San Juan Questions

PamW

We are sailing out of San Juan next Sunday on AOS, but are getting in the day before. DH had a question, and since I did not know the answer, I thought I would come to the experts.. :D

How safe is the water to drink in San Juan?? The last thing we want to do is to get sick the day before, or the day of the cruise. Needless to say that would spoil some of our fun. :p We have been there twice before on past cruises, and I honestly don't remember hearing anything about the water, but we always bought bottled water just in case.

Also, since we will be there for an entire day, does anyone have any suggestions on places to go for lunch and dinner? We are staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan, but don't want to eat at the hotel.

Thanks so much for your help. You all are the very best!!!! :D

Happy Sailing Gang!!

Pam

Water is safe to drink.

Dinner>>>Right across the street (Braumbaugh St) from your hotel is a ground floor restaurant called "Mofungos"(sp). Had dinner there a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Local P.R. food is generally excellent. Enjoy.

Thanks Richard!! I really appreciate your help. We were a little concerned about the water. :p What type of food does Mofungos serve? Not that we are picky, but we have a 14 year old with us. :D Actually, he likes most everything, but just curious.

Thanks!

Pam

I agree with RichardK,

Go out the front door of the hotel and right into the building across that narrow street. The building is called a mall. The food is great, the service was good and the prices were the best. :) The hotel food was very overpriced and really not that good. When we were there in December, they were open for breakfast and lunch also.

Their water was fine.

We had a fantastic meal in May at El Patio de Sam on Calle de San Sebastian. We went with a group of 10 -- this restaurant was recommended to us by a native Puerto Rican now living in our area when we asked where we should go. We were initially surprised (read: concerned/disappointed) to see that the menu seemed largely Americanized, but when we talked with our waiter he recommended some of the Puerto Rican dishes -- we and found it to be excellent (one of our group referred to it as "one of the top five meals" of his life). We especially enjoyed the churrasco, beans and sweet plantains.

It was fabulous!

Here's a third vote for the restaurant across the street! I love tostones (fried plantains) and they have a sauce they serve it with that was great! There is also a "diner" type place called El Jiberito that is best visited during the day that also has great authentic food.

The Parrott Club on Fortaleeza. Local PR food and Caribbean. Live music at night.

We loved this place! Last time we were there it opened for dinner at 6 p.m. Get in line early as it's popular but worth it. :)

The water in San Juan is perfectly safe to drink. We've done 7 cruises out of San Juan, going in the night before, and have never gotten sick. We love the Parrot Club (363 Forteleza), a short walk from the Sheraton - we've eaten there 4 times. We've also enjoyed a couple of restaurants at El Convento, including the tapas bar there for lunch one day.

I can't answer your questions as we flew in the day of sailing but we just returned today & it was FABULOUS!! You will have a great time!! Any questions, please feel free to ask. I will post a lot of info tomorrow.

Did you do the bioluminescent kayak/swim or talk to anyone who did? Looked incredible and wondering if worth taking long excursion to experience...

Thank you all so much for your suggestions... It just makes me wish we were going there 2 days ahead instead of just one. :p I will make sure and post my review when I get back. Again, thanks so much.

Happy Sailing Gang!

Pam

Guest OBAYbee
Thanks Richard!! I really appreciate your help. We were a little concerned about the water. :p What type of food does Mofungos serve? Not that we are picky, but we have a 14 year old with us. :D Actually, he likes most everything, but just curious.

Thanks!

Pam

Since I am cruising this month to Puerto Rico I looked up the water safety issues (with the Viegues bombing range) on the CDC site. Very informative. I plan to drink only bottled water, but then again I do that already here in Alabama any way.

Here is the url http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?action=search&queryText=%22puerto+rico+drinking+water%22

Archived