Tux, or not?!

Wear the tux! Set the standard, don't follow the crowd! Frankly, a well-tailored tux is very comfortable to wear, as is a suit. I never understood why some men don't like them.

You see, the idea is: If all or most men are in black tie, thus looking similar, it calls attention to the ladies and what they are wearing! Of course, I have over a dozen different bow tie / cummerbund combos, along with a couple of vests. I have not worn a black tie or cummerbund in years! :D

Do what makes you happy.:)

If you want to play "dress-up" thats up to you. You can do it on any night. Be aware there will be very few others in tux's on elegant night, mostly cargo paints and collared shirts. It is a vacation in the caribian, why would anyone want to wear stuffy clothes? Enjoy and do what you want.

My fiance will be wearing his Tux on Formal Night of our next cruise. It will be our wedding cruise and we may as well get the use out of his tuxedo. We have found buying a Tux to be no more expensive than buying a suit so why not.

Not very many men any longer wear a tuxedo on Carnival cruises. In fact, you will see quite a few men with no tie ... just a golf shirt and maybe a sports coat. This does not mean you can't dress more formally if you wish. :)

LuLu

OP- I say go for it! Like you said it is a great opportunity. My DH wears his most of the time, unless it is a shorter cruise, or just a get-away cruise where we stay on the ship the whole time. Sometimes you just need some R&R down time!

But on the occsasions where we can play dress-up, we do. Most of the time we are pretty casual people. For us, dressing up and seeing what others are wearing enhances our cruising experience. I know many people like to keep it more casual, and that is okay too.

It really doesn't bother me what others are wearing...even if they are at my table. I cruise for me and for my DH.

Happy cruising!!

1659530852_BudandLou.jpg.5aeca47880b11660b4084a0b005a07b3.jpg

Thanks for all your responses. I spoke with my husband over dinner this evening and asked him how he would feel about wearing a tux, he said he was up for it....now it's just going to depend on me finding the perfect gown/cocktail dress! I'd love the pictures!

It would be a priceless memory and they do a really good job of setting it up. Yeah hubby! Now you just have to find that right dress. Good for you!

So, my husband and I usually avoid formal nights, we enjoy getting a little dressed up on other nights, but enjoy a little more casual dining during the formal nights. This year I'm thinking about going all out, I've never seen my husband in a tux, this would be the perfect opportunity. For those of you who have sailed on Liberty, were there many men in tux's and what formal night has the most participants, 1st or 2nd.

Thanks

We have sailed on the Liberty....I think more people dress up more on the first elegant night...

DH wears his tux! I love to see him in his tux. He owns 2 so we'll usually dress up for both elegant nights. There will be others in tuxes on a 7 day cruise for sure. It's fun dressing up, and it's even more fun undressing later. ;) :D

OP, to answer the other part of your question...the first "formal" night is when people get the most dressed up. At least that seems to have been the case on all my cruises.

I hope you and the DH get "dressed to the nines" and have an awesome time!:D

You cant beat a tux on elegant night Carnival or not!

I bought a tux and wore it for the first time on a cruise and I take it on all cruises now, I had never owned or wore one before.

Its not about what others are wearing but what you are;)

Second elegant I usually dont wear the bow tie but get my dinner shirt collar starched when its cleaned onboard and it looks quite neat tucked in but up above the jacket.

Also a tux has an adjustable waist band by an inch each side so you can fit in more lobster tails :D

So, my husband and I usually avoid formal nights, we enjoy getting a little dressed up on other nights, but enjoy a little more casual dining during the formal nights. This year I'm thinking about going all out, I've never seen my husband in a tux, this would be the perfect opportunity. For those of you who have sailed on Liberty, were there many men in tux's and what formal night has the most participants, 1st or 2nd.

Thanks

If your husband is willing to get dressed up and have a good time...go for it. I always bring my tux and enjoy myself. Carnival has made the effort to allow people to feel more comfortable and thereby more inclusive by renaming the traditional formal nights into elegant nights.

By all means...it's your vacation. Dress to be comfortable...if you don't want to dress up, be casual.

Have a great cruise

Ian

Are the formal/elegant nights only on the 7 day cruises?

We are doing a 4 day out of Long Beach in July on Imagination.

I love formal nights and getting dressed up, although last year on the formal night on NCL we were seated beside two tables of people in shorts!

Jo :)

Many men do not wear tux's, but they are worn by a few on formal/elegant night. I wear a full suit with French cuff shirt, etc, or something along the lines of the same shirt with just the vest from the suit in place of the jacket.

Yes, it's a vacation and yes, you should wear what you like and what makes you comfortable. However, we look at cruising as a full experience for our family of 5 (me, DH, and 3 DSs, 17, 15 and 8). It's a nice experience for all of us to get dressed up and have an elegant dinner complete with proper table etiquette, since we are always running in different directions with all of our activities otherwise. DH will wear a suit and tie, I have 2 formal gowns, DS (17) has a tux (multipurpose for prom, band concerts and cruises!), DS (15) will wear a sport coat and tie and the little one will wear dress pants, shirt and tie. They can wear whatever they want the other nights (though they always pick a polo or plaid button down with khakis). I always wear a dress. I don't expect everyone to dress that way, but it's my cruise and it's what I want to wear and makes me a happy girl to have all that arm candy!:D

LOL, no. Tux? Maybe on a longer Alaska or transpac voyage but not on a short 4-day caibbean cruise. Most people barely even wear polo shirts and decent pants to dinner on those trips, much less tux. I used to wear suits on formal nights and decent dress shirts most other nights but even I don't care enough anymore to get all dressed up. I wear a nice sweater or golf shirt and dress shirt on formal nights but that's it. Don't drive yourself crazy getting all dressed up on Carnival anymore it's not worth it. Not to mention you have to pack all that extra stuff in your bags and with bag fees while flying and all that, it really is not worth it anymore. Not to say there are no people wearing tuxedos, just 99 percent of people don't.