Super Zoom Point & Shoots in Alaska?

I took somebody's advice in the AK board to both go to a camera shop & ask questions in this forum, so here goes:

Has anybody used a Nikon Coolpix P600? (60x zoom, wifi, extra left hand zoom)

-reviews say it's overall good but a little slow

Has anybody used a Cannon SX50HS? (50x zoom, no wifi or GPS, close screen)

-pretty good reviews, maybe faster than above

Now for the "slow" description....is this the time it takes the picture, processes the picture, or focuses on the picture? I have wanted my own picture of a whale fluke for years and now don't want to miss that!

Thank you for your help!!!

I bought my wife a SH-50 to replace her Canon SX200 which she got about 4 years ago.

Nice weight, takes good pictures. But the lens is only a f4.5 at 24mm and gets smaller as you zoom. However, it is a good all-around camera.

The Panasonic FZ200 has about the same zoom range but has a constant f2.8. Pricier but the f2,8 makes a difference at the extreme zoom if your whales are far off as you can use a faster shutter speed or if the light is low.

Having said that, the Canon is a good all-around camera for snap-shots.

If you weren't going to use the extreme

I took somebody's advice in the AK board to both go to a camera shop & ask questions in this forum, so here goes:

Has anybody used a Nikon Coolpix P600? (60x zoom, wifi, extra left hand zoom)

-reviews say it's overall good but a little slow

Now for the "slow" description....is this the time it takes the picture, processes the picture, or focuses on the picture? I have wanted my own picture of a whale fluke for years and now don't want to miss that!

Thank you for your help!!!

"Slow" can mean many things in camera-lingo.

Most technically, it often means a small aperture lens. Small aperture lenses let in less light. Since they let in less light, they require higher ISO (degrading image quality) and they require slower shutter speeds (leading to more motion blur).

I don't know what the review you are referring to was specifying, but I can say both those cameras have "slow lenses."

The P600 has a 3.3-6.5 lens. The SX50 has 3.4-6.5. When zoomed out, 3.3 isn't bad. But zooming in and getting 6.5 is pretty bad.

It won't really let you get good shots with a lot of zoom.

So both cameras have "slow" lenses.

Slow can also refer to how quickly in obtains focus. And the shutter lag.

Some reviews test the AF and shutter lag. According to Imaging-resource, on the SX50the lag is 0.4-0.5 seconds. So press the shutter button, and the image isn't capture until nearly a half-second later. That's pretty poor.

On the Nikon P600, according to CNET, which may test by different standards, the lag on the P600 was 0.3 seconds in good light, and up to 1.3 seconds in bad light.

The king of bridge cameras is probably the Sony RX10 -- It has an almost unmatched "fast" lens and shutter lag is about 0.2-0.25 seconds. So it's pretty fast under all definitions.

The PowerShot SX50 HS is equipped with Canon's latest advancement in AF technology: High Speed AF. The result of several improved technologies, High Speed AF delivers significantly faster focus speed of 0.19 seconds and a dramatically reduced shooting lag time of only 0.25 seconds, for a super-responsive shooting experience that lets you capture every great shot as it happens. The technology also powers the camera's new High-Speed Burst HQ, with continuous capture at a maximum speed of approximately 13 fps. Moreover, images captured in High-Speed Burst HQ maintain the camera's superb image quality.

The above is from the Canon site. The PS SX40 had the slower lag of 0.4 seconds. Though when shooting action shots, any lag is too much lag.

The PS SX 50 does have a action mode, but also and (maybe better), under the scenes setting it has a "high-speed burst".

Now compared to a "good" quality SLR, that probably is still "slow". But do you really want to go out a buy a camera that you won't get your money out of, that is the question. When people ask me what is the best camera.......I always tell them "The best camera is the one you are most comfortable using".

Whichever camera you bring, do practice using it and do read (or reread) the user guide. The more you know about your camera, the better images you are capable of getting.

If you haven't booked a whale watching tour yet, why not look into one of the "photo safari" tours. The photographer that leads it should give hints on how to get the "best" whale images.

Good Luck and have fun!

I have a Canon SX and a Canon DLSR. The super zoom is a great camera. It lets me get close ups and pictures that I could never get. For calving glaciers and whales the DLSR is much faster (and it lets me do multiple frames per second)

The PowerShot SX50 HS is equipped with Canon's latest advancement in AF technology: High Speed AF. The result of several improved technologies, High Speed AF delivers significantly faster focus speed of 0.19 seconds and a dramatically reduced shooting lag time of only 0.25 seconds, for a super-responsive shooting experience that lets you capture every great shot as it happens. The technology also powers the camera's new High-Speed Burst HQ, with continuous capture at a maximum speed of approximately 13 fps. Moreover, images captured in High-Speed Burst HQ maintain the camera's superb image quality.

The above is from the Canon site. The PS SX40 had the slower lag of 0.4 seconds. Though when shooting action shots, any lag is too much lag.

