Change to water at dinner and all inclusive.

Will_Dieterich

North American pricing does indeed make Costa not a particularly cheap option. For Europe, we have to add in over $1000 for airfare, plus at least a day or two hotel. Costa's Miami itineraries are 10/11 day sailings, more expensive than what's available from other lines in the Caribbean.

I choose Costa because it delivers an experience I can't get anywhere else, not because it's particularly cheap.

You can also add- a cruise line that hypes itself as so environment-friendly, should be pushing people NOT to use plastic water bottles.

Was there a charge for coffee at dinner? On neoRomatica this spring, carafes of water were served on request, but coffee was extra. This is at least consistent with service in bars.

The lack of consistency make me wonder if some waiters are pulling a scam, that a request to confirm this policy with the maitre d' might produce a different answer. (Having a waiter I couldn't trust to give me a straight answer would definitely provoke a conversation with the maitre d'.)

Edited by Dancer Bob

Seriously :eek:

Why not just buy some water??

I just dont get all this "right to free water" thing.

Maybe as I have a business - but I see Costa has a business to run, and at the amazing prices they offer for their cruises and their drinks packages, I can totally get why they wont want to offer free water.

Costa - base price = cheap - drinks = cheap -

For goodness sake

BUY SOME WATER PEOPLE!!

Filling bottles - :rolleyes: good grief!!!

Nah - I just do not get this one bit..

Tap water by the glass btw is not FREE - someone has to wash and dry the glass, put it away, and serve it to you. That is not a free commodity.

On cruiselines where the base price is high, of course it can be swallowed - but when costas margin is so minimal - I can see exactly why they are not encouraging free jugs of water.

Just buy a bloomin bottle of water!!! Or go pay twice the price for another cruise line and get a free jug of water!!!

Actually, it's a basic human right to expect free water, especially from a floating resort like a cruise ship. Yes, Costa are running a business, but if they're so tight that they can't even provide free water with meals, then maybe they're in more financial trouble than people realise.

Actually, it's a basic human right to expect free water, especially from a floating resort like a cruise ship. Yes, Costa are running a business, but if they're so tight that they can't even provide free water with meals, then maybe they're in more financial trouble than people realise.

Actually - in the UK - the law stands that free water needs only be provided where alcohol is being served -If you dine in any cafe or restaurant in the UK which is not licensed - you do not have the right to a free glass of water.

I have a business, I dont serve alcohol, and I dont have a public water supply -(we have a rural well and an infrared system which, is expensive!) I charge a small nominal amount for "tap" water - (water which we purify, filter, chill, add ice to, and service) - I instruct my staff however to use discretion, of course when someone is dining etc ie spending £££s with us - we dont charge - but you would be surprised at the number of people who think its a "human right" as you say, to free water. Water to my business, is an expensive commodity.

On the Costa Serena this week I can confirm - water - both still and sparkling was being offered freely at both lunch and dinner. We had no problems at any time, in any dining area or bar, in obtaining water

More importantly - the all inclusive was once again tremendous - They have produced a leaflet now which is much more concise. Liqueurs such as Drambuie were included!!! Nice Rusty Nail much to my pleasure!!

Cosmos etc - all included and very nice they were too!!!:D

Free water a basic human right??? I haven´t seen this in any constitution yet :rolleyes:!

Sorry, but I have to pay for my tap water at home too. It´s very unusual to get free tap water in Europe. In some countries you get a glass of water when you order a coffee. In many European countries bottled water is pretty cheap as tap water is not good for drinking in all regions.

On a cruise ship the company has to pay for the water which is partially taken on from the city supplies in a port and partially produced out of sea water (and this process is also "not for free" for the cruise company).

BTW, Costa is Italian and I haven´t heard of any Italian law that everyone has to get free tap water. You don´t get any free tap water in a restaurant in Italy. No, you buy a bottle of still water like you buy a bottle of wine.

