Holland is a Country, Holland America is a Cruise Line............

IRL_Joanie

I wonder how many newbies are sitting out there now' date=' even more afraid to post than ever, onto this oh-so-particular internet forum.[/quote']

Well, I'm just guessing here, and I could be wrong (although I'm not usually :D) but I would think the newbies are off searching for information about ports, what to wear in the MDR and on tipping practices. When I was a newbie I didn't concern myself too much with anything not germaine to my all important and vastly exciting First Cruise(!!).

I think this thread has turned rather playful, and mildly amusing so I would hope it doesn't scare any newbies away.

We used to have marks deducted for spelling errors regardless of the exam subject---even Math. At the time I thought it was mean and unfair but now am so grateful.

We did, too, and we didn't like it any more than you did. But we did learn to speak and write using correct language and grammar.

I had the good fortune to have a mother who stressed diction, and a school that had us stand and speak---and correct us as needed. We were taught to hear the difference in some of the words that have been posted in this thread (e.g. then/than, wonder/wander, mute/moot). We learned to appreciate the nuances of the English language, and that what we said, and how we said it, does make a difference.

As my college math professor used to say: "I know what you meant, and I know what you said---and they aren't the same thing".

It's a shame that language has gotten as casual as the rest of or lives.

But in a context in which some CCers will actually type "vacay" and publish it to the world without embarrassment, I agree there's no point making a fuss about this.

One would hope not. Vacay made into the Oxford University Press Dictionary quite a while ago.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/vacay

Whilst some may find the word to be annoying, and I count myself among their number, you cannot fault someone for using the word. Mrs. Grundy*, the discomfiture is all yours. ;)

*"Speed The Plough", Thomas Morton, 1798. (I didn't want to go all cray-cray and use the 16th century term prig.) :eek:

Although, at least in the context of HAL we don't have to translate that. It really irks me when someone feels the need to use a cutesy name for something and then parenthetically say what most of us call it. Example: frappe (milk shake) - every time the word "frappe" was used. It's a milkshake! Call it a milkshake!

While a frappé may mean milkshake in New England, elsewhere it can be an iced coffee (not necessarily made with ice cream). ;)

Edited by Boytjie

I have been guilty of that one. Sorry!

Although, at least in the context of HAL we don't have to translate that. It really irks me when someone feels the need to use a cutesy name for something and then parenthetically say what most of us call it. Example: frappe (milk shake) - every time the word "frappe" was used. It's a milkshake! Call it a milkshake!

My frappe coffee is certainly not a milkshake:cool:. Frappe usually means iced or with ice. I love iced coffee but hate milkshakes:eek:

It's a shame that language has gotten as casual as the rest of or lives.

It's inevitable that language will evolve. I was taught never to start a sentence with And or But, but pick up any current magazine and you will find both used repeatedly. I asked my daughter, who is the executive editor of a WDC association monthly newspaper, and she said both are acceptable now.

Or we had really good English teachers and what we learned has stayed with us. Thank you, Miss Benz, wherever you are!

But you guys still don't spell in English eg saviour, you don't use the U :D:D

I want to say thank you to everyone who posted on this post and brought a great deal of humor into my day.

Joanie - When you opened this thread, it may not have been your intention for it to take the direction that it did. However, I, myself am thrilled ;) that it did.

POA1 - Thank you for your quick wit and totally off-the-wall sense of humor, as well as your wealth of obscure information and the ability to put a unique twist on it.

And to all the rest of you - thank you all for completely eliminating any form of malice or contempt from the thread. It has been a immensely entertaining thread and I greatly appreciate it.:D

Okie

Edited by Okie1946