Ridiculous story on 9 Brisbane news last night

Channel 9 ran the 'good news for Brisbane cruisers' story last night with the announcement that Legend of the Seas would be based here for a few months.

They then followed on with "it's not all good news though" and that Portside couldn't cope with the best ships in the world because the pier is too short. Then a graphic of QM2 and Quantum OTS and how they are too long and overhang Portside by miles.

That kind of reporting is such an embarrassment. Typical schlock.

Nothing to do with the length of the ship. All to do with large ships not being able to get under the Gateway.

How many ships come to Brisbane that can't come upstream to Portside?

Should the council or govt (read taxpayers, local residents) really be responsible for providing the duplication of facilities or should it be the responsibility of Carnival and RCCL?

Does it matter why the big ships can't berth if the solution can't happen? How could Cunard or RCL fix it? The facts are that tourists = money. If states want the money then they need to have the facilities. The big ships could easily bypass Brisbane.

Edited by Pushka

Channel 9 ran the 'good news for Brisbane cruisers' story last night with the announcement that Legend of the Seas would be based here for a few months.

They then followed on with "it's not all good news though" and that Portside couldn't cope with the best ships in the world because the pier is too short. Then a graphic of QM2 and Quantum OTS and how they are too long and overhang Portside by miles.

That kind of reporting is such an embarrassment. Typical schlock.

Nothing to do with the length of the ship. All to do with large ships not being able to get under the Gateway.

How many ships come to Brisbane that can't come upstream to Portside?

Should the council or govt (read taxpayers, local residents) really be responsible for providing the duplication of facilities or should it be the responsibility of Carnival and RCCL?

Out of 131 arrivals in Brisbane 23 are at F1 Grain and 108 at Portside.

You think you have problems in Brisbane - Sydney is an absolute and utter joke.

We only have 1 real berth in Sydney at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney .however still cannot take most new BUILD ships because the ship lenth is too long to berth there as well.

We have have a "portable tent shack" at white bay if your ship is "small" enough to fit under the bridge - what a joke and pathetic excuse that is.

Or if your ship is too big you may have the pleasurable disctinction of mooring at Garden island - no transport and there is only a maximum of 3 berthings allowed per year

Or if your really lucky around FEB to APR each year you might have the biggest pleasure of all and anchoring in Sydney Harbour at Athol Bouy and taking tender boats to shore !! Yes tender boats in Sydney i kid you not.

Yes we have it all whilst both the Federal and State governments and particularly the defence departments continue to debate its not problem its not my problem whilst hundreds of millions of dollars get wittled away to other countries who really want the tourism dollars.

You have to spend money to make money guys

Brisbane has the unfortunate situation of being on a narrow river. It would be unwise to build a cruise terminal that could hold ships that are too large to navigate the river.

Sadly the ships mentioned are too large to navigate the river so the size of the terminal is irrelevant.

Sydney is not a joke really. Look at the harbour it is curved and bendy and no straight lines anywhere for a dock. Circular Quay is as long as it can be and can tie up QM2 currently the longest ship to enter the harbour. (QM2 is longer than Voyager and is still the longest in the world).

The only hope for Sydney with ships that cant sail under the bridge is to open up Botany Bay. Garden Island still lacks a wharf long enough for most modern liners. As per Sydney Harbour most of Garden Islands docks are not straight. A curved harbour.

Give me Sydney over Brisbane any day.

All the port facilities are much closer to the centre. OPT > Portside. White Bay/Garden Island/Athol Buoy > Fisherman's Island.

As for Sydney Harbour, in terms of location and facilities, we _did_ have the brilliant Finger Wharf and Woolloomooloo Bay facilities. Unfortunately they were sold off to private interests during the shipping decline...

The only hope for Sydney with ships that cant sail under the bridge is to open up Botany Bay.
I heard recently that RCI is still considering this as an option. And if they did build a custom terminal at BB, they would still sail into Sydney Harbour as part of each itinerary to give people the experience of sailing in and out of one of the world's best harbours. Edited by Royalty X

Hope they do build a terminal at Botany Bay. It would make more sense given the amount of space available for it. It is inevitable that ships will soon not be able to pass under the harbour bridge.

Unless of course in the future the harbour bridge would have to be replaced.

You think you have problems in Brisbane - Sydney is an absolute and utter joke.

