Holland is a Country, Holland America is a Cruise Line............

IRL_Joanie

To make easy matters even more complicated; the province Friesland (Fryslân) in The Netherlands claims to be quite different from the "Hollanders". :D

See this hilarious explanation (in English): Fascinating Friesland in five minutes

I think it's great to live in Friesland :)

Excellent! So much learning in one day. My new favorite word is Pompeblêd.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! (Hand raised.) I can answer that one! But, since reading is so 20th century, let's watch a short film, shall we?

This is completely work safe and contains large, succulent, meaty chunks of learning.

POA1 -- thanks! that You Tube was interesting & fun!

(I was a history major, esp. British history);)

As a proud citizen of Holland, I don't mind the free promotion of our country at all :D

For us the name and origin of the Holland America Line is something special. Remembers us of the day that the headquarters were still in this beatifull building here in Rotterdam., which today houses a hotel called "Hotel New York".

Brings back fond memories of our cruise on the Rotterdam (VI) which made an unprecedented 2 day port call at Rotterdam in 1998 and docked right next to the Hotel New York where we stayed for a few nights before boarding the brand new ship. Fireworks, the Queen, lots of festivities and all with our cruise mates Rikka and Piet (from Rotterdam). The only interruptions to the good times were when Piet (and I) had to check on the World Cup matches during the ceremonies and the subsequent Baltic cruise. (Brazil defeated Netherlands by a penalty kick tiebfreaker in the group stage final).

The HAL boards on Cruise Critic were loaded with a wide variety of discussions, some very emotional, about the retirement of the HAL flagship, the Rotterdam V, and its replacement.

The SS Rotterdam (Rotterdam V) was sold to Premier Cruise Lines and sailed as the Rembrandt for a few years. Following Premier's bankruptcy, the ship is now permanently docked near the Hotel New York and is operating as a hotel and restaurant.

And my oldest child was born in " the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantation," but he claims to be from Iowa......often confused with Ohio or Idaho!

And I grew up in Niagara Falls....the one in NY, not in Canada.....there are a lot of easy confusions in our great country!

Barbara M. In NH

Edited by Avery's Gram

And my oldest child was born in " the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations' date='" ...[/quote']

The smallest state, but the one with the longest name.

We don't mind that no one says it right. ;)

I admit to sometimes using Holland instead of HAL. If I am addressing someone new to the boards or it is an open board (such as Alaska) I will do this to avoid confusion. You are right that Holland America is the proper usage, but that just seems too long, especially if you use it several times in the message.

DaveOKC or should I say DaveOklahomaCity?

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! (Hand raised.) I can answer that one! But, since reading is so 20th century, let's watch a short film, shall we?

This is completely work safe and contains large, succulent, meaty chunks of learning.

Your posts are great.

Thanks for another really good one. ":)

Brings back fond memories of our cruise on the Rotterdam (VI) which made an unprecedented 2 day port call at Rotterdam in 1998 and docked right next to the Hotel New York where we stayed for a few nights before boarding the brand new ship. Fireworks, the Queen, lots of festivities and all with our cruise mates Rikka and Piet (from Rotterdam). The only interruptions to the good times were when Piet (and I) had to check on the World Cup matches during the ceremonies and the subsequent Baltic cruise. (Brazil defeated Netherlands by a penalty kick tiebfreaker in the group stage final).

The HAL boards on Cruise Critic were loaded with a wide variety of discussions, some very emotional, about the retirement of the HAL flagship, the Rotterdam V, and its replacement.

The SS Rotterdam (Rotterdam V) was sold to Premier Cruise Lines and sailed as the Rembrandt for a few years. Following Premier's bankruptcy, the ship is now permanently docked near the Hotel New York and is operating as a hotel and restaurant.

We were also on that cruise.

Remember how late everyone disembarked? They had trouble handling all of the luggage ashore.

We were on so late Maitre d' Wawan invited us to enjoy lunch in Lido. They had put out a very special spread for visitors who were waiting to board.

We stayed a few nights in Rotterdam and enjoyed the fireworks shot off in celebration that night. :)

The ice carving of the HAL Rotterdam headquarters building was amazing.

They made a design of the HAL Logo in what was then a small splash pool for little children. It was done completely from dyed grains of rice in blue and white. Fabulous.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you POA1 and PeetNL. :D

Sometimes, without meaning to, we refer to a people or country in a way that they may consider insulting. It always helps to add humour to an explanation.

Edited by Divi

I've been thinking of posting this for awhile but never did as it seems such a teeny thing to complain about, but..........

It really irks me to see people, newbies and not so new to Cruise Critic refer to Holland America Line as "Holland."

People, Holland is a COUNTRY!! It is not a Cruise Line.

Holland America Line is a Cruise Line NOT a Country.

Many, many of us refer to the cruise line as HAL or even HA, the abbreviation(s) of Holland America Line, and that is OK, as far as I can say, but PLEASE do not use the Country of Holland as the name of the Cruise Line itself...

This may be overblown on my part but I felt the need to put it out there.

Off my soap Box and on to what really matters, Looking/reading all the good things that I can do on the ships of Holland America Line:)

JOanie

And the White House is a building, not a person, but we hear all the time in the news that "The White House said today......" Buckingham Palace is where the Queen lives, it can't talk either, but how often have we heard on the news that "Buckingham Palace announced that......" Seriously, people use shorthand like this all the time, and I marvel that something like this could be an annoyance to someone. Now, there are 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I've been thinking of posting this for awhile but never did as it seems such a teeny thing to complain about, but..........

