questions about St Thomas

travsmom

I have read a lot of post about St Thomas,most of what I have read is about the beaches. I like to see the island when I go on a cruise.I like historical stuff or unusual places. I can't seem to find what I am looking for and I have looked at the ports board. Is there anything to do where the ship docks or do you have to take a cab.I did read about paradise point,if you ride the tram down how far is it to walk back to the ship. I use a cane and I can walk but I can't walk a mile. I don't want anything to do with water,so the beach is out. Any suggestions of things to do would be helpful thank you in advance.

Paradise point is a short walk from the pier, but there are a lot of stairs getting up to the tram. Never heard of taking a cab to mountaintop, that sounds like a good option.

We were in St.Thomas in Sept. As soon as we got off the ship there were little tour buses all over. If I am not mistaken, the tour we took up the mountain was about $25. each. It lasted quite awhile and was so interesting, they would stop and let you take pictures. Seems as though the drivers are all over looking for people to take the tours.

Take a tour with Godfrey. Google Godfrey tours. He has a website. $25pp and you won't have to go to the beach. It's optional on his tour. He goes to Mountain Top. The views are beautiful. (I have pics in two or three of my reviews in my signature). He takes you all over the island. Very nice tour.

Both of the docks (Crown Bay and Havensight) are a minimum of a mile from town,so you will want transportation. There are many historic sights in Charlotte Amalie. You might want to contact the Historical Trust- http://stthomashistoricaltrust.org/ about their walking tour. Unfortunately, the town is very hilly, but perhaps you can find a good guide who could drive to some of the highlights.

Exactly.

OP..... you don't say which dock you are going to.

If you are on Princess or HAL ship, you will be at Crown Bay (with a rare exception.)

NCL and RCI, Carnival go to Havensight.

I have read a lot of post about St Thomas,most of what I have read is about the beaches. I like to see the island when I go on a cruise.I like historical stuff or unusual places. I can't seem to find what I am looking for and I have looked at the ports board. Is there anything to do where the ship docks or do you have to take a cab.I did read about paradise point,if you ride the tram down how far is it to walk back to the ship. I use a cane and I can walk but I can't walk a mile. I don't want anything to do with water,so the beach is out. Any suggestions of things to do would be helpful thank you in advance.

There are several stores right at the dock, nothing else really.

STT is best known for her gorgeous East End beaches and Magens Bay, along with the duty free shopping. In your situation I would just hook up with one of the many drivers at the dock offering tours. Not a tour company but a taxi driver. They offer tours and you will probablybe with others. They will take you to Drake's Seat and perhaps Mouuntaintop (b offer a view of Magens Bay but since Mountaintop has lost its charm Drake's Seat is preferred). You will enjoy a scenic drive along Skyline Drive and perhaps stop at Bluebeard's Castle and the historic area before dropping you in town.

You can have a taxi drop you at Paradise Point ald also return you to the dock. The walk from the tram station back to the ship is a 15 minute walk so a bit longer with a cane but sounds like you would be OK. PP is a great spot to enjoy a view of the harbor and ships with a cocktail before heading back.

The above walk is assuming you are docked at Havensight.

Edited by blue_water