Coffee on MSC

janny444

I'm still debating whether to have the AI package. We are not big alcoholic drinkers but do enjoy our coffee. How bad is the standard coffee...is it acceptable... and more to the point..how good is the coffee with the AI package.:)

janny, I'm a big coffee drinker while at home and do enjoy a good cup of coffee while at sea. I can tell you, the standard coffee aboard Divina was better than what I usually drink at home. I also love a cafe mocha from Starbucks and so I decided to try MSC's version,,, unbelievable!!!

MSC uses Segafredo brand coffee, and it is fantastic. If only I can find it in a K-cup now....;)

• Like 1

I drink coffee every day but just the regular type.

You will be in heaven if you like it strong.

The staff is great and used to American wienies like myself. I either ask them to put half hot water in the cup or bring me a pot of hot water...like they do for tea.....and ad it myself.

They never make me feel bad for doing that.

Hi Mikesa1721...is the segafredo coffee included in the cruise fare and available in the buffet or is it part of the AI package

Janny, Segafredo is used throughout the ship, base cruise fare or all inclusive. Specialty coffee drinks are available for an additional fee but are included with the AI package.

OK...sounds like we don't need to do the AI to get a good cup of coffee unless of course we want latte etc...thank you for the info

The operation on Divina currently operating out of Miami for the U.S. market appears very different and the comments above very misleading. The only 'coffee' included in the base fare across the rest of the fleet is at breakfast time in the MDR and at a self-service station at the entrance to the buffet, 24 hrs.

All coffees in the bars are extra charge and none is available at any price in the MDRs at lunch or dinner. Italians don't have coffee at the dinner table and neither does MSC, except on the Divina. If they have it on the Opera sailing out of Southampton for the UK market, I will find out tomorrow as I will be aboard.

I say 'coffee' because it does not taste remotely like there is any coffee in it. Even if on Allegrissimo, I would and do still take a jar of instant coffee with me to improve breakfast in the MDR.

On Allegrissimo, you tend to find yourself constantly changing venues to get the best overall experience. Breakfast is the most complicated where one can have freshly squeezed orange juice at just one bar on the pool deck (or canned/bottled juices at the other open bars) along with the full range of speciality coffees. The best breakfast service is obviously going to be in the MDR many decks below but without real coffee or juices.

Breakfast: juice at the pool bar, breakfast in the MDR, coffee at any open bar.

Dinner: cocktail in a bar, dinner in the MDR, coffee at a bar, more drinks at another.

The flavoured sugar water served at breakfast in the MDR is as bad as the 'coffee'. CC member Amomondo and I believe what she calls the 'tomato juice' is the least bad while I agree I call it 'red grapefruit juice'. It really doesn't taste like either.

Either way, the terrible free 'coffees' and 'juices' should be enough to convince you of the value of Allegrissimo. If you have the free 'coffee' at breakfast you will need to wash your mouth out afterwards with paid-for coffee at a bar. If you want coffee after lunch or dinner, you can help yourself to the fake stuff in a plastic beaker at the 24 hrs drinks station in the buffet, or pay for a superb speciality coffee at a bar.

Allegrissimo is the way to go! A juice, two coffees, a glass of wine with dinner, and an ice cream or beer per day and you have already paid for Allegrissimo. With Allegrissimo,you could also permit yourself the occasional cocktail, ice cream, smoothie or milkshake too.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Thank you Skipper Tim...that is the info that I wanted....the actual quality of the "free" coffee and how you have put it we would be "silly" not to have the Allegrissimo package.

The specialty coffees...from what you say....are very acceptable. Also ...like you....we may take a jar of our own coffee to have in the MDR and just order hot water....I presume that is ok to do.

Once more I find myself agreeing with Tim, the free stuff on ships other than the Divina is dire and in my opinion, undrinkable. It is not really available anyway except at the 24 hour drinks stations in the buffet and at breakfast. The stuff you pay for is very good. Love the cappuccino, espresso and lattes. Don't think it's dégagé do outwith the US either. Think it might be Illy, but not certain.

