booking New York hotel

primesupafly

Hi everyone! We have a cruise booked for September on the Breakaway and are planning on staying in New York for a couple of days before the cruise. Is it better to book a hotel a few months ahead or would I get a better price if I waited till closer to our cruise? I am planning on using Priceline to book the hotel.

I am not a big fan of the various opaque booking sites as I am a control freak...

So, I would book a cancellable room now and then keep checking til you find a price you can live with on whatever site you choose...

I'm the same as Meg.

I tend to book ahead of time, on a cancellable rate, and check back. But, I'm a point hound and pretty much do Starwood properties by default in NYC, with Marriott second, and Kimpton third. All frequently have rates that can change dramatically with time, both up and down...

Hi everyone! We have a cruise booked for September on the Breakaway and are planning on staying in New York for a couple of days before the cruise. Is it better to book a hotel a few months ahead or would I get a better price if I waited till closer to our cruise? I am planning on using Priceline to book the hotel.

Hi,

I'm from Montreal and I drive to Nyc. Are you driving or flying ?

If you are driving, have a look at the Travel Inn on 42nd street. They have free indoor parking ( a 30 to 40$ value per day ). It is a good 3 stars with always clean rooms and it is very well located on theater row.

Have fun !

We've had very good luck using Priceline in NYC; we like that the zones are so small.

I would agree with Andee, I booked our hotel for an upcoming cruise out of NYC via Priceline. Accepted a bid for $210 a night and found out it was the Renaissance Times Square. Was a happy man especially since I will be able to add to my Marriott points!

If you are unfamiliar with Priceline, there are resources on the internet that will give you tips on "bidding for travel". ;)

I would agree with Andee, I booked our hotel for an upcoming cruise out of NYC via Priceline. Accepted a bid for $210 a night and found out it was the Renaissance Times Square. Was a happy man especially since I will be able to add to my Marriott points!

If you are unfamiliar with Priceline, there are resources on the internet that will give you tips on "bidding for travel". ;)

Technically you are not supposed to earn Marriott points on opaque bidding site stays since YOU did not pay MARRIOTT for the room, you paid someone else, and they have paid already.

That would be one reason that I never use those sites...the few times I have done so I did not get anything other than my welcome amenity and any other Plat benefits they gave me...but NEVER points..

so if you get them, consider yourself lucky

That's right after the Labor Day weekend and public schools re-opening for the new calendar year - and, historically, NYC hotel prices are higher in the month of September, with a # of conventions, trade shows, and the UN General Assembly, etc.

Book a fully refundable hotel room within your "comfort" zone in terms of rates, location & other factors aligned with your budget & places to visit or see (or, just an overnight "crash" pad before the cruise) Then, shop around for deals & last minute offers, etc. as the countdown clock flipped closer - prices could stay high or climb up, but similar to last minute cruise fares, you might find a deal if bookings aren't holding up & the operators of these properties need to bring up the occupancies by counter-bidding their "neighbors" nearby.

On a related note, for Frequent Flyers that don't mind staying near NYC's 2 airport - JFK and LGA that's very close to us, we have a new Ramada Inn that should be a 2.5 to 3 stars in downtown Flushing opening up very soon) and a Hyatt Place 2 blocks away opening toward the end of June - 1 block to the LIRR rail station and #7 subway train, a quick ride to Manhattan - with "competitive" rates but not necessary "inexpensive" - and not necessary tourist friendly unless you don't mind staying in NY's busiest Chinatown these days. The overall room counts have gone up in the past year in the LGA/Flushing area and I know many of the airline crews on layover are shifted their "pads" with the convenience & easy access to their duty stations nearby while overnighting. Parking is "cheap" compared to Manhattan for out-of-towners who don't mind park & MetroCard it on the subway & buses - pocket the savings for good food & sights, etc.

We are looking at booking a hotel for one night precruise in December. We will be travelling with two young kids and no car seats. We fly into La guardia and sail on the Breakaway. Can anyone recommend a clean, safe hotel that has shuttle service to and from the airport? Preferably that is also near the subway into Manhatten (if that is even possible...I don't know my NY geography)

We are looking at booking a hotel for one night precruise in December. We will be travelling with two young kids and no car seats. We fly into La guardia and sail on the Breakaway. Can anyone recommend a clean, safe hotel that has shuttle service to and from the airport? Preferably that is also near the subway into Manhatten (if that is even possible...I don't know my NY geography)

LaGuardia Airport is located in the borough of Queens across the East River from Manhattan. There are no hotels with free airport shuttle service anywhere in NYC.

I know this may come as a shock, but it is not mandated for taxis or car services to provide car seats for their child passengers. If you are adamant about this you need to bring your own from home.

As you are probably aware, December/Christmas is a very busy time in NYC due to all of the special activities. Since your ship leaves Manhattan try Hotwire for the dates you are looking at and see what comes up. Don't take anything less than three stars. You could take a taxi from LaGuardia to your hotel; then the subway to get around for sight-seeing while in Manhattan; and then a short cab ride to the pier which won't be too expensive.

Edited by Got2Cruise

LaGuardia Airport is located in the borough of Queens across the East River from Manhattan. There are no hotels with free airport shuttle service anywhere in NYC.

I know this may come as a shock, but it is not mandated for taxis or car services to provide car seats for their child passengers. If you are adamant about this you need to bring your own from home.

As you are probably aware, December/Christmas is a very busy time in NYC due to all of the special activities. Since your ship leaves Manhattan try Hotwire for the dates you are looking at and see what comes up. Don't take anything less than three stars. You could take a taxi from LaGuardia to your hotel; then the subway to get around for sight-seeing while in Manhattan; and then a short cab ride to the pier which won't be too expensive.

Have to agree with this.

You can get a hotel with a shuttle near La Guardia, but you'll likely be disappointed, especially if you want to sightsee in Manhattan. Price out your options for staying in Manhattan, recognizing December is expensive...