Weather in fjords

coxy

We have done 4 cruises to Norway at various times and have never had bad weather. We got back from a trip earlier this month and whilst it wasn't warm we didn't have weather bad enough to stop us going out and about.

When we have been in June we have had weeks when the sun hardly stopped shining (including through most of the night)

It is such a great place to visit I would never let worries bout the weather put me off.

It won't snow and it won't be above 35 degrees C. Probably. As for the rest, it depends on the weather. :)

It's usually sunny when I go, but then it's usually sunny whenever and wherever I go. That's because I'm usually with my mother who is something of a weathermonger. She always gets the weather she wants. Therefore I can promise sunshine in the second week of June this year.

Take a look at any of the many climate/weather sites, or even Wikipedia, and look at the monthly climate averages. Add +/-10 degrees C, because weather is very variable, and count the wet days. That will give you a guide to the range of weather you might get.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Not too different from the north of England really; it can rain, or be warm and sunny. I've had days in shorts and t shirt and days wearing trousers, a fleece and cagoule.

Take a waterproof and a light fleece or jacket and a couple of jumpers as well as shorts, and warmer weather clothes.

I was on Arcadia in the Fjords last June. We had everything from rain - in Bergen, often happens, overcast in Stavanger and then full sun on other days. So go prepared with umbrella, sun lotion, raincoat and t shirts! Have a great time, the scenery is fabulous even when the sun isn't shining.

We went in June last year and mostly had excellent weather. At one point we were sunbathing on the deck. Those who took a trip to North Cape found it cold and very foggy. I would pack for every eventuality and you can't go wrong.

We've been to the Fjords the last 3 years in June and have been lucky that each port - except Bergen - has been dry and in the main sunny and very warm. Gerainger and Olden were as hot as the Med but on 3 visits to Bergen, 3 days of pouring rain :(

Be prepared for rain but it should be fine everywhere - except Bergen :)

Edited by Sumdumgi

We did the fjords in late May and had rain most of the way. The scenery was still stunning, the trip up gerainger fjord was amazing in the cloud, which was actually fog! Pack for all eventualities you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First time to Tromso it was so hot that we walked over the bridge, up the cable car and then sat on the ice field to cool down. Would advise on taking some sticky tape to hold the curtains together. The midnight sun can be a menace at times.

I've viewed the Stavanger webcam today a few times, two MSC ships in. This morning it was very dark, choppy sea and absolutely throwing it down.

A few hours later and it looks like you could be on deck sunbathing.

Edited by Thejuggler

• 4 weeks later...
It's usually sunny when I go, but then it's usually sunny whenever and wherever I go. That's because I'm usually with my mother who is something of a weathermonger. She always gets the weather she wants. Therefore I can promise sunshine in the second week of June this year.

And just to say "I told you so..." - just back, and in 4 days on land the sun went behind a cloud on just 2 of them. And only for a few minutes on one of them; the worst day had hot sun in the morning and clouded over in the afternoon. I have offered my mother's services to P&O on a no-win no-fee basis - if it rains, she'll pay; if it stays fine, she gets it free - but they won't play. ;)

And just to say "I told you so..." - just back, and in 4 days on land the sun went behind a cloud on just 2 of them. And only for a few minutes on one of them; the worst day had hot sun in the morning and clouded over in the afternoon. I have offered my mother's services to P&O on a no-win no-fee basis - if it rains, she'll pay; if it stays fine, she gets it free - but they won't play. ;)

Brilliant :D

We had dry but very very cold weather last year in late April/early May - Stavanger was our only rainy place and Bergen was actually dry - but so so cold! Made for great photos though - blue skies and snow!

Edited by P&O SUE

Norway's weather is just like the weather that the Lake District gets :)

Be prepared to be blown away by the wind at the North Cape, we just about held onto our hats there in early August two years ago. The visitor centre there is worth a look, however my mum disappointed us with her description of the view from the North Cape. She said it was like standing at the top of the Great Orme in Llandudno. That was our joke for the rest of the trip. We'd gone all that way and could have been in Llandudno instead ;)

You'll love Norway, I do and I hope to go on the Azura on her cruise there next month.