The PS SX 50 does have a action mode, but also and (maybe better), under the scenes setting it has a "high-speed burst".

Now compared to a "good" quality SLR, that probably is still "slow". But do you really want to go out a buy a camera that you won't get your money out of, that is the question. When people ask me what is the best camera.......I always tell them "The best camera is the one you are most comfortable using".

Whichever camera you bring, do practice using it and do read (or reread) the user guide. The more you know about your camera, the better images you are capable of getting.

If you haven't booked a whale watching tour yet, why not look into one of the "photo safari" tours. The photographer that leads it should give hints on how to get the "best" whale images.

Good Luck and have fun!

I always look for independent testing, which usually finds the camera maker claims are a bit exaggerated (or based on some crazy ideal laboratory setting).

For example, Sony claims the a6000 is the fastest focusing ILC camera on the market, at 0.06 seconds. Imaging- resource testing put it at 0.15 seconds -- very fast, but not record breaking.

Though in Canon's case -- if they are saying focus acquisition is .19 seconds PLUS another 0.25 seconds of shutter lag, the claims may be true, but that's a very slow 0.44 total.

High speed bursts and sports modes don't speed up the acquisition of the first frame.

That said, I agree with the premise that the best camera is the one you're comfortable with. As the saying goes, "the best camera is the one you have with you."

You need to enjoy actually using the camera.

Fortunately, the technology has progressed to a point where it is really an excellent time to be a photographer. There are lots of high quality options, ranging from enthusiast small sensor cameras, to mirrorless cameras with the performance of a dSLR in a small package, to a wide range of dSLR styles and capabilities.

Check out this web site, think you will find what you are looking for.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/superzoom/best_superzoom_camera.shtml

I have the panasonic FZ200 for low light long range and the Sony HX400V, used for super long range. Used my FZ200 in Alaska see pics on this forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983&page=3

and several other pages.

Tom:cool:

The only superzoom I've ever owned was a Panasonic Lumix FZ28. Not very advanced by today's standards, but I absolutely loved it at the time. Image quality and low light performance were excellent for a small sensor camera. I've read that many in the Lumix superzoom line continue to be highly regarded, they might be worth a look.

I used the Canon SX50 in Antarctica in Feb (having previously taken the SX20 and S2 there on past trips).

It performed brilliantly no matter what the temperature.

I alternated between the High Speed Burst function and Sports function when shooting whales or birds in flight and scored myself plenty of brilliant whale flukes and close up birds.

The lag after a batch of high speed burst shots was barely noticeable - much faster than the sports mode burst on the SX20.

For normal shots - icebergs, glaciers, wildlife etc - I alternated between P and M modes and always in RAW mode. No complaints at all. Came home with "only" 14,000 shots to sort through. Too many awesome ones - having a lot of trouble deleting any!

The only superzoom I've ever owned was a Panasonic Lumix FZ28. Not very advanced by today's standards, but I absolutely loved it at the time. Image quality and low light performance were excellent for a small sensor camera. I've read that many in the Lumix superzoom line continue to be highly regarded, they might be worth a look.

I have also started looking at the Lumix FZ70, which also has a 60x zoom. It looks good on reviews, except for maybe being a little bigger and heavier than the other 2!

I have the sx20 and am waiting on the sx60, coming out any time now. Reports are a 100x zoom.

Many pros are using the sx50 now as an extra camera so as to not have to carry around a bag full of heavy equipment

Google canon sx60 camera

Having previously used a Canon 2IS for 7+ years, I upgraded to the SX50 in Jan 2013. Having taken over 12000 pics with it already, I love how it works. I regularly shoot in "P" mode with having preset some of the settings to what I want. I have been playing with the "burst" mode and have it scaled back to 4 frames a second from 13 (using HQ burst with AF), gives you a longer time frame to capture. The 50x zoom and 6400 ISO were the selling points for me since I do a LOT of outdoor photography. I went away from Canon once but don't plan on doing that again.

I agree that a DSLR does much better, but not having to lug around many pounds of different lenses is more important when hiking with a camera.

Steve

Check out this web site, think you will find what you are looking for.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/superzoom/best_superzoom_camera.shtml

I have the panasonic FZ200 for low light long range and the Sony HX400V, used for super long range. Used my FZ200 in Alaska see pics on this forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983&page=3

and several other pages.

Tom:cool:

We just got our Sony HX400V and are learning/practicing as much as possible before July Alaska cruise. Brother-in-law got wonderful whale and other wildlife video footage with his HX200 last year so that influenced our decision, after considerable research. Also, a camera with a viewfinder was a must! We still have a lot to learn, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just got our Sony HX400V and are learning/practicing as much as possible before July Alaska cruise. Brother-in-law got wonderful whale and other wildlife video footage with his HX200 last year so that influenced our decision, after considerable research. Also, a camera with a viewfinder was a must! We still have a lot to learn, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are on the correct path. Play with it as much as possible. It is digital so no film costs. And agree about the viewfinder. I find it also funny to watch people holding their camera out at arms length trying to take a picture.

