Question concerning traveling with an elderly parent

My dad will be travelling with us and is in good health but is currently recovering from some surgery and experiencing problems standing for long periods of time. He cannot do this and therefore am concerned about the muster drill and the check in.

I am wondering if there is any way that they will allow him to not attend the Muster drill. If not can they make some accomodations for him to sit during the drill?

I'm sure there are wheelchairs available but I'm sure he will not want to be wheeled around in one unless absolutely necessary.

Also does anyone know if there are places to sit in the check in area at Bayonne.

We sailed out of Miami last year and I cannot recall if there were seats in this area.

I know if there is a long line we will definitely have a problem with him standing that long.

We're hoping that the relaxation of the cruise will help him as he is generally in good health and made the trip last year with no problems. This time should be even easier since we are having a limo ride to Bayonne so there will be no airport waits etc.

Any suggestions?

I would arrange a wheel chair rental for the duration of the trip. Use is when he wants including port calls. Speak to your travel agent. I sure hope you bght travel insurance in time for the pre-existing conditions waiver.

There is no Medicare coverage outside the US. Payment is due at the time of services.

Yes do get a wheelchair. Tell you dad that it will help you relax more so he doesn't get upset. (That worked wonders when we traveled with my mom in her late 80's. )

He doesn't have to use it all the time..but some docks are really long and ships are huge...Also he will be guarenteed a place to sit while you wait. Well worth it.

Enjoy your time...Cruises are great for families...

thanks for the suggestion.. I'll try to talk him into it. Do they charge for the wheelchairs? If so how much? Where do we pick it up? and how about the Muster Drill? Would he have to go if we had the wheelchair or would they let him skip it or provide a seat?

He does not plan to go ashore. Last year he stayed back and enjoyed himself on the balcony in our room or on deck relaxing while we did the excursions and even found his own way to the Windjammer a few times.. however last year he did not have the "standing" problem so I'm sure he won't be wandering about on his own this time. But he does not mind staying in the room and sitting on the balcony or he can even order room service should he get hungry.

We did purchase insurance but I'm not sure about the pre-existing conditon clause, or if it would apply in our case but I hope that we don't have to use it.

Anyway

I recently returned from RCCL cruise with my 92 year old grandmother. We used a wheel chair and the staff was great about helping her transfer to regular chairs in the dining room, shows, lounges, etc. It made it very easy for her to navigate around a very large ship.

For the muster I would suggest waiting until the final call to actually take your Dad out. If he is in a wheelchair, he will feel less claustrophobic if he is in the front row(the early birds get put in the back and the lines move forward from there) and if he opts to stand he can stand near the rail. I would suggest the wheel chair, however - our muster was hot and lasted nearly 20 minutes.

If your Dad has issues with a wheelchair, as my Dad did, consider purchasing a "rollator" walker for him. It is a snappy little walker with a seat on it. He will be much steadier and safer using it, and if he gets tired, the seat is always there for him to use. Here is a picture of what it is like. Also, if you get a prescription from his doctor for this, Medicare will pay a large portion of the cost. Good luck

hdr_rollator.jpg.dfa2eeb554d2fd87e7aaf5d43538890a.jpg

I second the rollator idea. I didn't know what they were called until I saw tkbui7's post. My mother lives in the independent living section of a retirement community and I see them all over the place. Many of them are collapsible, so will they take up very little space in the cabin or the dining room. They are much less cumbersome than a wheel chair and can manuver around corners and tight spaces easily.

Deb H,

Another option for the Muster Drill is to get your life vests from your cabin about 15 minutes before the drill & proceed to the Muster Station early. Especially if you and Dad have to use an elevator to get there. That's what I plan to do on my next cruise. All the elevators were shut off right before the Muster Drill on some of my past cruises. My bad back and knee complained bitterly about all those stairs getting to my Muster Station on my last cruise. I feel sure that if your Dad is in a wheelchair or has one of those lovely "rollators" tkubi7 posted about, the Muster Station staff will place your Dad in a better spot than at the back. It won't hurt to ask! Hope all goes well for you and Dad!!

Happy trails, y'all!

Kat 50.gif

In our case we rented a we sat wheelchair from a local Pharmacy to use for the whole trip. I don't recall that it was prohibitively expensive.

the ship will have wheelchairs to use for free but the number is limited.

We met in the lounge for our muster drill so it was easy to get mom there.

Woudl suggest you go early with the chair.

Would second the comment that staff was helpful. Mom transfered to chair in dining room and they stowed the chair during dinner.

she was able to get around her room ok and like your dad was happy to stay in room. she loved going to dinner and hearing about our day...Then we went to the shows. She sat in the back in the handicapped section and always met people.

We made a point to get back to the ship for lunch and take her to the Windjammer.

(It was a great trip. Three days before she died she was touring bArcelona...a city she had never been to, It sure is the way I want to go.)

This is on topic (traveling with elderly parent) but perhaps not applicable to you--

Several years ago my then 85 year-old mother in law really wanted to visit Boston-- her husband (who had passed away several years before this trip) had gone to M.I.T. and she wanted to see that etc etc.

