packable hat

Lutèce

I burn easily so need to wear a hat in strong sunlight. Can anyone recommend a packable hat which will look good when unpacked? I'm thinking perhaps I'll get a packable Panama hat. A baseball cap is out of the question.

Keep in mind that sun reflects off the water, so even with a hat in you'll still need sunscreen in your face, and the SPF 15 in many face creams isn't going to be enough if you burn easily. There are a few face creams that use SPF 30, I like the one from Kiehls and used that on my French Polynesia cruise and my face never burned. I used Neutrogena wet skin spray on SPF50 on the rest of me and also never burned--and I burn badly.

Orvis (orvis.com) has some great packable hats for both warm and cool weather. I love my Orvis packable felt hat, but it is not really good for hot weather. They make a packable fedora for warm weather that is washable. Orvis stuff is a little pricey. For less expensive options go to any large sporting goods retailer. For hot weather I use a larger brim hat made by a company called Redhead. The one I have is their brushed twill outdoor safari hat. It is in the $20 to $25 range and great for hot weather (not to mention keeping fish hooks out of your ears).

TravelSmith has several packable hats.

http://www.travelsmith.com/women/accessories/hats/

I have the Big Brim Packable Panama Hat. I burn easily and this hat worked well in the sunny Galapagos.

10814_alt1?$product_add_image$

I'm thinking of getting this one:

11098_main?$product_add_image$

"The Honolulu-Developed, Highly Protective Sun Hat

The lightweight and very stylish ETSIS™ (Escaping the Sun in Style) UPF50+ Sun Hat protects your entire face, head and neck. Approved by the Melanoma International Foundation, it has a generous 5"W brim and two removable, UPF25+ snap-in scarf panels. Crushes for packing; springs back into shape. "

My D.W.and I both got hats for the beach from Columbia , mine was a light canvas type hers was a very light nylon (strong and well made) both had wide brims. I wore mine into the ocean (Atlantic City) and lost it she felt bad and offered me hers (they are unisex) and this one is much better in every way light ,cool and easy to wear . She switched to straw and likes the look better.

I burn easily so need to wear a hat in strong sunlight. Can anyone recommend a packable hat which will look good when unpacked? I'm thinking perhaps I'll get a packable Panama hat. A baseball cap is out of the question.

If you have a Costco nearby, check there. Ours has some nice looking ones that supposedly have some UV protection treatment. They pack perfectly flat and take up virtually no room.

If you have a Costco nearby, check there. Ours has some nice looking ones that supposedly have some UV protection treatment. They pack perfectly flat and take up virtually no room.

We don't have Costco in France:)

So what does the French woman wear to keep the sun out? ( not at the beach)

if not at the beach, then just some decent sunglasses and not always at the beach. That's why I' m finding it difficult looking for something that doesn't look 'beachy' for our cruise which will be in equatorial waters.

I saw your earlier post re hats in Paris & Rome. I never wear a hat in the summer, just sunglasses, but if your husband is thinning on top(!) he might consider a Panama hat. Many stylish French and Italian gentlemen wear them and he wouldn't look like a tourist!

Actually I think I've probably answered my own question and will get myself a Panama