Review - Solo on the Freedom - May 10, 2014

agp_mzk

Debarkation

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end eventually. On debarkation morning, I met up with Lee for breakfast in the dining room. I had tags for Zone 1, and he had Zone 6, but we sat on the Promenade and hung out until the final call came for everyone to finish disembarking, around 10:30 am. Suzanne, another member of our group, stopped by for a little bit as well. She had such a great time that she had booked the second leg of a B2B on our ship! I wish I could have stayed on board with her; I wasn't ready for the magic to end.

My luggage was easy to find, sitting all by itself in the Zone 1 section of the terminal! It took about 45 minutes to get through the debarkation line, but we breezed right through customs. Lee and I were the last of our group to separate at this point, and I grabbed a cab to the airport. While waiting to check in for my flight, I bumped into a couple of the members of my roll call - for the first time since the day of embarkation!

FYI for those who fly Allegiant: The weight limit for checked bags is 40 lbs, not 50 like most airlines...I was definitely "that girl" who had to transfer clothes from my checked bag to my carry on at the ticket counter. :rolleyes: The plane boarded on time, but we sat on the runway for over an hour before taking off. The pilot was having some kind of problem communicating with the air traffic control officer. Finally, we took off for an uneventful flight home, and I was back in my own house for the first time in ten days around 7 pm.

I have to say that taking this solo trip was the best thing I have ever done for myself. The increased confidence and sense of empowerment that I gained were much needed after what had been a pretty rough few weeks leading up to the cruise. The people I met this week have made a permanent impact on me. The only word that I can use to sum up the experience is "magical". I don't think I'll ever be able to top this week, but we're sure going to try!

Thank you all for your compliments on the review! I hope at least a little of the fun we had comes through in the words and pictures I've shared with you guys.

Edited by agp_mzk

Did you get to see any shows at the main theater?

I didn't go to any of the production shows; they're not really my thing. Other than the comedy, the only "shows" we saw were the hypnotist and the Love and Marriage show. The hypnotist didn't do much for me, but the Love and Marriage show was pretty funny and entertaining.

One of my table mates, John, creates videos that he posts on YouTube as "crusiecrewtv". I can't wait until he gets the ones from our sailing posted! They are sure to be hilarious.

OMG - I know John!! That's too funny!

Edited by KarenMF

Loved the review! I was on this sailing with you, actually just a walk down the hallway, I was in 8-340. It was my first balcony ever, and I loved the location. I was right by the stairs that came up to Guy's and Blue Iguana. That's a dangerous location for easy access to food. I ate way too many burgers and burritos during the week. haha. I'm sad it came to an end but as of a few hours ago I'll be sailing a 5 day on the Paradise next week. Woooohooo!

Awesome review, great pictures and glad you had a wonderful cruise!! We leave 6-1-14 on the Freedom and cannot wait. I noticed you did not mention the Piano Bar, or the Alchemy Bar, so I am guessing you bypassed those? ...that being the case, did you hear any feedback from others? ...also, is all the construction complete?

AGAIN, GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TRIP!

Awesome review, great pictures and glad you had a wonderful cruise!! We leave 6-1-14 on the Freedom and cannot wait. I noticed you did not mention the Piano Bar, or the Alchemy Bar, so I am guessing you bypassed those? ...that being the case, did you hear any feedback from others? ...also, is all the construction complete?

AGAIN, GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TRIP!

Thank you!

I walked by the piano bar on the first evening to check it out (a "singles sing-a-long" was listed in the FunTimes for that particular time slot), but the crowd was considerably thinner/older than I was interested in, so I didn't go inside.

I stopped at the Alchemy Bar on the last evening between the race and dinner. Service there was a bit slow but friendly. The drinks were tasty and quite delicious!

Not all of the construction was complete, but nothing that was ongoing affected my cruise in any way. I think the kids club was in a temporary location during our sailing. The water slide was only open on embarkation day; they were working on it the remainder of the cruise. There were workers on the ship making minor adjustments to light fixtures, etc. most days in several different locations. They had a portion of the deck around/below one side of Serenity closed and some equipment over there; I'm not sure why or what that was. There may have been other things still being constructed as well, but those were the only ones I noticed.

Wondering if Red Frog Pub offers the appetizers as they have on Breeze. Anyone know??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not certain, but I believe they do. I know for sure that they give the free plantain chips and spiced nuts - both of which were delicious, by the way.

Wonderful review!!! I cannot wait to visit the Red Frog Pub. Did you go to the Blue Iguana? I'll be on the Freedom in June and am anxious to see all the upgrades.

Loved seeing your pictures - looks like you had a fabulous cruise. Thanks for sharing!!

Wonderful review!!! I cannot wait to visit the Red Frog Pub. Did you go to the Blue Iguana? I'll be on the Freedom in June and am anxious to see all the upgrades.

Loved seeing your pictures - looks like you had a fabulous cruise. Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you! Yes, I did have lunch from the Blue Iguana one day. I thought the food was very tasty, and I liked that the burrito wasn't gigantic (like a typical Qdoba/Moe's/etc. serving). I wished that there was a greater variety of toppings offered, but overall I give it a thumbs up.

Hi, Thanks so much for the review. Was the Tandoor grill still there on the lido deck aft? I've heard it is not, I love the Indian food served there. Sailing on the Freedom on the 22nd of June.

I don't believe there was a Tandoor grill. If there was, I never saw it, and it was never listed in the FunTimes with the other dining options.

Great Review. We are thinking of a cruise on the Freedom in Oct. or Nov.

Thank you for taking the time to do it and post it. Do you have the Fun Times? Will you post them?

thanks again. Looks like you had a lovely cruise but that you would have a good time no matter where you sailed!!! Cheers to You!