Sure, it´s a cut down as they used to have free ice water. But Europeans do not drink ice water. So it´s sort of a waste.

steamboats

I think everyone should get F R E E B E E R, this would then settle all arguments about free water (as beer is 90% water - if you don't drink alohol then leave 10% fluid in the bottle / glass).

Free beer, unless of course you come from Franconia, then you will want free wine.:D

Edited by G.M.T.

• 4 months later...

I've just booked my first Costa cruise. This is from Costa's own faq's.

================================

Can I bring food or drink on board?

No food or drink purchased on land may be brought aboard when boarding the ship. Any local products purchased during excursions may be handed to Costa staff for safekeeping and collected before disembarking at the end of the cruise.

All ships in any case provide generous buffets and drinking water dispensers, with both cold and hot water to prepare teas and infusions at any time of the day. Cocktails, coffees and a wide range of drinks can be purchased on every deck and in all the bars.

Cheers. Ron.

Actually - in the UK - the law stands that free water needs only be provided where alcohol is being served -If you dine in any cafe or restaurant in the UK which is not licensed - you do not have the right to a free glass of water.

I have a business, I dont serve alcohol, and I dont have a public water supply -(we have a rural well and an infrared system which, is expensive!) I charge a small nominal amount for "tap" water - (water which we purify, filter, chill, add ice to, and service) - I instruct my staff however to use discretion, of course when someone is dining etc ie spending £££s with us - we dont charge - but you would be surprised at the number of people who think its a "human right" as you say, to free water. Water to my business, is an expensive commodity.

On the Costa Serena this week I can confirm - water - both still and sparkling was being offered freely at both lunch and dinner. We had no problems at any time, in any dining area or bar, in obtaining water

More importantly - the all inclusive was once again tremendous - They have produced a leaflet now which is much more concise. Liqueurs such as Drambuie were included!!! Nice Rusty Nail much to my pleasure!!

Cosmos etc - all included and very nice they were too!!!:D

People are paying enough for their cruise fares, which is the equivalent to them spending money at your restaurant. Thank goodness I live in Australia, where water is free and cruise lines allow you to have as much as you want.

I've just booked my first Costa cruise. This is from Costa's own faq's.

Can I bring food or drink on board?

No food or drink purchased on land may be brought aboard when boarding the ship. Any local products purchased during excursions may be handed to Costa staff for safekeeping and collected before disembarking at the end of the cruise.

All ships in any case provide generous buffets and drinking water dispensers, with both cold and hot water to prepare teas and infusions at any time of the day. Cocktails, coffees and a wide range of drinks can be purchased on every deck and in all the bars.

Cheers. Ron.

On my last Costa-Cruise which was in March 2013; I had 4 or 5 big bottles of bottled water with me (and I had the all inclusive package as well) I used the bottles during my land excursions and nobody said a word.

It might be something else if you bring softdrinks with you and

it's completly something else if you bring alcoholic drinks with you (don't even try)...

Cheers. Ron.

People are paying enough for their cruise fares, which is the equivalent to them spending money at your restaurant. Thank goodness I live in Australia, where water is free and cruise lines allow you to have as much as you want.

So the reason why Australia is suffer from another worst drought is that they are given all the water, free of charge to cruise ships!

If I was a 'roo I would be (wait for it....) hopping mad.

Water, water, every where,

And all onboard did drink;

Water, water, every where,

Peee'd all night in sink.

Edited by G.M.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently returned from a Med cruise on the Pacifica -- water was not automatically offered in the dining room -- however, our cruise cards showed "WATERUSA" on the back -- so we were given bottled water (not the bottles -- but as much poured as we wanted) -- plus, a surprise -- a glass of wine! We don't know if we paid extra for the waterUSA package (will have to check with the agent after the holidays), but there was no issue.

The one change since our last Costa cruise that we did not appreciate, however, was that coffee was not served in the dining room for lunch or dinner. We had to get it at the bar (and pay of course). I wonder how that will go over when Costa arrives for Caribbean cruises in the next few weeks. Americans like their after dinner coffee!!

