Travelguard gold policy, misleading!

reaperman

Just one other thing that no one thinks about much. A lot of the larger travel agencies offer insurance either free or for a small extra payment. BUT a lot of those policies are written SPECIFICALLY for the travel agency. The policy very well MAY NOT be the same policy you can buy direct from the insurer or even one of the travel insurance websites. They are "custom" policies with additions/deletions that the travel agency and insurer agree to.

TravelGuard and Berkely are two insurers that write a lot of "custom" policies.

I don't think the OP has any problem at all collecting the money. Whether the TravelGuard policy he purchased conforms to the info on the website is debatable due to so many variations in the policies. Even though his policy may be called GOLD, it may not be the same policy at all. All in the FINE PRINT, not a website.

Generally speaking it does effect the time. When I inquired the insurance company told me that in order to have pre-existing conditions waived that the policy would have to be purchased within 15 days from actually purchasing the Next Cruise Certificate. Reason being that insurance company still considered the Next Cruise Certificate as having purchased a cruise. This is the reason I do not purchase the certificates. I either actually book on board or forego purchasing a Next Cruise Certificate.

Yes...but there is one (might be other's) company in particular that doesn't consider the NCC date...so that might be worth looking into for the many that do use them..My info comes from the insurance store..and is easy to check if needed....just offering some info so that other's won't just assume.

Also make sure about that 15 day period...I believe if you have used a Next Cruise Certificate it could affect that timing or so I've read with certain policies...something some might not realize.

This is the first I've read this on all my years on these forums. It is very necessary information for people to understand.

I have never read of anyone's claims being refused because they used a Future Cruise Deposit for their deposit and that was done more than 15 days from the date of purchase of that FCD, as HAL calls them. I'd be really interested to read of experiences someone here has had in that regard.

Thank you for mentioning this. It is something I will look into before using a FCD for another cruise.

I have a Next Cruise and insured with Travel Guard. DW just got off the phone with Travel Guard about the subject of preexisting waiver date when you are using a Next Cruise Certificate . It is important that you know the original Issue Date because that is what the Travel Guard says they go by. The Issue Date is when you actually book a cruise and is the start of 15 day waiver.

If you look at your booking information, at least on RCI, you will see an Issue Date (the day you actually booked your cruise) and a Booking Date (the day the Next Cruise was issued). If you make changes to your reservation you will get a new Issue Date so it may be wise to print off the original booking confirmation to have that date available if you need to make a claim.

Shak

This! I don't think OP that you understand how medical insurance works when you are covered by two policies.

This is not a major issue. As you've already been told, either a mistake was made by the TG, in which case you can appeal, or you simply need to submit your claim first to your regular medical insurance, and then forward that denial to TG, who will then pay whatever they allow for these charges.

I have filed several success claims with TG with no problem.

I work in the insurance industry and I am a lawyer. You in fact can collect in full from more than one policy. You will then have taxable income. It depends on the policy, the states insurance rules and whether you bought the policy as an individual or through a group. There is no one answer.

I work in the insurance industry and I am a lawyer. You in fact can collect in full from more than one policy. You will then have taxable income. It depends on the policy, the states insurance rules and whether you bought the policy as an individual or through a group. There is no one answer.

Given your experience as attorney and insurance industry, would you say:

(a) if you use a future cruise deposit (cerificate), whatever your cruise line terms it, to book a cruise three months after you purchased that future cruise deposit/certificate, would the pre-existing time period during which you must buy the insurance be the date you instructed the cruise line to apply that certificate to satisfy deposit requirement or

(b) the date you originally purchased that deposit/certificate?

(a) if you use a future cruise deposit (cerificate), whatever your cruise line terms it, to book a cruise three months after you purchased that future cruise deposit/certificate, would the pre-existing time period during which you must buy the insurance be the date you instructed the cruise line to apply that certificate to satisfy deposit requirement or

Not who you are specifically asking...but I feel safe in saying the Terms & Conditions would vary by particular policy & company of issue.

None of the excess reimbursement amount is taxable income if no part of the health insurance policy's premium is paid by your employer or if the employer's contribution to your premium was included in your income. Even if none of the employer's contribution was included in your income if you paid any part of the premiums only part of the excess reimbursement is taxable.

