Alcohol Wipes vs Lyso Disinfecting Wipes

trbarton

Interesting. Thank you for the link, as it allows me to follow up with the other studies as well. It's interesting that it's still being used as a surrogate even though the studies are several years old, but you've given me a good starting point for more research.

Yes, I'm not a microbiologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this weekend. I don't claim to understand all the science involved, I tend to look at the opening premise and the conclusions, and leave the rest to the science guys.

• 4 weeks later...
Jeez....some folks really go for overkill! The cabins are cleaned and wiped down. Unless you are licking doorknobs and whatnot, you'll be fine.

On our last cruise we were in the last group to disembark and we were ALLOWED in our cabin after it was cleaned and ready for the next cruise. So I don't mind taking a few minutes to kill whatever germs that are around!

Utahtea

Edited by utahtea

Jeez....some folks really go for overkill! The cabins are cleaned and wiped down. Unless you are licking doorknobs and whatnot, you'll be fine.

Really?

I've washed dust off of trays, reported bathroom tumblers that had toothpaste residue in bottom, wiped beverage rings off the top of nightstands and wiped spilled soda off the front of dressers - all on embarkation days.

Have also spent 4 days of my wonderful cruise taking care of a noro-infected spouse.

Heck yes I spray down and wipe down my cabin!

Or you could leave the cleaning products at home and enjoy your holiday?

I will never get why people pack these things, all I need is a small bottle of hand sanitiser and I am ready to go.

If Novo is running rampant on your ship its unlikely wipes are gonna protect you.Your steward is going to come in after being round the ship and could be

carrying it on them and their supplies even when you have wiped down. Best practice is to build up and train your immune system before you board.

Edited by Velvetwater

I carry a couple of the travel size Lysol sprays. It takes less than a minute to spray the surfaces. I also carry the wipes for the inside of the drawers before putting my belongings inside. Less than a minute for some peace of mind. No biggie.

Or you could leave the cleaning products at home and enjoy your holiday?

I will never get why people pack these things, all I need is a small bottle of hand sanitiser and I am ready to go.

Be thankful you're blessed with a good immune system, as not everyone is. I've recently been personally reminded that there are people in this world who don't have the innate protection many of us (myself included) take for granted - I am quite cavalier about it, but I've been reminded that there are some who either themselves or their loved ones have compromised systems and must be extra vigilant.

Be thankful you're blessed with a good immune system, as not everyone is. I've recently been personally reminded that there are people in this world who don't have the innate protection many of us (myself included) take for granted - I am quite cavalier about it, but I've been reminded that there are some who either themselves or their loved ones have compromised systems and must be extra vigilant.

I am indeed glad of of my immune system but unfortunately my hubby doesnt have the same luck. He is type 1 and this makes his system slightly less hardy and sends his sugars through the roof if he gets ill.

He has the same attitude as me to this stuff.

My point is that whether you are cavalier or not about it little wipes/sprays and whatnot are not really that effective unless everyone is on board...thats why I only take hand santiser as its portable and I can use it as and when.

I have explained in another post the best thing you can do to help your immune system is to not guard yourself against every little bit of dirt and sneeze and to eat immune boosting foods and take vitamins. It is scientifically proven small exposures help your system overall and this is partly how inoculations work.

Not to mention your not putting nasty chemicals around your stateroom by using this approach.

Edited by Velvetwater

This probably will sound redundant, but next time you wash your hands pay attention to the areas you miss. I'm a nurse - I washed my hands a bazillion times and used the foam between rooms back when I worked with patients.

The other night visiting ICU and using staff restroom, I noticed a sign of the areas most easily missed. The creases in your palm and the base of your fingers, the back of your thumb and the webspace on the back of your hand. I realized that when I wash my hands they are cupped and I have pretty good creases in the palm. oops

Handwashing is the most effective way to prevent infection for the average person, so I'm passing on a reminder to check out those spots and make sure you're scrubbing your whole hand - those 10 or 15 seconds are not going to make that big a difference in your day!

My point is that whether you are cavalier or not about it little wipes/sprays and whatnot are not really that effective unless everyone is on board...thats why I only take hand santiser as its portable and I can use it as and when.

I disagree........the dose makes the poison, and it is not all or nothing. A compromised immune system might be able to manage some but not all of what a person with a healthy immune system can manage, so being exposed to some of the amount is not harmful, but all the amount may be. So decreasing the amount to some and not all may make all the difference.

