Classic Carnival Ships

modelman

A couple pictures of Carnival's first two ships, the Mardi Gras and Carnivale in Bermuda in the early 1980's

Mardi Gras

1959254_10152345724450758_2969242763613097262_n.jpg

And a couple of Carnivale

10295724_10152372726105758_2568714789178441941_n.jpg

1896749_10152372726075758_609600779920796196_n.jpg

1907321_10152372726085758_7674933128721312454_n.jpg

Hard to believe it all started with these two classic former Canadian Pacific Transatlantic liners (Empress of Canada and Empress of Britain).

These photos put it all in perspective, Carnival and indeed the rest of the industry has come a long way since the 70's. I really like these two photos that show Carnival's 1st ship and their 100th ship.

Carnival-Magic-Mardi-Gras.jpg

CARNIVAL-MAGIC-compared-to-MARDI-GRAS.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm sitting here looking at the photo of my grandmother and great-aunt (both now deceased) boarding the Holiday back in 1986!!! My aunt always told me that I'd like cruising, and I took her up on her thoughts some 20 years later. I remember when I told her I had booked my first cruise, she spent hours telling me about the ships, activities, food, etc. The highlight was the Captains Night, where everyone got dressed up, and Midnight buffets.

Edited by sjcruiser

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm sitting here looking at the photo of my grandmother and great-aunt (both now deceased) boarding the Holiday back in 1986!!! My aunt always told me that I'd like cruising, and I took her up on her thoughts some 20 years later. I remember when I told her I had booked my first cruise, she spent hours telling me about the ships, activities, food, etc. The highlight was the Captains Night, where everyone got dressed up, and Midnight buffets.

Sweet memories. My maternal grandmother got very seasick, but have a great photo of them in maybe late 40s or early 50's on the Lurline going to Hawaii. My paternal grandmother and her hubby took several cruises. My folks only 2...I have them beat now with about 7.

My first was 1980 on a ship that was built in 50's and not quite 5000 tons called the Appollon II when I took it. It started as an Irish passenger ship....and was with the Epirotiki lines when I took her to Greek Isles, Jerusalem and Cairo...

So glad I got to see and experience and older ship with old style dining service..that was wonderful...but so love what we have now...

Just love the old pictures...thanks OP....sarah

Edited by sjn911

Thanks for sharing. I love reading about the old steam ships and maritime history of the 20th century. Intersting fact. The funnel paint scheme was actually the same for the Canadian pacific line. ted arison changed the colors to the familiar red white and blue we know today. I believe it was orginally two,shades of green and white.

Yes, CP's final livery was pretty similar to Carnival's though in shades of green as you say, and there was a dark green triangle instead of Carnivals blue inner crescent.

Empress of Canada (became the Mardi Gras)

Empress_of_Canada.jpg

Empress of England (sister of the Empress of Britain / Carnivale)

empress_of_canada14.jpg

Edited by modelman

Our first cruise was on the Festivale and we had what was called a demi-suite. The twin beds were bolted to the floor and had a wooden apron around them to keep you from rolling out.

The ship was only about 37K tons and it rolled quite a bit, enough that you couldn't keep your balance trying to sleep on your side....

And on a bit of a creepy note........the precursor to towel animals was if they could find your nightgown they folded it into the shape of a flower.

Here's a few of the Mardi Gras that I've posted before...

Skeet shooting (don't see that any more) off the stern.

SkeetShooting.jpg

...and as someone mentioned earlier, the nightgown arranged on the bed...

Nightgown.jpg

Here's the pool area...

MGSwimmingPool.jpg

More of the pool area...

DeckArea.jpg

The infamous (and now discontinued) beer drinking contest...

BeerContest.jpg

The always funny (but also now politically incorrect) men's nightgown contest...

MensNightgownContest.jpg

Of course the Festivale was also one of "The Big Red Boat" ships. It was The Big Red Boat III and was one of he Disney Cruise Ships

BigRedBoatIII-03_Dan-Cottle_900.jpg

This was my very 1st cruise at the age of 6!!! It had Looney Toon characters instead of Disney. I just ran across my sail and sign card along with my mom's the other day.

I remember this cruise because I learned the Chicken Dance on this cruise.

Here's a few of the Mardi Gras that I've posted before...

Skeet shooting (don't see that any more) off the stern.

SkeetShooting.jpg

...and as someone mentioned earlier, the nightgown arranged on the bed...

Nightgown.jpg

Here's the pool area...

MGSwimmingPool.jpg

More of the pool area...

DeckArea.jpg

The infamous (and now discontinued) beer drinking contest...

BeerContest.jpg

The always funny (but also now politically incorrect) men's nightgown contest...

MensNightgownContest.jpg

I would love if they still had the skeet shooting of the stern of the ship. How awesome that would be!!!

Carnivale, of course, was Empress of Britain for CP, then Queen Anna Maria for Greek Lines, where she sailed along with the legendary Olympia (Caribe I / Regal Empress). She then had a few other names after her time with Carnival, but as most of them do, they end up at Alang.

1955-1965: RMS Empress of Britain

1965-1975: SS Queen Anna Maria

1975-1993: SS Carnivale

1993-1994: SS Fiesta Marina

1995-1997: SS Olympic

1997-2008: SS The Topaz

Hmmmm... the ships longest service was with Carnival!

It's always been know that in order to save money, Ted Arrison modified the CP logo on the funnel into the Carnival logo. Makes sense to me!

Here's Empress of Britain with her earlier CP logo on the funnel:

EmpOfBritain04.jpg

And Queen Anna Maria:

QUEEN+ANNA+MARIA+Trevor+Jones.jpg

Ya' know, I miss these old ships!

I would love if they still had the skeet shooting of the stern of the ship. How awesome that would be!!!

Can you imagine that now days. :eek: The times have certainly changed! Its a bit sad to me.