suitable for him?

Thank you.

[ATTACH]310717[/ATTACH]

Those dresses are beautiful! Who cares if everyone else is in jeans, your family will look fabulous!

The dresses are gorgeous! Wear them! It makes me happy to see women wearing these because these days, "formal" seems to have gone by the wayside. I miss seeing the ENTIRE dining room in formal attire. I recall cruising 20 yrs ago wherein almost every man was in a tux and every lady was in a floor length "gown." And I'm in my 50s . . . wear them and have a wonderful time on your vaca!!!

THANKYOU for your kind words, I can not wait to wear my gowns, I wish I could have seen what you describe, it would have been amazing.

I never have the chance to look so pretty, so I am very excited.

Those dresses are beautiful! Who cares if everyone else is in jeans, your family will look fabulous!

I totally agree with this comment - and the others posted. Yes, there will be others that are not dressed up or only dressed up for dinner and then a quick run back to the room to change. But, the dresses are beautiful and I love how they match - you will make other people smile because you cared about your appearance. I expect that you will be getting many many compliments.

The dresses are beautiful, wear them.

Those that will be in jeans will be underdressed, not you!!!!!

You can never be "too" formal on formal night! If others wear jeans, it's they that will be "out of place"...not you!

Seems like, so many of you are saying I will not be the odd one out.

I had horrible visions, of my family being the only ones dressed up, and being stared at like freaks!

I totally agree with this comment - and the others posted. Yes, there will be others that are not dressed up or only dressed up for dinner and then a quick run back to the room to change. But, the dresses are beautiful and I love how they match - you will make other people smile because you cared about your appearance. I expect that you will be getting many many compliments.

We really put thought into our outfits, my daughter and I have very similar tastes, and I agree, we will look like we match, without wearing the same thing. My husband will wear a black suit, white shirt, with a black, white & silver tie. My daughter didn't want a full length gown, I guess that age group do not think it's cool?

But I am very happy with the two dress's she has chosen.

I especially love the white dress, I wish I wasn't in my 30's, I would love to wear that dress sometime!

But I fell it's more for the younger age bracket. Haha ohh to be 20 something again :-)

People online will say that no one dresses up, but I've never been the only one in a gown on formal night even on Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe these people are saying this, so that new cruisers like myself, get swayed and do not come prepared with the correct attire?

Therefor adding to the fading out of formal nights?

I just love the whole idea, of being on a ship, wearing beautiful clothes, it reminds me of the titanic. Yes a little cliche, but I love all that stuff.

I think I was born in the wrong era. Haha!

People online will say that no one dresses up, but I've never been the only one in a gown on formal night even on Carnival.

I definitely agree with this.

Many people still dress up for formal night and many still dress nicely for non-formal nights. You and your family will fit right in. Enjoy your cruise.

Maybe these people are saying this, so that new cruisers like myself, get swayed and do not come prepared with the correct attire?

Therefor adding to the fading out of formal nights?

I just love the whole idea, of being on a ship, wearing beautiful clothes, it reminds me of the titanic. Yes a little cliche, but I love all that stuff.

I think I was born in the wrong era. Haha!

I'm sure that's part of it. I love dressing up for all kinds of special occasions and I consider a cruise no different. It's fun to take the pictures too!

They are gorgeous dresses and your family will look great. Go for it! I would much rather be overdressed than underdressed and I find more and more people in my generation (late 20s to early 30s) do the same thing. Hopefully, it's making a comeback :)

While we are part of the group who no longer do formal nights (we eat in the buffet those nights), I think your dresses are absolutely stunning, you and your daughter will look gorgeous and your son will be very handsome. Go for it!

We are about to go on cruise number six with RCI. I have always worn long dresses on formal night, as well as my daughters. I say go for it! You will see a bit of everything, but they don't call it formal night for nothing. :D

Of your family on formal night! I think you will look beautiful. In fact, I want the second gown!! We are cruising for New Year's with extended family and I think we are all dressing up. I am searching and can't find what I like. Now I have and, unfortunately, it appears to be in your closet in Australia!!:p Wear the clothes and enjoy them knowing that your family is gorgeous!!