Bon Voyage Dawn Princess World Cruise 2014

They are now on their way to Lima , Peru. They overnight there.

I wonder if that is so they have the chance to visit Machu Pichu?

Some may also have left the ship at Manta for an overland excursion , and will rejoin in Lima.:)

Most likely, it is a short flight to Cusco, a 2 hour drive, a 1 hour 30 mins train trip, and a 20 min shuttle to get to Machu Pichu, this would leave a few hours in the afternoon and then a couple of hours in the am before returning. The flight from Cusco to Lima was around 1.30 hours. It would be a busy two days but definitely worth it.:D

When we took the Highlights of Lima ships tour , our bus came complete with ....a driver, a guide , a host from the ship , and a guard who rode up front with a loaded shotgun.:eek:

I was with a tour and while we were made aware of taking extra security measures, we found it reasonably ok but did find ourselves sitting in traffic a lot to get from place to place.

Dawn Princess is currently on her way to Hangaroa, Easter Island:

dawn_princess_position_11082014.jpg

Here is Easter Island zoomed in:

dawn_princess_position_easter_islands_zoomedin_9082014.jpg

This is the first time the World Cruise and even Princess has stopped here.

This could also be the first time they have had a cruise ship visit?

(I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong here :))

And Easter Island has just recently been on TV here in NZ, on a show called "Radar Across The Pacific".

I am pretty sure that cruise ships have visited in the past and it may have been HAL but I have seen an itinerary that went from Buenos Aires, Argentina, around the horn and then to Valperiso, Chile and then went to Easter Island on the way to Pitcairn and cook islands and NZ.:D

A quick search shows numerous cruises in the next 12 months visiting Easter island, Silver Seas - Silver Shadow and Silver Explorer, Regent - Seven Seas Mariner, Crystal - Serenity, Princess- Sea and Ocean, Costa - Deliziosa, Oceania-Marina, P&O- Aurora.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Cruise ships usually call there on the World Cruise as it's rather a long way from anywhere to make it a seperate call.

We called there when we did the HAL WC segment from Valpo to Sydney on Amsterdam. It is touch and go as to wether you get ashore or not as the ship has no sheltered anchorage and depends on the whims of the ocean. Tendering ashore is fun as the Chilean Navy put a "pilot" on each tender as the entrance to the "marina" where the tenders and fishing boats dock has to be surfed into.

Easter Island is not as remote as in the psat as NASA built them an International Airport, just in case they had to rescue a space shuttle that came down in the Pacific.

Once ashore you would think you were in NZ as the language and local names are the same as in NZ.

A fascinating place and when a cruise ship descends on the Island the locals take up the role of Moai police to make sure visitors do not walk on the sacred sites.

Cruise ships usually call there on the World Cruise as it's rather a long way from anywhere to make it a seperate call.

We called there when we did the HAL WC segment from Valpo to Sydney on Amsterdam. It is touch and go as to wether you get ashore or not as the ship has no sheltered anchorage and depends on the whims of the ocean. Tendering ashore is fun as the Chilean Navy put a "pilot" on each tender as the entrance to the "marina" where the tenders and fishing boats dock has to be surfed into.

Easter Island is not as remote as in the psat as NASA built them an International Airport, just in case they had to rescue a space shuttle that came down in the Pacific.

Once ashore you would think you were in NZ as the language and local names are the same as in NZ.

A fascinating place and when a cruise ship descends on the Island the locals take up the role of Moai police to make sure visitors do not walk on the sacred sites.

They also make sure that everyone has the right shoes on, if you do not they say, "Not with those shoes".:p

Ok, so a I was a bit wrong there :), Sorry!

Thank you for the information you guys :D

No need to apologise, this is what this forum is all about, the sharing of information generally about cruising and cruise related topics. I think you have been very helpful and informative with all of the webcam shots and details.:D

Just checked the bridge cam as they are at Easter Island now, but it just says cruising in Easter Island . I hope that does mean that it was too rough to land and go ashore.

We have friends on the Dawn and just received an email from them saying that unfortunately they could not land on Easter Island due to rough seas and are off to Pitcairn.

We have friends on the Dawn and just received an email from them saying that unfortunately they could not land on Easter Island due to rough seas and are off to Pitcairn.

Thanks for the update.

Shame they could not land , but you can see the Moai from the ship....at least the ones along the shore.

Pitcairn is passage only, no parking.