Formal Night Menus?

mjlace

We are considering skipping the formal nights on our upcoming Baltic cruise on the Eclipse. Are there special menus those evenings that we may regret missing? (There will be three formal nights on our cruise.) Are there any other reasons to choose to dress up?

We've cruised on Celebrity only once before, over five years ago, and don't remember enough to help our decision. We'll be doing a "land cruise" prior to getting on the ship and really are limited to one suitcase each this trip so leaving extra clothes/shoes behind may help.

We won't be trying to enter the dining rooms if we don't bring formal wear so no need to address that. Many thanks for your input.............mj

On our recent cruise, the 2nd formal evening was "lobster night". I'm a vegetarian but my husband likes lobster and he and the other 4 at our table said it was ok but nothing spectacular. None of them thought the lobsters were fresh. Celebrity does very well with most of the vegetarian dishes.

We are considering skipping the formal nights on our upcoming Baltic cruise on the Eclipse. Are there special menus those evenings that we may regret missing? (There will be three formal nights on our cruise.) Are there any other reasons to choose to dress up?

We've cruised on Celebrity only once before, over five years ago, and don't remember enough to help our decision. We'll be doing a "land cruise" prior to getting on the ship and really are limited to one suitcase each this trip so leaving extra clothes/shoes behind may help.

We won't be trying to enter the dining rooms if we don't bring formal wear so no need to address that. Many thanks for your input.............mj

If you wish, you may have the MDR menu delivered to your room during regular dining room hours. This is available to all categories of cabin but is particularly nice if you have a veranda.

Although some will be annoyed with me, I will add that MANY men are in the MDR on formal nights, happily eating while wearing a long sleeved shirt and tie with no jacket, or a sports coat with long sleeved shirt and no tie.

I know what the celebrity website says about the on ship dress code fir formal night. But reality is what it us, so I would say if you can fit a few LS shirts, a tie and slacks (not jeans) into your suitcase, go ahead and eat in the MDR. You WON'T stand out.

Although some will be annoyed with me, I will add that MANY men are in the MDR on formal nights, happily eating while wearing a long sleeved shirt and tie with no jacket, or a sports coat with long sleeved shirt and no tie.

I know what the celebrity website says about the on ship dress code fir formal night. But reality is what it us, so I would say if you can fit a few LS shirts, a tie and slacks (not jeans) into your suitcase, go ahead and eat in the MDR. You WON'T stand out.

Not to start another debate but why would you tell someone not to worry about a jacket and then say no jeans. Seems a bit contradictory being there is actually nothing in the dress code which forbids Jeans on formal night. I am not advocating either just pointing out a bit of contradiction.

I have traveled on Celebrity many times since 1999, There have been many changes in formal nights since them at first they did not want you out of your room after 6pm without formal dress. Its is much more relaxed now, personally if you like to dress up which we do, that is half the fun of it.

Macrac

Honestly, we feel that the MOST special items are found at the specialty restaurants, and we always book those for formal nights. The ambiance, to us, is more special as well. We long ago tired of the formal night waiter parade and napkin waving but YMMV. Celebrity prepares many dishes that are much better than their warm water lobster dishes.

As far as formal wear - it's clearly stated on the website and frankly over-discussed here. Many want to know the minimum they can "get by with." Just wear what is suggested and you'll be fine.

Do note that from my personal experience that even though smart casual is the suggested dress code for specialty restaurants, on formal night you will still see formal wear and coats and/or ties. Not all dress formally or in suits, but there will be a noticeable up-tick in dress on those nights. We do the same, just to keep with the dressier ambiance of the ship those nights.

On our recent cruise, the 2nd formal evening was "lobster night". I'm a vegetarian but my husband likes lobster and he and the other 4 at our table said it was ok but nothing spectacular. None of them thought the lobsters were fresh. Celebrity does very well with most of the vegetarian dishes.

The lobster served is frozen warm water lobster tails...not to be confused with fresh maine lobsters. IMHO, even if you do go on formal night, order something other than the lobster tails which are most often overcooked and dried out even though they are served with hot butter over them.

You can check the menu for any night at lunch time when they post the menus outside the restaurants (MDR and Blu)

So to summarise, yes the MDR menus are upgraded on formal nights. We are just off the Eclipse and had the same 14 day menu you will most likely have. One formal had rack of lamb, another had chateaubriand and another had lobster. There were other items too but these are what I remember. My Mum had the lobster and it was huge and actually very very nice.

We like formal nights. Its great to see people makng an effort and we would miss them if they ever went. We didnt see anyone not stick to the dress code on those nights on our cruise.

However, many dont enjoy the formality of course but thats what makes cruising great. There is something for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Summit Oct/2013 and the lobster tails were amazing. I was very surprised at how good they were. So, each ship may be a little different for food quality. We had fantastic food everynight of that cruise.

Agree that formal nights are less formal than previously, especially in the Carribbean. I was surprised, though, at the number of truly dressy people -- long gowns for women and tuxedos on the men - on our 14 day Baltic last year. Not everyone, of course, but significantly more than other cruises. Made it very festive, overall.

Didn't pay attention to the OP's request, I see... :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks for your helpful replies. I was unaware that room service will deliver dinner menu items. Specialty restaurants are another option. In the end, the decision will be based on how much room is left in the luggage as we pack. And either way, I'm sure we'll have a wonderful cruise!