The operation on Divina currently operating out of Miami for the U.S. market appears very different and the comments above very misleading. The only 'coffee' included in the base fare across the rest of the fleet is at breakfast time in the MDR and at a self-service station at the entrance to the buffet, 24 hrs.

All coffees in the bars are extra charge and none is available at any price in the MDRs at lunch or dinner. Italians don't have coffee at the dinner table and neither does MSC, except on the Divina. If they have it on the Opera sailing out of Southampton for the UK market, I will find out tomorrow as I will be aboard.

I say 'coffee' because it does not taste remotely like there is any coffee in it. Even if on Allegrissimo, I would and do still take a jar of instant coffee with me to improve breakfast in the MDR.

On Allegrissimo, you tend to find yourself constantly changing venues to get the

best overall experience. Breakfast is the most complicated where one can have freshly squeezed orange juice at just one bar on the pool deck (or canned/bottled juices at the other open bars) along with the full range of speciality coffees. The best breakfast service is obviously going to be in the MDR many decks below but without real coffee or juices.

Breakfast: juice at the pool bar, breakfast in the MDR, coffee at any open bar.

Dinner: cocktail in a bar, dinner in the MDR, coffee at a bar, more drinks at another.

The flavoured sugar water served at breakfast in the MDR is as bad as the 'coffee'. CC member Amomondo and I believe what she calls the 'tomato juice' is the least bad while I agree I call it 'red grapefruit juice'. It really doesn't taste like either.

Either way, the terrible free 'coffees' and 'juices' should be enough to convince you of the value of Allegrissimo. If you have the free 'coffee' at breakfast you will need to wash your mouth out afterwards with paid-for coffee at a bar. If you want coffee after lunch or dinner, you can help yourself to the fake stuff in a plastic beaker at the 24 hrs drinks station in the buffet, or pay for a superb speciality coffee at a bar.

Allegrissimo is the way to go! A juice, two coffees, a glass of wine with dinner, and an ice cream or beer per day and you have already paid for Allegrissimo. With Allegrissimo,you could also permit yourself the occasional cocktail, ice cream, smoothie or milkshake too.

Is there a difference between MSC UK and MSC USA? According to MSC's Facebook page, Segafredo coffee is available across the entire fleet? Am I misunderstanding something here?https://www.facebook.com/MSC.Cruises.USA/photos/a.148766134891.115075.78132244891/10152477993554892/?type=1&theater

Is there a difference between MSC UK and MSC USA? According to MSC's Facebook page, Segafredo coffee is available across the entire fleet? Am I misunderstanding something here?https://www.facebook.com/MSC.Cruises.USA/photos/a.148766134891.115075.78132244891/10152477993554892/?type=1&theater

It's. It a case of MDC USA bs MSC UK in this scenario but Divina versus 11 other ships who do not operate like the Divina in many ways including when and how often coffee is served. I can't tell you what make the free stuff is as I don't touch it anymore, it was so dire. The bought stuff is excellent though.

Once more I find myself agreeing with Tim, the free stuff on ships other than the Divina is dire and in my opinion, undrinkable. It is not really available anyway except at the 24 hour drinks stations in the buffet and at breakfast. The stuff you pay for is very good. Love the cappuccino, espresso and lattes. Don't think it's dégagé do outwith the US either. Think it might be Illy, but not certain.

I agree, the coffee one has to pay for is very good. They have good Italian espresso makers and Segafredo is a good Italian brand. I didn't notice much of a difference compared to the espresso they used before though.

The included coffee from the drink stations is made from syrup and that's how it tastes. Depending on the ship, we found it to rage from completely undrinkable to somewhat bearable.

With regards to coffee on the Mediterranean based ships, is it the same terminology as I'm used to? ie, if I ask for a cappuccino I'll be given a milk based coffee (of around 200ml) with one shot of espresso and the froth? I love a good cappuccino after my elixir of life (aka morning cup of tea).