Please see IRS publication 502:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000179086

There's no simple answer. You have to read your policy to determine the answer, which will vary by insurance company. In some policies the date you purchased the future cruise certificate is considered to be the date of your initial payment. In others the date you actually apply that future cruise certificate to a reservation for a specific cruise is considered ther date of the initial payment.

There's no simple answer. You have to read your policy to determine the answer, which will vary by insurance company. In some policies the date you purchased the future cruise certificate is considered to be the date of your initial payment. In others the date you actually apply that future cruise certificate to a reservation for a specific cruise is considered ther date of the initial payment.

Yes exactly what I posted (#32) but in simpler terms ;)

I was in the room when DW asked Travel Guard what date they go by for the Issue Date (date you actually book) or Booking Date (date Next Cruise was issued). Her initial response was the Booking Date. My wife said ok and was about to hang up when I asked her to ask how exactly we are supposed to purchase insurance for the preexisting waiver if using Next Cruise since it may be months or even years before using. The rep had to put DW on hold to answer but when she came back she said they go by the Issue Date (the day you actually book).

This only seem logical to me since one you don't know what your age will be when you get a Next Cruise or how much the trip will cost. Both are important information in determining the cost of insurance.

If you make any changes to your reservation and the cruise line issues you a new reservation, like a room change or price reduction, the Issue Date will change to that date of the change. That is why I suggested you keep a copy of the original reservation so you can prove you purchased insurance within the 15 days of booking.

Shak

I was in the room when DW asked Travel Guard what date they go by for the Issue Date (date you actually book) or Booking Date (date Next Cruise was issued). Her initial response was the Booking Date. My wife said ok and was about to hang up when I asked her to ask how exactly we are supposed to purchase insurance for the preexisting waiver if using Next Cruise since it may be months or even years before using. The rep had to put DW on hold to answer but when she came back she said they go by the Issue Date (the day you actually book).

This only seem logical to me since one you don't know what your age will be when you get a Next Cruise or how much the trip will cost. Both are important information in determining the cost of insurance.

If you make any changes to your reservation and the cruise line issues you a new reservation, like a room change or price reduction, the Issue Date will change to that date of the change. That is why I suggested you keep a copy of the original reservation so you can prove you purchased insurance within the 15 days of booking.

Shak

Whatever you do, don't rely on what a telephone customer service rep tells you. Read your insurance policy.

Whatever you do, don't rely on what a telephone customer service rep tells you. Read your insurance policy.

Noted.

Our trip cruise in June is a Next Cruise so it is a little late in the game to change anything. Hopefully I won't have to find out.

Where exactly in the policy would you find that information by the way?

Shak

This may be a silly question but here goes: How would the insurance company know the date you purchased your future cruise certificate? There isn't anything on the cruise line confirmation. The only dates are the date booked, the cancellation date, and sailing date.

This may be a silly question but here goes: How would the insurance company know the date you purchased your future cruise certificate? There isn't anything on the cruise line confirmation. The only dates are the date booked, the cancellation date, and sailing date.

They can ask to see proof of payment when you file a claim, and your credit card statement will clearly show this date.

Where is the date of the FCC listed?

I am not sure what you're asking, but when you make this payment, the date you made it is in the cruise line's system and on your credit card statement.

That said, I've been told by TG that the date you transfer this money to book your cruise is when the clock starts ticking; it's not the date you made a deposit for some cruise to be chosen later. Suggest anyone make sure this is the case before relying on this information.

Noted.

Our trip cruise in June is a Next Cruise so it is a little late in the game to change anything. Hopefully I won't have to find out.

Where exactly in the policy would you find that information by the way?

Shak

In the standard Travel Guard Gold policy (note there may be different wording in the policy used in your state of residence) that information is in Section III - Definitions:

“Initial Trip Payment”

means the first payment made to the

Insured’s Travel Supplier toward the cost of the Insured’s Trip.

Further, "Travel Supplier" is defined in the same section of the policy :

“Travel Supplier”

means the tour operator, hotel, rental

company, cruise line or airline that provides prepaid travel

arrangements for the Insured’s Trip.

