Photos of the Updated Canaletto menu; what are your favorites?

When I was on an Alaskan cruise on the Oosterdam last September, Holland America was testing a new “sharing menu” in the Canaletto Restaurant. Several friends and I dined there one night, and tried out a number of small plates, pastas and large plates on the menu because we couldn't agree on what to order.

We have some friends sailing on the Oosterdam soon. Looking at the HAL website this week, it looks like most of those dishes from the "test" menu made it to updated fleet-wide menu. Here's a link to my post with pictures of the dishes that we tried: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/05/17/a-look-at-holland-americas-updated-canaletto-restaurant-menu/

My question: who's eaten at the Canaletto under the new menu, and what dishes did you like best? What would you avoid?

Thanks!

We ate there on the Eurodam in March. My pictures are posted at Halfacts.

Small plates - loved the meatballs and the carpaccio.

Pastas - Bolognese spag and rigitoni with sausage were really good but the best were the short ribs and gnocchi

Large plates - Pork Saltimocca was our least favorite. Chicken caccaitori and veal were our favs.

Tiramisu and limoncello were great desserts.

We went twice in a 14 week cruise. Food and service were great. My pictures and yours are different on some of the same dishes, especially the pork and rigatoni.

We look forward to trying it on the Veendam in July.

When I was on an Alaskan cruise on the Oosterdam last September, Holland America was testing a new “sharing menu” in the Canaletto Restaurant. Several friends and I dined there one night, and tried out a number of small plates, pastas and large plates on the menu because we couldn't agree on what to order.

We have some friends sailing on the Oosterdam soon. Looking at the HAL website this week, it looks like most of those dishes from the "test" menu made it to updated fleet-wide menu. Here's a link to my post with pictures of the dishes that we tried: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/05/17/a-look-at-holland-americas-updated-canaletto-restaurant-menu/

My question: who's eaten at the Canaletto under the new menu, and what dishes did you like best? What would you avoid?

Thanks!

We ate there twice last month and really enjoyed the Rigatoni,Clams,Sea Bass and Veal.Also the Tiramisu 3 ways!

Edited by johnmik1

We were on the Noordam earlier this month and ate at Canaletto once. It was - by far - the best meal of the entire cruise. We loved everything we had:

Canaletto Salad

Potato Gnocchi

Braised Chicken Cacciatore

Trio of Tiramisu

The service and food were both wonderful. Enjoy!

We ate there on the Noordam in March and we really enjoyed the shirt rib gnocchi ( I believe it was gnocchi) the sea bass was also very good. I don't believe it was listed as an app but you could request meatballs.

There were 4 of us and IIRC they suggested we select 2-3 apps, 2 pastas and 2 entrees. It was plenty of food and quite good. We brought our own wine and the steward was a little slow and couldn't quite grasp that we wanted him to just open the wine and we would handle pouring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Huskerchick

We recently returned from the 29 day Oosterdam repositioning from Sydney and ate at the Canaletto 3 times with friends. The spaghetti bologneses, the saluma and the sea bass were all favourites. Our friends disembarked in Seattle and DW and I decided to eat there for the last night of our cruise to Vancouver. Apparently, the Caneletto chef had also disembarked in Seattle. Service was slow and the food was unappetizing to say the least. We were leaving as the sea bass arrived. One taste was enough and we left hungry. Hopefully, this was a one off but it was a very poor ending to what had been several very enjoyable dining experiences. Also, the restaurant was nearly empty. During the cruise it was near capacity every night.

Wondering what fish the "white sea bass" is actually . Especially since HAL has gone the cheap route for fish, calling it the sustainable choice. On our last cruise everything was farm raised. Basa, Swai, Tilapia, Atlantic salmon, catfish (maybe one of the first two, nobody knew if it was of US origin), Baramundi

Wondering what fish the "white sea bass" is actually . Especially since HAL has gone the cheap route for fish, calling it the sustainable choice. On our last cruise everything was farm raised. Basa, Swai, Tilapia, Atlantic salmon, catfish (maybe one of the first two, nobody knew if it was of US origin), Baramundi

For informational purposes only.