We only have 1 real berth in Sydney at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney .however still cannot take most new BUILD ships because the ship lenth is too long to berth there as well.

We have have a "portable tent shack" at white bay if your ship is "small" enough to fit under the bridge - what a joke and pathetic excuse that is.

Or if your ship is too big you may have the pleasurable disctinction of mooring at Garden island - no transport and there is only a maximum of 3 berthings allowed per year

Or if your really lucky around FEB to APR each year you might have the biggest pleasure of all and anchoring in Sydney Harbour at Athol Bouy and taking tender boats to shore !! Yes tender boats in Sydney i kid you not.

Yes we have it all whilst both the Federal and State governments and particularly the defence departments continue to debate its not problem its not my problem whilst hundreds of millions of dollars get wittled away to other countries who really want the tourism dollars.

You have to spend money to make money guys

How long has it been since you have sailed out of Sydney Harbour? The "tent" you speak of was at Barangaroo which closed about eighteen months ago and White Bay has a multi million dollar, purpose built terminal which has first class facilities and apart from its " remote" location is an excellent terminal. The OPT is about to undergo a fifty million dollar refurb with an extension to the wharf which will allow it to berth ships up to and including Oasis class as well as the terminal itself getting an extra level for a lounge and coffee shop etc and the two restaurants going to make way for an expanded debarkation area and improved check in so in the not too distant future Sydney will have two first class terminals servicing a harbour that is consistantly voted the best in the world for a cruise destination. Cannot see why they would want move to Botany Bay and lose the WOW factor of Sydney Harbour.

Yes I agree with Dennis. Don't you all worry about Botany, Brisbane or whatever. We'll have a cruise terminal on the Gold Coast before you can say.....Jack Robinson..... :rolleyes:

Jill:)

or Tom Tate, or Campbell Newman? Maybe Joe will have something in the budget for it today out of those billions he's apparently saving us all?

There was talk(rumour) about a "joint venture" with Carnival & Royal Caribbean to build a terminal somewhere in Moreton Bay but unfortunately my source has now changed roles / location so I cannot find out more.

Brisbane's problem will be resolved ... when the new cruise terminal is built on the Gold Coast (and I say that with tongue in cheek) :rolleyes:

Dennis

or Tom Tate, or Campbell Newman? Maybe Joe will have something in the budget for it today out of those billions he's apparently saving us all?

Bring it on!

I expect something will happen down there - maybe not the project we see on the table right now, but something.... Post Commonwealth Games perhaps? Would it fall in Mr Hockey's "infrastructure and construction" bucket? :D

I agree that it would be a shame to move to Botany Bay and lose the wow factor of Port Jackson - it truly is stunning. I used to work on the inner north shore and every day I came over the hill and saw the harbour in sight and it never ceased to catch my attention. The location of the OPT just can't be beaten for convenience and scenic amenity for tourists. Wasn't there talk about trying to build something at Taronga?

Bring it on!

I expect something will happen down there - maybe not the project we see on the table right now, but something.... Post Commonwealth Games perhaps? Would it fall in Mr Hockey's "infrastructure and construction" bucket? :D

I agree that it would be a shame to move to Botany Bay and lose the wow factor of Port Jackson - it truly is stunning. I used to work on the inner north shore and every day I came over the hill and saw the harbour in sight and it never ceased to catch my attention. The location of the OPT just can't be beaten for convenience and scenic amenity for tourists. Wasn't there talk about trying to build something at Taronga?

Taronga is on the wrong side of the harbour for a cruise terminal ( unless of course Noah's Ark was doing a cruise to Sydney:D:D.....animals ...two by two)

Taronga is on the wrong side of the harbour for a cruise terminal ( unless of course Noah's Ark was doing a cruise to Sydney:D:D.....animals ...two by two)

Double Bay would be a perfect spot for a cruise terminal. They could build out into the harbour and have one that could handle 4 ships at a time.

Now wouldnt that be great.:D

There is no bay, cove, inlet or area of Sydney harbour that is capable of having a cruise terminal built on it in any way shape or form.

Even if a terminal could be built it would never be able to be provisioned and busses, trucks and all vehicles wanting access would never be able to get there unless all the residences around the area were acquisitioned and demolished.

If they got rid of that funny looking building with the roof that looks like sails they could build another cruise terminal opposite the OPT :D:D:D

;)

Perhaps extend the point from Kirribilli house and dock on the North shore or even at Manly.:p