I have explained in another post the best thing you can do to help your immune system is to not guard yourself against every little bit of dirt and sneeze and to eat immune boosting foods and take vitamins. It is scientifically proven small exposures help your system overall and this is partly how inoculations work.

That is true only if one has a healthy immune system that has the ability to rise to challenges, but if the immune system has been damaged (through disease or medications), it might be unable to mount the appropriate immune response to those small exposures.

As for the role of supplemental vitamins.......well, that's a whole other topic in and of itself.

I disagree........the dose makes the poison, and it is not all or nothing. A compromised immune system might be able to manage some but not all of what a person with a healthy immune system can manage, so being exposed to some of the amount is not harmful, but all the amount may be. So decreasing the amount to some and not all may make all the difference.

That is true only if one has a healthy immune system that has the ability to rise to challenges, but if the immune system has been damaged (through disease or medications), it might be unable to mount the appropriate immune response to those small exposures.

As for the role of supplemental vitamins.......well, that's a whole other topic in and of itself.

I think you have missed my point a little.

What I am saying is that no matter what your immune system is like spending an hour wiping down your cabin is essentially ineffective because you will be wandering around a ship where a good percentage will not be as vigilant as you so your cabin will of course be better but theres all the other areas on the ship. Even wiping everything you touch around the ship would not solve things.

As I tried to say the best protection for anyone against these type of things is being as healthy as you can beforehand....no matter what your medical historyis (how you go about this is up to you/what you believe works best...vitamins/food/exercise/herbal therapy) then you already have a 'shield' when you step on the ship.

I am not denying the serious immune issues that some have (My own mum had chemotherapy and I saw what that did) but to me it is more important to be the healthiest you can be rather than stepping on a ship armed with wipes.

Edited by Velvetwater

I think you have missed my point a little.

What I am saying is that no matter what your immune system is like spending an hour wiping down your cabin is essentially ineffective because you will be wandering around a ship where a good percentage will not be as vigilant as you so your cabin will of course be better but theres all the other areas on the ship. Even wiping everything you touch around the ship would not solve things.

As I tried to say the best protection for anyone against these type of things is being as healthy as you can beforehand....no matter what your medical historyis (how you go about this is up to you/what you believe works best...vitamins/food/exercise/herbal therapy) then you already have a 'shield' when you step on the ship.

I am not denying the serious immune issues that some have (My own mum had chemotherapy and I saw what that did) but to me it is more important to be the healthiest you can be rather than stepping on a ship armed with wipes.

No, I didn't miss your point, I just disagree with it. I believe that for people with compromised immune systems, disinfecting things in their cabin may make the small amount of difference that keeps them on the healthy side of the line. There's no guarantee and nothing is ever "solved", but I can see how it might make a positive difference by decreasing the dose of nasty microbes encountered through the day and, as I said, the dose makes the poison.

Being the healthiest you can be is good, but some people will benefit from more than that because "the healthiest they can be" is still pretty fragile and impermanent.

Edited by calliopecruiser
grammar

No, I didn't miss your point, I just disagree with it. I believe that for people with compromised immune systems, disinfecting things in their cabin may make the small amount of difference that keeps them on the healthy side of the line. There's no guarantee and nothing is ever "solved", but I can see how it might make a positive difference by decreasing the dose of nasty microbes encountered through the day and, as I said, the dose makes the poison.

Being the healthiest you can be is good, but some people will benefit from more than that because "the healthiest they can be" is still pretty fragile and impermanent.

For the reasons already mentioned I think wipes useless for someone with an impaired immune system and they are pretty much useless for anyone in cruise circumstances....if people find comfort in using them then whatever floats their boat.

Keeping your healthy is best for everyone and I dont think its comparable tbh.

Will have to disagree methinks.

Keeping your healthy is best for everyone and I dont think its comparable tbh.

Will have to disagree methinks.

Yes, because apparently you can't see that some people can't keep their immune system healthy -- that boat has already sailed and "healthy" is an impossibility for them.

Yes, because apparently you can't see that some people can't keep their immune system healthy -- that boat has already sailed and "healthy" is an impossibility for them.

A previous post would indicate the exact opposite...not to mention most of my immediate family are all the medical field.

'Healthy' is subjective and different to all depending on conditions and medical prescriptions. That was quite obvious in my previous posts that you neglected to read properly.

I wont waste any more time on people that put all their faith in useless wipes.

Toodles.