I've tried several point and shoot major zoom cameras for travel. My favorite is the Panasonic FZ200. It's easy to carry and produces great photos. I feel that a travel zoom must be quick to set up and use in a hurry or you will miss the important shots. It is easy to get inundated with the technical pros and cons of cameras. The best camera is the one that gets used and gets the shot before the opportunity is gone.

I just returned from a spring trip to Yellowstone and got some superb photos of grizzlies and wolves with my FZ200.

I've tried several point and shoot major zoom cameras for travel. My favorite is the Panasonic FZ200. It's easy to carry and produces great photos. I feel that a travel zoom must be quick to set up and use in a hurry or you will miss the important shots. It is easy to get inundated with the technical pros and cons of cameras. The best camera is the one that gets used and gets the shot before the opportunity is gone.

I just returned from a spring trip to Yellowstone and got some superb photos of grizzlies and wolves with my FZ200.

Sounds like you had a good trip to Yellowstone. When we went there, I had just got the Canon 2IS with a 12x zoom. Agree with needs to be quick to use and remember one time where we got to a corner in Yellowstone and a car had just pulled off the road across from us. We saw a Cinnamon (black) bear walking into the sage brush. I pulled out the camera, turned it on and took a dozen shots. The guy in the other car, got out, pulled a tripod out of the trunk, attached a camera, and I don't think he got off a single shot. So much for easy to use :)

Steve

Sounds like you had a good trip to Yellowstone. When we went there, I had just got the Canon 2IS with a 12x zoom. Agree with needs to be quick to use and remember one time where we got to a corner in Yellowstone and a car had just pulled off the road across from us. We saw a Cinnamon (black) bear walking into the sage brush. I pulled out the camera, turned it on and took a dozen shots. The guy in the other car, got out, pulled a tripod out of the trunk, attached a camera, and I don't think he got off a single shot. So much for easy to use :)

Steve

Yeah, but that was just poor planning on his part... Shooting wildlife with a tripod works great and lets you use the big guns, but requires slow-motion sort of scenes. Road scenes like that just call for getting the camera off the seat next to you, bracing it on window or door or a handy tree trunk, and taking the shots handheld just like your superzoom.

Jim

Road scenes like that just call for getting the camera off the seat next to you, bracing it on window or door or a handy tree trunk, and taking the shots handheld just like your superzoom.

Exactly. It's all about learning how to handle the camera.

My wife spotted this friendly new neighbour in the water retention pond behind our house. I scrambled for the camera and she called the dept. of fish and wildlife to report it.

(taken with a Nikon D300 and 70-200/2.8)

3440524568_1d04b7d10a_z.jpg

And having a camera, any camera is often more important to getting a shot than anything else. I keep a camera closeby even at home because just as in the case of the bear, the area I live in has lots of wildlife viewing (and thus photographic) opportunities.

(taken with a Nikon D300 and 70-200/2.8)

4312628332_089ce6cf8c_z.jpg

(taken with a Nikon D800E and 70-200/2.8)

8167618212_ff4869277c_z.jpg

Somewhat sadly, the field next to my house where those above pictures were taken has started to be developed for further expansion of my neighbourhood so some of that wildlife viewing will be curtailed in the future.

(taken with a Nikon D800E and 24-70/2.8)

9442202896_89b898ab27_z.jpg

Edited by WintrHawk

I have also started looking at the Lumix FZ70, which also has a 60x zoom. It looks good on reviews, except for maybe being a little bigger and heavier than the other 2!

I just replaced a well used FZ18 with the FZ70. (I really wanted a FZ200 but wouldn't pay the extra). Although a bit heavier than the FZ18, it is a fantastic camera for my uses. The FZ 18's first trip was the Rocky Mountaineer Circle tour of British Columbia and Alberta. The first trip for my new FZ70 will be the Norwegian fjords!

Thank you all for the responses, links, and pictures! I have purchased the Lumix FZ70 and have spent the last few days getting acquainted. I have a lot to learn, but so far, I am so happy with the pictures I'm getting! Today I am calling a camera shop to set up my class so that I can get more out of this before our trip in August!

Thank you all for the responses, links, and pictures! I have purchased the Lumix FZ70 and have spent the last few days getting acquainted. I have a lot to learn, but so far, I am so happy with the pictures I'm getting! Today I am calling a camera shop to set up my class so that I can get more out of this before our trip in August!

I had an FZ18 for years and it was great. The FZ70 is much better, I believe, and I love the extended zoom! (I wished for the FZ200, but the price never came down to my level) I highly recommend a tripod, small or large to assist with the zoom use. Wishing you many wonderful pictures in Alaska and beyond.