It really irks me to see people, newbies and not so new to Cruise Critic refer to Holland America Line as "Holland."

People, Holland is a COUNTRY!! It is not a Cruise Line.

Holland America Line is a Cruise Line NOT a Country.

Many, many of us refer to the cruise line as HAL or even HA, the abbreviation(s) of Holland America Line, and that is OK, as far as I can say, but PLEASE do not use the Country of Holland as the name of the Cruise Line itself...

This may be overblown on my part but I felt the need to put it out there.

Off my soap Box and on to what really matters, Looking/reading all the good things that I can do on the ships of Holland America Line:)

JOanie

How very welcoming of you..... as a relative newcomer to this forum I do use the word "Holland" as a short form for Holland America. Please do excuse my ignorance. Believe it or not, there's much more in life to fret over.

And the White House is a building, not a person, but we hear all the time in the news that "The White House said today......" Buckingham Palace is where the Queen lives, it can't talk either, but how often have we heard on the news that "Buckingham Palace announced that......" Seriously, people use shorthand like this all the time, and I marvel that something like this could be an annoyance to someone. Now, there are 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

"LIKE" button needed here.

Whether I'm in the dinning room, or in my cabin talking to my room stewart about my relaxing days on Holland, personally I could care less how people pronounce the name of the cruise line..............

LOVE this!! ROFLOL!!

How very welcoming of you..... as a relative newcomer to this forum I do use the word "Holland" as a short form for Holland America. Please do excuse my ignorance. Believe it or not' date=' there's much more in life to fret over.[/quote']

OMG, PEOPLE, THERE MUST BE SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE THAN THIS!! how silly!!

OMG, PEOPLE, THERE MUST BE SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE THAN THIS!! how silly!!

Nope. This is the pretty much the apex of all knowledge. If you had watched the films you would have achieved enlightenment. Without enlightenment, what do you have?

The dark ages, that's what! :eek:

I have but one thing to say:

Pompeblêd. :)

P. S. It's really more absurd than silly.

Edited by POA1

The ice carving of the HAL Rotterdam headquarters building was amazing.

They made a design of the HAL Logo in what was then a small splash pool for little children. It was done completely from dyed grains of rice in blue and white. Fabulous.

Wow! How could I have forgotten? That ice carving was so accurate we were able to identify the room in which we stayed.

That was a truly great experience.

I feel it is extremely important at this time to point out that Canada Dry is a ginger ale and NOT a country*.

Off my soap box now

Thank you

* One that will hopefully have ZERO teams remaining in the Stanley Cup playoffs after tonight.....GO RANGERS

well since we are airing our dislikes I have one.

There, Their and They're.

The first one belongs with "over there"

The second "it belongs to them"

The third is completely different "they are"

End of English lesson.

well since we are airing our dislikes I have one.

There, Their and They're.

The first one belongs with "over there"

The second "it belongs to them"

The third is completely different "they are"

End of English lesson.

Continuation of lesson...

1) Your and You're

The first is possessive - it belongs to you.

The second is the contraction of "you are".

2) Then and Than

The first is a sequential word as in "First we did this, THEN we did that."

The second is instead of as in "I would rather have this THAN that."

3) Could/Should/Would have (or 've)

The word is HAVE with a contraction of 've. It is not could/should/would of.

4) Wonder and Wander

The first is to think about something, to ponder.

The second is to walk about aimlessly.

5) Mute and Moot

The first is to dampen sound.

The second is a point which really doesn't matter anymore.

And for the love of all things holy, 's is NOT the way to pluralize something. You don't get "book's" from the library. You get "books" from the library.

:)

And for the love of all things holy, 's is NOT the way to pluralize something. You don't get "book's" from the library. You get "books" from the library.

Yes!! Plural vs. possessive.

I have seen this one way too often and for some reason, it really rubs me the wrong way.

1) Your and You're

The first is possessive - it belongs to you.

The second is the contraction of "you are".

2) Then and Than

The first is a sequential word as in "First we did this, THEN we did that."

The second is instead of as in "I would rather have this THAN that."

3) Could/Should/Would have (or 've)

The word is HAVE with a contraction of 've. It is not could/should/would of.

4) Wonder and Wander

The first is to think about something, to ponder.

The second is to walk about aimlessly.

5) Mute and Moot

I think I like you. :D. We share the same annoyances.

5) Mute and Moot

Moot means open to debate. A moot point, however, is one that is academic, or of little practical value.

And for the love of all things holy, 's is NOT the way to pluralize something. You don't get "book's" from the library. You get "books" from the library. :)

DO use the apostrophe to form the plural of an abbreviation that combines upper and lowercase letters or has interior periods:

The Department of Cheer graduated five M.A.’s and two Ph.D.’s this year.

NOTE: If you leave out the periods, you can write MAs but you’d still have to write PhD’s.

DO use the apostrophe to form the plural of lowercase letters:

Mind your p’s and q’s.

Confession: I often type 1980's (possessive of 1980) when I should be typing 1980s. The Android spell checker on my phone corrects it improperly and sometimes the robots win. It's agnostic on '80s (correct in context) versus 80s though.