Recently returned from a Med cruise on the Pacifica -- water was not automatically offered in the dining room -- however, our cruise cards showed "WATERUSA" on the back -- so we were given bottled water (not the bottles -- but as much poured as we wanted) -- plus, a surprise -- a glass of wine! We don't know if we paid extra for the waterUSA package (will have to check with the agent after the holidays), but there was no issue.

The one change since our last Costa cruise that we did not appreciate, however, was that coffee was not served in the dining room for lunch or dinner. We had to get it at the bar (and pay of course). I wonder how that will go over when Costa arrives for Caribbean cruises in the next few weeks. Americans like their after dinner coffee!!

Ladydancer,

I was on the Pacifica too the same cruise as yours and also noted the "WATERUSA" on the back of the cruise card.

This is the first time I have seen that. I asked about it and it is for the American market, considered a package that is included with the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
]Not as rude as filling water bottles from a buffet :eek:[/color]

Welcome to CC where we have the right to speak our mind.

I personally think the right to free water is wrong.

MY opinion

YOU are entitled to yours

and note

I refrained from quoting you - but hey' date=' if the shoe fits.[/quote']

I agree with that part of your post - very unsanitary.

The issue is not whether water is free- it's not, no more than the rest of the meal which Costa advertises as included in your cruise fare. The issue is why can't I have "a bowl of soup, hold everything except the water". If I promise not to take a shower tomorrow, can I have a carafe of water now?

Singling out filling water bottles as sources of contamination, that's just a scam to sell water,it's no worse than dozens of other places on the ship, like elevator call buttons (there was a recent study in several Toronto hospitals, the elevator buttons were worse contaminated than the washrooms).

Edited by Dancer Bob

The issue is not whether water is free- it's not, no more than the rest of the meal which Costa advertises as included in your cruise fare. The issue is why can't I have "a bowl of soup, hold everything except the water". If I promise not to take a shower tomorrow, can I have a carafe of water now?

Singling out filling water bottles as sources of contamination, that's just a scam to sell water,it's no worse than dozens of other places on the ship, like elevator call buttons (there was a recent study in several Toronto hospitals, the elevator buttons were worse contaminated than the washrooms).

That is why I never touch hand rails press buttons in the lifts with my fingers etc.

• 4 weeks later...

In Italy, no Italian would go to a Restaurant and order tap water. They automatically order mineral water and usually the fizzy one.

The water we drink on a ship, including for cooking, tea, coffee, ice etc, comes from Reverse Osmosis. That's also the system we have in Malta and we joke that it costs more than beer or whisky to produce. The ship's waiters can't just open a tap and fill a pitcher with water which cost is negligible.

There have been so many grumbles by Americans regarding this free water that it seems Costa decided to put Waterusa on the cards thus allowing Americans to free water. i don't know how fair this is.

We were on the first Eclipse cruise from Southampton, UK and the CD announced that most of the passengers were Brits and the biggest complaint Celebrity has from the Brits was that they had no kettle in their cabin. So on all UK sailings the Eclipse would have kettles in the state rooms.

In Italy, no Italian would go to a Restaurant and order tap water. They automatically order mineral water and usually the fizzy one.

The water we drink on a ship, including for cooking, tea, coffee, ice etc, comes from Reverse Osmosis. That's also the system we have in Malta and we joke that it costs more than beer or whisky to produce. The ship's waiters can't just open a tap and fill a pitcher with water which cost is negligible.

There have been so many grumbles by Americans regarding this free water that it seems Costa decided to put Waterusa on the cards thus allowing Americans to free water. i don't know how fair this is.

We were on the first Eclipse cruise from Southampton, UK and the CD announced that most of the passengers were Brits and the biggest complaint Celebrity has from the Brits was that they had no kettle in their cabin. So on all UK sailings the Eclipse would have kettles in the state rooms.

Hard to argue about other cultures traditions. Costa is trying to please as many passengers as possible.