Bon Voyage Dawn Princess World Cruise 2014

Cruise by for a gawk.:rolleyes:

No. The residents come out to the ship with their wares and sell them on board. As well as the Pitcairn Coat of Arms , I have a turtle carved out of wood which was made by , and signed by Steve Christian.

Unfortunately the number of able bodied men left on Pitcairn who are fit and able enough to launch the long boat is dwindling so there may not be many calls there in the future.

No. The residents come out to the ship with their wares and sell them on board. As well as the Pitcairn Coat of Arms , I have a turtle carved out of wood which was made by , and signed by Steve Christian.

Unfortunately the number of able bodied men left on Pitcairn who are fit and able enough to launch the long boat is dwindling so there may not be many calls there in the future.

It would be a shame if the ships stop going there. I suppose the island has had it's fair share of misfortunes and can do with the custom.

16augustpitcairn_zpsb65f9fd8.jpg

A stunning bridge cam shot of the Island today. Thats the best pic I have ever seen of Pitcairn. You can see how rugged the coastline is. Its like that all the way around. It just rises up out of the ocean with only one smal opening where they can land and even then they have to use a rail system to launch and retrieve the longboat.

Heres the entry from Cruisin Princess Blog on her day at Pitcairn. Sounds like they had a fabulous day. The weather was certainly kind.

http://cruisinprincess2.aussieblogs.com.au/

Pitcairn Island, interesting but isolated. Almost all the inhabitants came on board, including the children, 40 something people. The two people in their 80′s stayed ashore as they have difficulty jumping from their long boat onto the ship. They set up a market place and must have been overwhelmed by the response. When you looked down onto deck 5 you couldn’t see an inch of floor for people waiting for the doors to open. They sold all sorts of craft. The children had made fridge magnets which were very popular. There was a lecture in the Princess theatre, interesting, funny and informative. As all this was going on we circled the Island which is 2 square metres in size. Basically a large rock with only one accessible area for boats. Quite green. No flat land to be seen. You could see the same pine trees from every side. When not looking at the land we were entertained by southern Humpback Whales. Yes finally I have seen wildlife closer than on the horizon, and I know you have to spend a lot of time on deck to do that. Well I did today. It was a little breezy but pleasant in sheltered positions.

They are docked at the cruise berths in Papeete today...

19dawn_zps546c7498.jpg

Not long to go now until its all over..

Mon 18/08/14 Papeete (Tahiti) / French Polynesia 08:00

Tue 19/08/14 Papeete (Tahiti) / French Polynesia 04:00

Tue 19/08/14 Moorea / French Polynesia 08:00 17:00

Wed 20/08/14 At Sea

Thu 21/08/14 At Sea

Fri 22/08/14 Pago Pago / South Seas 08:00 17:00

Sat 23/08/14 At Sea

Sun 24/08/14 Date Line 12:00 13:00

Mon 25/08/14 At Sea

Tue 26/08/14 At Sea

Wed 27/08/14 Auckland / New Zealand 07:00 22:00

Thu 28/08/14 At Sea

Fri 29/08/14 At Sea

Sat 30/08/14 At Sea

Sun 31/08/14 Sydney / Australia 07:00

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Thanks for the pic, it brings back some fond memories of beautiful water that was all shades of blue and some great wildlife interactions.:D

Yes, Moorea is our pick of the French Polynesian islands we visited. Looking forward to returning next year . Barry :)

The only problem with Moorea is that all the best beaches are private and you either have to pay to use the beach or get chased away by the wealthy French guests who want privacy.

That is half the fun, :eek:

Although going past in a boat and looking at how some people relax and hearing what it costs per night can be a blow out.:D

It is a shame that it is almost at an end, have loved following the deck cam pics and snippets of info.

The only good thing from our point of view is that the 2016 WC booking date is coming closer. Can't wait :p