Slow Sea Princess

Would have thought they might have taken more time in Singapore to do a reasonable fix unless there is more wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree.

As far as I know it did not go to dry dock. Passengers remained on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I guess the good news will be that when it is fixed there should be no more changed itineraries etc. The original plan was for a three day fix in October I guess it depends on if this current situation is the same problem or something else as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I guess the good news will be that when it is fixed there should be no more changed itineraries etc. The original plan was for a three day fix in October I guess it depends on if this current situation is the same problem or something else as well.

The newspaper report said they found something else while doing repairs that made them cancel the cruise. Let's hope it gets 'fixed' properly this time. We're on it next Feb!!! :D:cool:

Oh no a first time poster got it right. Should I say sorry?

No I don't work for Carnival but I do work in the travel industry so I weighed into an area I know just a little about. Seemed to me that Princess was getting a bad rap from some that didn't have all the facts. Happy to clear that up for you

Have a nice cruise, cruisers

I don't see that it was right.

They're not issuing refunds for upcoming cruises, just the one they have cancelled.

And given that cruise is cancelled, there was no alternative. Or do you believe they could have just not refunded given the cruise was now completely cancelled.

So the fact they've refunded for something they've now completely cancelled doesn't change the previous situation.

I spoke to my travel agent today who spoke to Princess. The info she received was that at this stage we should be right for our cruise. She said that Princess would be providing more definitive info in the next week. Keep your fingers, toes and everything else crossed. Yes, the ship will sail empty to Sydney.

I spoke to my travel agent today who spoke to Princess. The info she received was that at this stage we should be right for our cruise. She said that Princess would be providing more definitive info in the next week. Keep your fingers, toes and everything else crossed. Yes, the ship will sail empty to Sydney.

Yes everything crossed for you.:D

I don't see that it was right.

They're not issuing refunds for upcoming cruises, just the one they have cancelled.

And given that cruise is cancelled, there was no alternative. Or do you believe they could have just not refunded given the cruise was now completely cancelled.

So the fact they've refunded for something they've now completely cancelled doesn't change the previous situation.

Yes. You are right. They have no choice and must refund as they've withdrawn "the product" that was purchased. So not "heroes" after all.

Yes. You are right. They have no choice and must refund as they've withdrawn "the product" that was purchased. So not "heroes" after all.

Dear stakeholder

The full refunds were being offered to people prior to departure, as you weren't traveling, you weren't made aware of it. People on now cancelled cruise get full refund + future cruise credit + flying them home. I think that's great So Princess has gone above and beyond for all affected cruisers.

Naturally they aren't in the business of disappointing their loyal cruisers and will try and exhaust all avenues before canceling a cruise and who could blame them. People on this thread are already communicating they don't want their cruise to be cancelled. I can only think that it was the same story for this departure as well.

Let's hope it's all sorted shortly and never happens again.

From FB - from the horse's mouth.

As you know, Sea Princess experienced a technical difficulty with the ship's crank shaft earlier this year which resulted in our inability to operate at full speed but never posed a safety concern. As the repair was being carried out in Fremantle on 9/13, an additional technical issue with the propeller shaft bearing was identified. As the safety of our guests and crew is always our absolute priority, we have determined that the technical issues must be addressed immediately. The current voyage has been cancelled, and once all guests have disembarked Sea Princess will make its way to Sydney for repairs. At this time we are hopeful that your client's voyage will operate as scheduled; however, this ultimately depends upon the repair schedule. We will be certain to keep you informed of any changes as updates become available.

Princess have stated that the technical problems meant the cruise had to be cancelled. It is better to do this when they are in port, rather than have serious problems when they are at sea with a shipload of passengers and crew.

I think Princess responded very generously. They have given a full refund + a future cruise + air fare reimbursement.

I have spoken to people who missed out on the Sun Princess cruise from Singapore that had to be cancelled on the day of sailing. Yes - they were disappointed at the time, but they were very happy about getting a free cruise in addition to a full refund for the cancelled cruise.

Dear stakeholder

The full refunds were being offered to people prior to departure, as you weren't traveling, you weren't made aware of it. People on now cancelled cruise get full refund + future cruise credit + flying them home. I think that's great So Princess has gone above and beyond for all affected cruisers.

Naturally they aren't in the business of disappointing their loyal cruisers and will try and exhaust all avenues before canceling a cruise and who could blame them. People on this thread are already communicating they don't want their cruise to be cancelled. I can only think that it was the same story for this departure as well.

Let's hope it's all sorted shortly and never happens again.

Princess were not offering refunds people had to grovel and beg to get a refund. I was advised by princess that they were doing us a favour by refunding us the cruise fare we lost airfare! At the time we cancelled they were still adverting the original itinerary and selling it they handled the whole situation like a b grade company.

So does that mean that now that they have cancelled the cruise u can claim your airfares on travel insurance but prior to them canceling you couldn't?

I'm sorry to hear you had to beg. I guess all I can say is talk with your feet if you're completely unhappy with their service

If the Sea Princess is sailing without pax from Freo to Sydney I am guessing the crew (or at least some) will be getting a bonus "holiday".

I wonder if they will be paid ?

They will be paid because they are all on contract. Just as well the stewards and waiters aren't relying on tips to make up their wages. :)

I am sure the Hotel Director (or whoever) will find work for them - maybe very intensive cleaning or even helping refurbish some areas.

So does that mean that now that they have cancelled the cruise u can claim your airfares on travel insurance but prior to them canceling you couldn't?

I'm sorry to hear you had to beg. I guess all I can say is talk with your feet if you're completely unhappy with their service

I imagine you are referring to the cruise Princess cancelled.

Bizziecruzer is referring to all the cruises that they kept selling, despite them knowing that they could not maintain their itinerary well in advance and needed significant changes. They then altered the cruise itinerary one week prior to sailing and offered $100 OBC, instead of full refunds for those who wanted cancel. A lot of people wanted to cancel as the cruise was no longer what they booked but couldn't without losing all their money.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

Dear stakeholder

Err, no.

They've at last done the right thing for cruisers who they have cancelled the cruise on.

This thread was started much before Princess offered any refunds, about cruisers who were affected by the situation. And as it stands, there are still many more customers still affected by this issue, yet who are not being offered anything.

The latest change only addresses cruisers who they've been forced to cancel on. It doesn't address any other cruisers, some of whom wanted refunds, affected by the current issues on that ship.

If the Sea Princess is sailing without pax from Freo to Sydney I am guessing the crew (or at least some) will be getting a bonus "holiday".

I wonder if they will be paid ?

In similar situations in the past, the crew usually stay onboard (although those starting/ending contracts may have changes) but are called on to assist with other duties. They use it as a catch-up opportunity for other tasks that have been waiting.