With regards to coffee on the Mediterranean based ships, is it the same terminology as I'm used to? ie, if I ask for a cappuccino I'll be given a milk based coffee (of around 200ml) with one shot of espresso and the froth? I love a good cappuccino after my elixir of life (aka morning cup of tea).

Yes they do cappucino. It cost around €2. You may also want to try the amaretto cappucino - it's lovely and it is not amaretto flavoured syrup but the real Mcoy (or rather a shot of the real Desaronni)

Mmmmmm....sounds good!

My enduring memory of coffee in Italy was that it was undrinkable. But I wasn't a coffee drinker back then, plus I was young and severely jet lagged. I wasn't a very good traveller for a few days there! :D

I remember bursting into tears at our hotel in Rome because it didn't have a kettle in our room and I couldn't get a decent cup of tea. My poor husband had no idea what to do! Then we spent a week in England visiting family and I drank enough tea for a lifetime! I was quite over it by the time we left Manchester!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

Mmmmmm....sounds good!

My enduring memory of coffee in Italy was that it was undrinkable. But I wasn't a coffee drinker back then, plus I was young and severely jet lagged. I wasn't a very good traveller for a few days there! :D

I remember bursting into tears at our hotel in Rome because it didn't have a kettle in our room and I couldn't get a decent cup of tea. My poor husband had no idea what to do! Then we spent a week in England visiting family and I drank enough tea for a lifetime! I was quite over it by the time we left Manchester!

Lol!

Yip, still don't do kettles in hotel rooms in Italy or Spain or France either.

My poor husband went out to a street market and proudly came back with a small pot which he used to boil water on the provided hot plate. We carted that pot through Italy, France, England and all the way back to NZ!

I am very ashamed of behaviour but in my defense, my poor husband is the only one who bore the brunt of it. I would never have dreamed of having a paddy at the wait staff or hotel!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

Lol!

Yip, still don't do kettles in hotel rooms in Italy or Spain or France either.

Kettle in my room at Hotel Selene in Rome in Jan. and Albergo Caesari coming up in Oct. in Rome. Probably unusual. But noted in description online.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Kettle in my room at Hotel Selene in Rome in Jan. and Albergo Caesari coming up in Oct. in Rome. Probably unusual. But noted in description online.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Our room at the Mestre Novotel had one as well, along with tea bags and instant coffee.

Guess mainland Europe's hotels are gradually adapting to suit some overseas travellers who want tea or coffee in their room. Still didn't have one at the weekend at a Melia in Alicante but did have a nespresso machine. Had one of those in a hilton in Dubai recently too.

The two most common complaints from Brits in hotel reviews I read are about the lack of a kettle and the food being foreign :)

I understand why two thirds of the World plays cricket and drinks tea - because the British imposed these 'essentials' without thinking.

• 8 years later...

It really amazes me how from time to time those very old threads resurrects freshly to reavive our fond memories of our own cruising history!... Yeah! The Allegrissimo was perhaps the best value AI packages both at sea or at any AI resort one could find elsewhere in the world. Sadly it ended up out of both renting opportunities on the newer ships and of the abusers... Wonderful while it lasted!...

Back to MSC's coffee just back before the pandemic: Regular Coffee ranged from Segafredo to Lavazza automated machines depending on ship. Mostly OK, sometimes odd. Specialty coffees are usually great and well-priced for the venue's quality; trademarks would vary from region to region. Segafredo in most EU sailings, Lavazza Blue on the UAE, Santista, a Brazilian trademark on Brazil. Out of the rented spaces; Venchi uses great coffee, but I have never had Jean-Phillipe.

In conclusion: MSC has generally OK regular coffee, and superb specialty upcharge one. As a coffee "buff" myself, I'm grateful for it. And as a regular MSC cruiser, it feels like their coffee drinks do have some "soul" to themselves like pretty much every mocktail/cocktail they serve at any of their bars.

Pro tip: In every ship they have at least a small bar, usually round the atrium area, where you can order pretty much every specialty coffee drink you may imagine, even those most "exquisite" concoctions, inside your drinks package! Obviously those locations are sort of "hidden" on the newer ships with the specialty renting coffee vendors.