First time in Madrid- how many days should I plan before my cruise in Barcelona?

stipmom

Thanks

If you visit any of the travel sites like Trip Advisor, you'll find an article titled "Three days in (fill in the blank). There are definitely "Three Days in Paris" and "Three days in Madrid" articles. Why don't you look at the Madrid article and see if their itinerary appeals to you?

Then think about your own travel style.

o Would you be satisfied with a brief snack at lunch or is food tourism important to you and you'll want to allow long breaks for lunch?

o Do you like to do in-depth visits to art museums or are you completely happy with a highlights visit?

o Is soccer important to you so that you'll want to attend a game or, at least, tour the Madrid Real stadium?

By the time you add your personal wish list to personalized version of the general recommendations, you'll have a good sense of how much time you'll need to spend. FWIW, my husband and I have been to Madrid twice and we've spent a week each time.

I love Madrid and have visited a number of times and always find plenty to do and see.

It does depend on your interests. After Italy, Spain has the most important works of art in the world, so a full day could easily be spent in the Prado. If you are interested in art, don't miss the Sorolla Museum and the Palacio de la Liria (if it is exhibiting), home to many of the Duchess of Alba's works.

Madrid has excellent tapas bars and restaurants. Good nightlife. Easy access to Segovia and Toledo. Loads of interesting museums and exhibitions.

You need to do research as to what you want to see and do and how much time you have available.

Another thing to remember is that the summer months of Madrid are VERY hot, so bear that in mind should the heat bother you.

• 1 year later...

Hello to all those who have been to Madrid in the past year. Would you be able to recommend a hotel? What is the most central area to stay in?

Thanks.

Nancy

Hello to all those who have been to Madrid in the past year. Would you be able to recommend a hotel? What is the most central area to stay in?

Thanks.

Nancy

You just have so many options. There are literally hundreds of good hotels in central Madrid. While I might recommend the Plaza Santa Ana as an ideal location, there are many other possibilities.

You basically can choose anywhere from the Metro Atocha area in the Art Triangle between the Reina Sofia, Prado and Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, up Atocha to Plaza Mayor over to Opera and Sol, the Gran Via and up to Colon/Serrano area. They are all good choices.

If arriving by air taxis now have a set 30 euro price to anywhere in the center of the city. You then have the train connection from Terminal 4 to Sol and Atocha. From Terminal 2 you have the metro.

You are going to want to most likely only look for 4 star or above hotels in Madrid as standards can vary quite a bit. Even some 4 and 5 star hotels will not hold their class ranking by international standards sometimes, but are often quite good value.

Vincci hotels offer some good properties. The Room Mate hotels are good basic hotels. The ME Reina Victoria is a interesting property in a great location. The Siette Islas is an interesting concept hotel in a mixed up and coming area. Hotel Urban is a good hotel with very small rooms, but offers a great rooftop terrace. The new INNSIDE hotels are interesting and new from the most established Spanish brand Melia, I like the INNSIDE Suecia property. The AC hotels by Marriott are all fine if one wants a chain hotel. You get the picture. There are many many good choices. Many Tryp hotels are dated but are extremely good on a budget.

Thanks.

Nancy

Depending upon how long you are staying, you might consider renting a flat. We are going to be in Barcelona 6 days precruise and we have rented a flat instead of booking at a hotel. More space and cheaper.

DON