Actual name for Chilean Sea Bass is Patagonian Toothfish. In Chile and Argentina one of the least expensive menu offerings. Here one of the most expensive.

On the World Cruise the food was fantastic. A group of us ate there many times. I loved the pate, but everything was wonderful.

Nights we would have gone to the Pinnacle we picked the Cantelleto. I went with groups from 5 to 24. The service and food was so much better after Singapore. At one time you couldn't have paid me to eat there. That was when it was free. If the management of the Pinnacle remains the same on the Amsterdam, the Cantelleto will be my restaurant of choice.

It was due for an update.

The previous menu was mediocre, at best.

You are being very kind. The old menu was so bad that after trying it once when Caneletto was new to the fleet (I believe it was on the Eurodam in 2008) we never returned. We may decide to try the new menu.

For informational purposes only.

Actual name for Chilean Sea Bass is Patagonian Toothfish. In Chile and Argentina one of the least expensive menu offerings. Here one of the most expensive.

It probably was not the "Chilean Sea Bass" since that is now on the no no sustainability list. Interesting though how they ever came up with the name sea bass for the Toothfish, it so looks like a cod. 250px-Toothfish.jpg

But then again like I said HALs new adoption of sustainability species may be more about the money.

It probably was not the "Chilean Sea Bass" since that is now on the no no sustainability list. Interesting though how they ever came up with the name sea bass for the Toothfish, it so looks like a cod. 250px-Toothfish.jpg

But then again like I said HALs new adoption of sustainability species may be more about the money.

You made me curious. A quick Google search for "white seabass" and I learned the following from Seafoodwatch.org :

White seabass caught with handlines is a "Best Choice" because populations have recovered from previously being overfished, and there is virtually no bycatch or significant impacts on the habitat or ecosystem.

Consumer Note

The "white seabass" isn't a seabass at all - it's a member of the croaker family and the largest croaker in the Pacific Ocean. White seabass is sold whole or as fillets, both fresh and frozen.

Summary

White seabass are caught primarily with drift and set gillnet throughout southern California. Commercial hook and line fishing occurs for white seabass in Monterey Bay.

You are being very kind. The old menu was so bad that after trying it once when Caneletto was new to the fleet (I believe it was on the Eurodam in 2008) we never returned. We may decide to try the new menu.

There has been many updates in the menu since then and they were a lot better then this one. Pasta doesn't agree with me so I'm hooped with this new menu (pretty much).

The whole menu is this "sharing" thing?

Darn. I was considering eating there on my cruise, but I'm traveling on my own and don't need a plate of anything intended to share. :(

It would be difficult to do alone. They had trouble cutting down the dishes for me. It was way too much food. On top of it I got charged for 2 people in error.

It would be difficult to do alone. They had trouble cutting down the dishes for me. It was way too much food. On top of it I got charged for 2 people in error.

Thanks. Good to know. I will stick to room service (if needed) for Juneau night - due to the time of my excursion, I'll miss dinner with the group (early fixed) and had been considering this as an option. Thanks for sharing your experience.

On the Eurodam there were some groups of 2 who did not want to share. They each wanted just half orders and had no problem getting it. Spoke to a gentleman who ate by himself (wife would not eat in Lido) and he enjoyed it and got half portions.

Our waiter offered to get my dad a single portion of a pasta dish since he was the only one who wanted it and we did not want a full serving to waste.

The food on the new menu is good. Plenty of choices.

PROBLEM....

I hate the sharing nonsense. I want to eat what I want... and I don't interested the sharing. It is just the system of sharing that is worng. If someone wants to share with someone... let them just just 'order whaat the other person' just like any restaurant. The waiter are trying to push items that the other diners don;t want. More than waste that trying to be clever.

Having of large plate for two people or more... becomes with those silly tongs...cheap ten cents from some China fleapit bargain shop. Not what i want to see on a nice table setting. Some of the item portions are just HUGE. A waste.

NOT A PROBLEM.... the menus is fairly good and it good and tasty. Lets down the service. I'm quite the waiter don't like it. It takes time to explain the service.

Grrrrrrrr!