Those two definition taken together and as interpreted by Travel Guard mean that the date you purchased your future cruise deposit is the date of the Initial Trip Payment.

Note that this is Travel Guard's policy language. There are other insurers that do not not use the same language or interpretation of the initial trip payment date.

Here is a photo of my booking. The Issue Date is when I made the booking and the Booking Date is the date I purchased the Next Cruise.

Shak

c7f2b977-a3ec-4b0f-a860-192e80b33bb2_zps489d61c2.jpg

And that is a perfect example of why Travel Guard's language is troublesome for you. They will say that under their policy definitions your date of first payment was on November 11, not Feb. 25 .

Edited by njhorseman

And that is a perfect example of why Travel Guard's language is troublesome for you. They will say that under their policy definitions your date of first payment was on November 11, not Feb. 25 .

Alright njhorseman I have my insurance policy in hand. Under Pre-existing Medical Conditions Exclusion Waiver. 1)"The plan is purchased within 15 days of Initial Trip Payment." The definition of Initial Trip Payment "means the first payment to the Insured's Travel Supplier toward the cost of the Insured Trip. That is it.

I guess you could look at it two ways. One is the Next Cruise certificate is the first payment but payment of what. There is no real cruise booked at that time. The only thing the Next Cruise does is allow you to book a future cruise at a reduced deposit and some shipboard credit. The other way is when I actually made a payment on a cruise that actually has a date and cost would be the starting date.

If I was to book insurance at the time of the Next Cruise Certificate I'll ask you as the Travel Guard rep. How do you purchase an insurance plan if you don't know how old you'll be, the date, or the cost of the trip?

What do you think?

Shak

I don't have the same confirmation form as the one shown above. There is nothing about the FCC anywhere on the confirmation. I double and triple checked.

Has anyone been denied payment of a claim because they booked using a FCC?

And about the 14 day primary insurance subject, is that something new? Our travel insurance has been secondary to our home medical insurance even if purchased the same day as we booked the cruise.

Edited by Grannycb

Alright njhorseman I have my insurance policy in hand. Under Pre-existing Medical Conditions Exclusion Waiver. 1)"The plan is purchased within 15 days of Initial Trip Payment." The definition of Initial Trip Payment "means the first payment to the Insured's Travel Supplier toward the cost of the Insured Trip. That is it.

I guess you could look at it two ways. One is the Next Cruise certificate is the first payment but payment of what. There is no real cruise booked at that time. The only thing the Next Cruise does is allow you to book a future cruise at a reduced deposit and some shipboard credit. The other way is when I actually made a payment on a cruise that actually has a date and cost would be the starting date.

If I was to book insurance at the time of the Next Cruise Certificate I'll ask you as the Travel Guard rep. How do you purchase an insurance plan if you don't know how old you'll be, the date, or the cost of the trip?

What do you think?

Shak

I can't argue whether it makes common sense or not. That's not the point. It's their policy language, approved by the insurance regulators of the states in which they do business and unless someone successfully challenges Travel Guard in court or by complaining to their state's insurance department or attorney general, Travel Guard is free to interpret it that way.

You have the option to purchase trip cancellation insurance from other companies that use different language or interpret similar language differently.

You need to keep in mind that it's likely only a small percentage of cruises are booked by people who have purchased future cruise certificates. For everyone else, Travel Guard's language has no negative consequences.

I don't have the same confirmation form as the one shown above. There is nothing about the FCC anywhere on the confirmation. I double and triple checked.

Has anyone been denied payment of a claim because they booked using a FCC?

And about the 14 day primary insurance subject, is that something new? Our travel insurance has been secondary to our home medical insurance even if purchased the same day as we booked the cruise.

Maybe you're booked with a different cruise line or through a different travel agent than the other poster. Not everyone's forms are the same.

Do you have a Travel Guard Gold policy? Their policy language and interpretation of this coverage is significantly different than that of many other insurers. Further, even if you have a Travel Guard Gold policy, the policy language when you purchased it could be different than it is today.

No one can give you a 100% accurate answer without all the facts in front of them.