Coffee

JudiK

Being from the Seattle area,I like my coffee.On prior trips abroad I usually have brought a travel French press or Starbucks VIA packs for that first cup of coffee in the morning along with decaf for the evening

I know i can get a good Americano or the like for a price on board but how good is the regular coffee served in the MDR and Lido?

The coffee is mild and slightly weak in taste, if you prefer a full bodied or dark roast then you will be disappointed. The Explorations cafe provides something similar to a Starbucks experience with espresso, latte or cappuccino as an option. Prices are slightly less than a typical Starbucks.

are there any aussies that can comment on the coffee? I hate instant and percolator but love my morning expresso (long black, latte, mocha). Just wondering what to expect compared to what be have in aus

Edited by DeeBee76
add

Came back to Aust yesterday after 10 days in the Med on the Noordam. HAL's regular coffee is practically undrinkable. I found that a double shot latte from the Explorations Coffee shop was just about up to normal Australian coffee shop strength. Well worth the price compared to the dishwater they serve in the Lido.

Came back to Aust yesterday after 10 days in the Med on the Noordam. HAL's regular coffee is practically undrinkable. I found that a double shot latte from the Explorations Coffee shop was just about up to normal Australian coffee shop strength. Well worth the price compared to the dishwater they serve in the Lido.

I see that you have been a member for some time but just made your first post.

Glad to have you enter into the conversations.

We found the first coffee cup in the dining room was not bad, subsequent cups not as good, but room service and lido coffee were dishwatery. Can't beat an Americano in Explorations Cafe and not a bad price. For the first two days of our cruise the espresso machine was missing a part so we were happy when they got the part in Aruba.

I really hate weak coffee. Usually I start my day with a specialty coffee from the Explorers Café. On the days I can't do that, I can get by with that first cup from the MDR, room service or Lido, but don't drink as much of it. :p

There was one cruise we took, trying to remember which one. It may have been the Maasdam east coast/Canada a couple years ago. They had urns of coffee marked "bold" and that was great. I haven't seen it on any ship since. :(

Not as strong as Aus.

I think that is why most of the Starbucks closed over here. The coffee was so weak very few people bought from them.

Hahaha,that is the first time I heard that .Those of us who don't care for SB call it charbucks because they over roast the coffee

A trick,BTW to try to improve inferior beans

Being the elitist coffee snob that I am I buy only shade grown,sustainably harvested beans that are roasted by a local roaster.I get them days after roasting so the coffee is really fresh

It seems there is no consensus.I will bring my Via's and probably end up buying coffee as the prices seem very reasonable compared to what I pay when I do buy the occasional cup of coffee

I really hate weak coffee. Usually I start my day with a specialty coffee from the Explorers Café. On the days I can't do that, I can get by with that first cup from the MDR, room service or Lido, but don't drink as much of it. :p

There was one cruise we took, trying to remember which one. It may have been the Maasdam east coast/Canada a couple years ago. They had urns of coffee marked "bold" and that was great. I haven't seen it on any ship since. :(

I have never seen that on any ship -- anywhere.

Not as strong as Aus.

I think that is why most of the Starbucks closed over here. The coffee was so weak very few people bought from them.

Same here - far too weak, no taste. In fact, we call it StarMucks. The people who drink it are generally not true coffee drinkers:cool:

Same here - far too weak, no taste. In fact, we call it StarMucks. The people who drink it are generally not true coffee drinkers:cool:

It must be a different type of beans/roast that they use in Australia and Wales because the usual Starbucks coffee in the USA is over-roasted, dark and strong. (I don't care for it and will only buy it if nothing better is available)

Or maybe the people that are not true coffee snobs

love the perfectionists on these board -- you have to be able to stand on the coffee for it to be good and the dinner is never served fast enough and the wine must cost 50 bucks a bottle to be drinkable

so glad I have low standards -- makes my cruise that much more enjoyable - bring coffee to my door every morning and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like it.

:eek::D just sayin

Sounds like day 1 will be 'find the good coffee' day. If I have to buy one each morning no big drama, the prices seem to be much lower than I pay for a coffee here.

Does anyone know if what the Neptune Lounge offers for coffee is good? or OK? Maybe I can go there for my coffee in the morning?

Why is it so hard for cruise ships to server good coffee. I have been on 3 different lines, waiting for my 4th now, and coffee is not good. I don't want to have to travel with a press, but maybe I should.

Sounds like day 1 will be 'find the good coffee' day. If I have to buy one each morning no big drama, the prices seem to be much lower than I pay for a coffee here.

Does anyone know if what the Neptune Lounge offers for coffee is good? or OK? Maybe I can go there for my coffee in the morning?

According to this from HAL espresso and cappucino are served all day.

Not sure how strong it is or whether you can get a double shot.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/PR_Neptune-Lounge.pdf

It must be a different type of beans/roast that they use in Australia and Wales because the usual Starbucks coffee in the USA is over-roasted, dark and strong. (I don't care for it and will only buy it if nothing better is available)

No, we've tried it in Seattle and other parts of the US and find it really yucky.