Traffic Concerns-Amalfi Coast Tours from Naples

lucky cal

One of our ports on our June Eastern Med cruise is Naples and we would like to tour the Amalfi Coast, visiting Positano, Ravello, Amalfi and maybe Sorrento as well. Rick Steves has cautioned that due to high traffic on the Amalfi Coast in the summer, independent tours could be a bit risky in terms of getting back to the ship on time.

We would prefer an independent tour versus a ship excursion but would hate to get left behind on the last night of our cruise.

Can anyone speak to this and share your experiences with traffic in June on the Amalfi Coast? Have you had any issues with making it back to your ship on time?

For reference, we arrive in Naples at 7:00am and the ship sails at 6:30pm.

Thank you.

We were in Amalfi for a week last August. Traffic was bad but what you describe should be easily doable if this is all you are going to do for the day. It depends on where you begin your private tour. The traffic between Sorrento and Naples can be quite bad. I recommend considering taking a boat to Sorrento and starting the tour there and you can have the tour take you back to Naples or Soreento depending on where you end the drive on the coast. Have a back up plan just in case.

The traffic is awful, but one of the reasons you pay for a professional driver is for his/her expertise regarding the roads. The drivers are in communication with one another and they drive these roads every day, so they have the latest and best information. None of them would be able to remain in business if they got a reputation for missing the boat, so they err well on the side of caution.

One of the great things about an independent tour is that because your group is so small you can get off the ship early and quickly, and get right over to the Amalfi Drive, beating the bus tours. The ships tours have to meet somewhere, wait to get called for your bus, etc. Amalfi is a great destination for an independent tour and I wouldn't worry, the guys know that you must be back before sailing.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We would echo Euro Cruisers post that professional drivers are used to the traffic and plan accordingly. Also keep in mind that buses (like those used on cruise excursions) cannot enter into Positano. The Amalfi Coast is best explored in a car or van.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a private tour with Romein limo (I think-did not set it up) there were 4 of us (October-)--absolutely wonderful to have our own driver. He knew about all the road conditions- -drivers in touch about Road conditions. We were to go to Sorrento but could not as a horrible accident -road was closed-remember not like here in the states-just take another one-no other way to go!. All the tours that had gone to Sorrento had to take a boat back to meet the ship--guess not too uncommon for road to close because of the accidents. We left the ship early & was to go to Ravello first - On our way to Ravello (was right around the next bend) -another accident so turned around went to Amalfi, then to Postiano then came back went thru Ravello since missed it in the morning. All worked beautifully. Yes, expensive but may on your Roll call you can join a couple or see if you can start one. Get your tour first, though. Not sure how long before we booked the tour. He was an excellent driver & very knowledgable-we did not have to pay upfront but had to pay in Euros upon completion of the tour. Took us to a fabulous restruant up on a hill overlooking Positano. -not included but we did the all one price menu-was wonderful!! lots of tastes of everything.

One of our ports on our June Eastern Med cruise is Naples and we would like to tour the Amalfi Coast, visiting Positano, Ravello, Amalfi and maybe Sorrento as well. Rick Steves has cautioned that due to high traffic on the Amalfi Coast in the summer, independent tours could be a bit risky in terms of getting back to the ship on time.

We would prefer an independent tour versus a ship excursion but would hate to get left behind on the last night of our cruise.

Can anyone speak to this and share your experiences with traffic in June on the Amalfi Coast? Have you had any issues with making it back to your ship on time?

For reference, we arrive in Naples at 7:00am and the ship sails at 6:30pm.

Thank you.

The road is a 2 lane highway through narrow passageways. When we went, we were stuck in traffic for over an hour b/c 2 Italian busses going in opposite directions, kind of sideswiped each other.....We did make it back to the ship in time; we were on our own tour.

We were just there in early May and it was crowded so that will be a fact when you go.

I would go independent with a good company. But I would pad the time. So if normally the tour would get you back at 5:00 PM and say the ship is leaving at 6:00 PM have the tour get you back at 3:30 PM or something like that. That is one of the advantages of doing it independently. You can also do other things to save time. For example, you could either go for a short lunch or as we did just bring your lunch with you. You can spend more time in one place and less in another.

I am one of those who is open to touring independently, on our own and on ships tours. We make our decisions case by case. This is one that is nice to do on your own.

Keith

I think we had a 5 or 6 pm departure; we were back by 4 or so. There is a "freeway" instead of the winding roads back from Sorrento and environs. If you do hire a driver, they will know the traffic and the best time to leave to get you back in time.

I would go independent with a good company. But I would pad the time. So if normally the tour would get you back at 5:00 PM and say the ship is leaving at 6:00 PM have the tour get you back at 3:30 PM or something like that. ....

Keith

3;30 pm is about the time we want to be back in Sorrento to see the town leisurely, and would rather be driven along Amalfi coast in the morning and early afternoon.

Can you email me the name of the tour company you used in Sorrento? Thanks.

email: cal7112@yahoo.ca