First cruise w/teen boys: Anytime or late dining

navigator71

Super excited to take our 4 teen boys, 17/15/15/14 on their first cruise. I had to wait till I was 29:( So trying to decide if we should go with the flow and eat anytime or would it be better for them as first time cruisers to have set time seating to experience the atmosphere of main dining? My husband and i love anytime but also enjoy the main dining experience with the dancing waiters and singing..... We would do Late Seating. Any experienced cruisers wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!!!

you can see the dancing waiters and all with anytime dining as well. you just need to know when they do it.

I would do anytime because I am not sure what the 'experience' difference is. you can get the same wait staff, have them sing and dance (if you go at the right time), you can sit with others or by yourself.

What do you see as the difference 'experience'?

Super excited to take our 4 teen boys, 17/15/15/14 on their first cruise. I had to wait till I was 29:( So trying to decide if we should go with the flow and eat anytime or would it be better for them as first time cruisers to have set time seating to experience the atmosphere of main dining? My husband and i love anytime but also enjoy the main dining experience with the dancing waiters and singing..... We would do Late Seating. Any experienced cruisers wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!!!

We just got back in April from a cruise with 5 teen boys-17/17/15/15/14 (birthday on the cruise for the last one). We did anytime dining- was just easier for us since they really wanted to participate in Club o2 activities. Yes, even the 14 yr. old was in that club-still not sure how he pulled that one off but he had the sticker on his S&S and did all activities with them after the first night. We got to the dining room sometime between 6:45-7pm every evening. We told the boys to be ready at 6:30 for dinner. Remember the first night is come as you are but their shirts have to have sleeves (two of the boys had on tanks and had to go change).

We did get to see the singing waiters -it seemed to only occur twice on this cruise but we got to see them.

Hope this helps, Happy Sailing!!!

I think anytime would be the best option so that dinner can be flexible based on excursions or other fun things they want to do in the evenings. We've seen the waiters dance during anytime dining. It's usually around 7:15-7:30, but you could always ask the maître d what time it will be on a given night. You can also sit in the same waiter team's section each night and get more personalized service.

And here's a question to ask yourself, OP. What time do your teens typically eat while at home? If it's usually before 8PM, then stick with anytime dining. Plus, as others have pointed out, you'll have more flexibility in getting everyone together at a reasonable time with all the variety of activities and shore excursions.

When DW cruises with SIL, they do anytime dining, because they live in different areas of the country. Too eat at early seating is like eating in mid afternoon for SIL, while eating after 8PM is a bit too late for DW.

Thanks everyone! I only sailed once on Carnival, last June, Glory, just Dh and I and we had no choice for dining and had to have late dining. We have favored NCL bc of the anytime dining through out the ship and on those ships you could eat in a separate dining room so the traditional feel of the main dining room was not experienced. When it has just been DH and I we don't mind not having the same waiter every evening. But like I stated, last year we had no choice bc we booked so close to the cruise. I wasn't sure Anytime dining pax are seated. Are they in the area above the main floor or in a completely different dining room? My boys eat at all different times since we are 3 season sport family and every day is different it seems...so I can see that anytime dining will be best for us:)

Thanks!

My kids are all grown up now, but when they were teenagers we always did late seating. This worked out beautifully for us because they knew exactly when and where to meet up every night for dinner. No one had to go look for anybody. We had the same table every night. Very convenient! We chose the late seating so the kids could participate in the activities without having to break away at 5 PM to get ready for dinner.