Marriage Documentation?

I was married this year and I am wondering, do I have to get an entirely new passport (mine is already new!) with my married name or can I bring my marraige license with my DL and SSN with the current passport? :confused:

Edited by LindseyButlerWilson

I was married this year and I am wondering, do I have to get an entirely new passport (mine is already new!) with my married name or can I bring my marraige license with my DL and SSN with the current passport? :confused:

If the booking is in your married name, then your current passport with the marriage license would be sufficient. If the booking is made in your maiden name, then just the passport is fine.

Cruise Critic does NOT issue passports, the US State Department does for American citizens [your OP did not specify your nationality].

If you go to this website - you will find your answer, and it will cost you $0.00

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

Hint - Google is your friend

Cruise Critic does NOT issue passports, the US State Department does for American citizens [your OP did not specify your nationality].

If you go to this website - you will find your answer, and it will cost you $0.00

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html

I don't understand your post.

OP is not asking HOW do you update your passport, she is asking does she NEED to in order to have correct documentation to board. That type of question can't be easily googled.

Chengkp75 gave good information.

Edited by dwjoe

I was trying to find out whether anyone on CC knew Carnival's policy as regards the passport name not matching my married name.

People can be SO rude here:(

WOW! its amazing how rude some people can be, especially when they didn't even read the question to begin with! To answer your question, no need for your SNN card or DL. Your ML and PP will be perfectly fine.

From the US Department of State Passport Services website:

Name Changes

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new passport. The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.

Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your name change document, and a color passport photo. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or

Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.

More than one year has passed since your passport was issued, and you are eligible to use Form DS-82*:

Submit Form DS-82 by mail with your current passport, your name change document, a color passport photo, and all applicable fees. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-82; or

Print Form DS-82 and complete by hand.

More than one year has passed since your passport was issued, and you are not eligible to use Form DS-82*:

You must submit Form DS-11 in person at an Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency, along with your evidence of U.S. citizenship, your name change document, a valid ID and photocopy of that ID, a color passport photo, and all applicable fees. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-11; or

Print Form DS-11 and complete by hand.

You will not need to provide proof of the name change if your name has changed due to a marriage and you have already been issued an ID in your new name. You must include the details of the marriage in the applicable section on Form DS-11.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/correction.html#Changes

Now, as to whether Carnival will accept a passport with a name that doesn't match the reservation, I don't know.

Edited by Shmoo here

Now, as to whether Carnival will accept a passport with a name that doesn't match the reservation, I don't know.

A marriage license is the bridge document that makes the different last names OK.

The same applies if using a birth certificate and photo ID as cruise documentation. Many married women's birth certificates don't match the last name on their driver's license, and they will still be able to board. However, they may be asked for a marriage certificate to document the name change.

Bring the documentation that matches the reservation. If your personal docs are all different than bring the marriage license. Do you have time to at least change your license if it is different?

Bring the documentation that matches the reservation. If your personal docs are all different than bring the marriage license. Do you have time to at least change your license if it is different?

I have changed my license to my married name. It sounds like I can bring that, my passport, and my marriage license and be good to go. I might just get the passport corrected anyway, it's just such a pain when I updated it two years ago and paid all that money for only two years of use... Thanks to everyone who answered (nicely), I appreciate your help. :o

I have changed my license to my married name. It sounds like I can bring that, my passport, and my marriage license and be good to go. I might just get the passport corrected anyway, it's just such a pain when I updated it two years ago and paid all that money for only two years of use... Thanks to everyone who answered (nicely), I appreciate your help. :o

If you have been married less than one year, you do not pay any change fees for the new passport in your married name. Is your reservation under your maiden name? If so just keep the passport under your maiden name until after the sailing. If your reservation is under your married name go ahead and change the passport. Easily done and makes it easier on you at check in. If you made the reservation under your married name and you have sailed before on Carnival under your maiden name, contact your PVP or TA to get both combined under VIFP #. This advice came from my PVP when the same situation came up regarding my daughter in law.