Chocolate Buffet night?

rbelfi

This is an ongoing debate on CC...the chocolate buffet...

Some hate it...some ate it...

I ate it...and hated it...

Nice sculpture until some ignorant person tries to eat one of them :eek:

The cookies at the late night buffet and the crumble...yes the crumble :D at the buffet for dinner is by far, in my opinion, better then anything served at the chocolate buffet...and YES I do LOVE chocolate, but not this....

An employee on the ship told me they used to use Hershey chocolate to do all the desserts for that buffet, and now they use cheap generic chocolate.

If human behavior is something that fascinates or intrigues you...go there and observe...unbelievable how people can stack 12 inches of different kind of desert on one plate...or actually RUN from one end of the buffet to the other to get the "prime" piece of pie...sad but priceless ;)

Have fun !

I completely agree with you regarding the quality of the chocolate although I have to admit the experience itself was fun and people watching was the best! We were able to go in before everyone so weren't affected by the lines. The flavors weren't great with the exception of the crepes station, which you can get anytime. They must use the hershey chocolate in the sauce they use for that because it was a little piece of heaven. Ultimately, I don't think removing it is a great loss. I feel bad because I was one of those people that had a quiet a few items on my plate but I ended up leaving a lot of it because it didn't taste as good as it looked. :(

I feel bad because I was one of those people that had a quiet a few items on my plate but I ended up leaving a lot of it because it didn't taste as good as it looked. :(

That's one reason why I think it's ok to stop the chocolate buffet (if they are going in that direction) because there is a lot of waste. I don't blame people at all for not eating something if they've tried it and it wasn't to their liking. But I wish they would have had a little more class than to just leave their piled plates in the elevator, or on a random table (not in the buffet), or in the window seats along deck 7, or in the stairwells. There are plenty of garbage cans around.

This of course is not aimed at you, annietownsend, but at the numbers who have done this kind of thing on every cruise we've been on.

Hopefully the next to be cut will be grumpy passengers and negative people! :D

Couldn't agree more ;)

If the new press release is any indication, it sounds like maybe a better selection of chocolate desserts one night at dinner.

I hope I hope I hope I hope

Just got off the Star and we asked about the chocolate buffet, they aren't doing it anymore. They have also stopped happy hour, we had this on the Spirit last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one reason why I think it's ok to stop the chocolate buffet (if they are going in that direction) because there is a lot of waste. I don't blame people at all for not eating something if they've tried it and it wasn't to their liking. But I wish they would have had a little more class than to just leave their piled plates in the elevator, or on a random table (not in the buffet), or in the window seats along deck 7, or in the stairwells. There are plenty of garbage cans around.

This of course is not aimed at you, annietownsend, but at the numbers who have done this kind of thing on every cruise we've been on.

Totally understood and agree. Good thing I have good manners and clean up after myself...so no offense taken;). I do like the idea of a special one or two deserts the way it sounds like they are heading so it's not a bad thing to be done with the chocolate buffet.

I know it all comes down to personal opinion, but having been to a couple of chocolate buffets and also to the MDR on the night with the chocolate deserts, I'd go for the MDR option any day.

I'm pleased that I've seen the setup for the chocolate buffet, but the last couple of times, I just had a look, and even our son who loves chocolate only ate a very small amount (he'd rather have a cookie than eat the chocolate at the chocolate buffet).

The desserts in the MDR on the other hand were very good, I thought. I particularly like the volcano, although that seems to be available every night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The chocolate buffet looked nice, but really wasn't very good. I sampled a few things and didn't really find anything worth eating. Plus there was a lot of waste. People who would just pile things on their plates and then eat very little. I'd rather they didn't bother with the chocolate buffet at all, and just try to up the quality of the desserts overall.

Edited by jame_g

Drastic cutbacks to keep prices low. Different ships now do the chocolate buffet differently. In any case it's nothing like it was 5-10 years ago.

Agreed!!! Basic fare prices are either lower or about the same it was 5 -10 years ago. Somehow something has to give. I find it incredible and incomprehensible how some people just cannot get that. The same goes for those who pile their plates and leave 80-90% of what they have taken untouched.

I for one dont really care of the now once a week choco buffet night. I wish they would cut it off completely. Most of the time it shows the disgusting behaviour of some people who attend them!

Probably the same people?

thanks

The chocolate buffet looked nice, but really wasn't very good. I sampled a few things and didn't really find anything worth eating. Plus there was a lot of waste. People who would just pile things on their plates and then eat very little. I'd rather they didn't bother with the chocolate buffet at all, and just try to up the quality of the desserts overall.

agreed and well said

The chocolate buffet looked nice, but really wasn't very good. I sampled a few things and didn't really find anything worth eating. Plus there was a lot of waste. People who would just pile things on their plates and then eat very little.

The reason there is so much waste is the desserts look good, people pile up their plates, then they taste it. Bleh! The desserts are horrid. They then refuse to eat any more. Can't blame the passengers on that one. NCL using cheap ingredients and making tasteless desserts is squarely at fault here.

The reason there is so much waste is the desserts look good, people pile up their plates, then they taste it. Bleh! The desserts are horrid. They then refuse to eat any more. Can't blame the passengers on that one. NCL using cheap ingredients and making tasteless desserts is squarely at fault here.

I have to agree with this at least for the chocoholic buffet two years ago on the Star. Tons of chocolate desserts and almost none of them any good. I much prefer the new way of doing it. Offer a small selection of good chocolate desserts one night without shutting down the buffet and causing havoc to the whole ship.

Edited by Sizzlechest

I LOVE chocolate, that said I was so disappointed at the chocolate buffet on the Dawn. It was pretty to look at but nothing had any flavor. Desserts are one thing in which quality not quantity rules the day! Do a few things really well and skip all the crappy ones!

I LOVE chocolate, that said I was so disappointed at the chocolate buffet on the Dawn. It was pretty to look at but nothing had any flavor. Desserts are one thing in which quality not quantity rules the day! Do a few things really well and skip all the crappy ones!

Like !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hopefully the next to be cut will be grumpy passengers and negative people! :D

I'll drink to that;) Don't need or want grumps and negatives on my ship...There to enjoy, relax and be grateful we are healthy and can still cruise....:)

We thought the chocolate buffet presentation on the Gem last summer was beautiful and we enjoyed the desserts we tried.

We just returned from a Baltic cruise on the Star and there was no chocolate buffet. We missed it. There was a chocolate dessert night, but we thought the desserts were rather disappointing that night ... not bad, just nothing special.

It'll be interesting to see if Getaway has it, which would throw my big ship theory out the window! haha

No chocolate buffet on Getaway but they have one night where ALL of the dining rooms have special chocolate desserts from buffet to specialty.