So just the two of us went- we were blessed with a great relationship and often traveled the two of us (she has since passed away). At any rate- when in Boston the hotel had a fire alarm. We were unfortunately on the 14th floor and although she was nimble for her age- she was nimble for her age which at 85 isn't as nimble as someone 20. People were pushing and shoving to get down the stairs as I tried to help her. I was rather surprised at how little people seemed to care about my situation and trying to help her with the stairs (certainly one or two people were nice about it- but they were the minority). Fourteen floors can be a LONG trip when in that situation.

Turned out to be a false alarm (fortunately-- but I understand they have to be cautious) but after that experience whenever we traveled I always requested a hotel room on a low floor. It sounds like your somewhat local and taking a limo so this info is not applicable- but if anyone else travels with their elderly parent or a spouse or child that's not completely mobile --and does pre/post cruise nights-- please consider taking my advice and request a low floor-- just in case.

How about a small, folding chair like this one:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=C015A799C&categoryid=10010

I'm sure you can buy something like it at Wal*Mart or Target. It folds up pretty small and your Dad can use it when he has to stand in a line.

My dad will be travelling with us and is in good health but is currently recovering from some surgery and experiencing problems standing for long periods of time. He cannot do this and therefore am concerned about the muster drill and the check in.

I am wondering if there is any way that they will allow him to not attend the Muster drill. If not can they make some accomodations for him to sit during the drill?

I'm sure there are wheelchairs available but I'm sure he will not want to be wheeled around in one unless absolutely necessary.

Also does anyone know if there are places to sit in the check in area at Bayonne.

We sailed out of Miami last year and I cannot recall if there were seats in this area.

I know if there is a long line we will definitely have a problem with him standing that long.

We're hoping that the relaxation of the cruise will help him as he is generally in good health and made the trip last year with no problems. This time should be even easier since we are having a limo ride to Bayonne so there will be no airport waits etc.

Any suggestions?

I use a wheelchair and scooter (yes, I can walk a little but it would take forever). Some advice, do rent or get a wlaker or wheelchair. You can contact scoot-Around or Care Vactions both will deliver to the ship. If you do rent ask for an ultra-light wheelchair/walker. The walker sounds like the better idea. He can sit down when needed.

Yes, he will have to attend the lifeboat drill. Here is what I do, around 15 mins before drill I get my life jack and head to the area where the drill is to take place. I find the closet bar and wait for the bells/announcement. Then I go to the area of the drill, I sit on my scooter for the drill so that I do not get tired. It can be very hot. After I go back to the bar for 20 mins or so until everyone has cleared the area. Then I go and return my jack to the room. Vacation is now started.

I do order room service on occasion (MS). I always tip whoever brings me what I want. Another suggestion here is for you to go to Wind Jammer before you go and get somethings for him to have on the balconey and make sure he has lots of fluids available pop/water/coffee ect.

A couple of years ago we were sailing with my son who was 9 months at the time. His life "jacket" was actually a bag that you put the baby in...quite unique. When we went up on deck for the muster drill, the staff was very friendly and checked us in and then took us inside and let us sit with him. A staff member stayed with us (I assume to make sure we stayed), but we had a pleasant conversation while we waited. Obviously, a lot will have to do with the staff that is aboard your particular ship. We were prepared to stand with him, but it was nice not to have to. I think in your case, I would plan on having a wheelchair or one of the other devices mentioned. It will be handy to have for the rest of the cruise as well.

First, at the pier, ask RCCL personnel for a wheelchair for your Dad. Our check in at San Juan was a nightmare but after I got our docs inside (our docs were pier pickup), they got a wheelchair for my Mom and took her all the way to our cabin.

I went to the desk to ask about a wheelchair for her for the muster drill since she passed out on the previous cruise we went on, and they told me we didn't have to go but for me to check out our muster area to be familiar with it. After that, our cabin steward also told me we didn't have to go since he knew my Mom wasn't feeling very good.

If you want a wheelchair for long periods of time, you have to put a deposit down but you will get it back.

If your dad needs a wheel chair and is willing to use it, arrange for it prior to boarding. They should have it for you as soon as you get to the pier. If he does not really need one, the idea of getting to the muster location early is a great one. I do not believe there are any exceptions as to who attends the drills; everyone is required to be on deck. NMnita

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I guess we will play it by ear s the day gets closer as to Dad's condition. If he feels he can walk but just needs to sit instead of standing for long periods we will either get the walking cane with the seat attached ( awsome!) OR .. my DH has a backpack chair that he uses for fishing and has agreed to bring it for Dad. My DH is is a big guy so it will not be heavy or cumbersom for him to take ... no different than a backpack. Then we can open it when standing in line or for the Muster Drill. I will ask them when we arrive on the ship if he can skip the drill altogether but if they won't allow it then we can bring the chair and do as you all suggested.. get there early and wait until the crowd disperses to go back to our cabin. Last trip the drill was on deck 5 and hopefully it will be this time too ( does anyone know if they always have it on that deck?) and our cabin is on deck 6 so that only means two flights of stairs in case we cannot get the elevator. Hopefully we can get there early enough to be able to use the elevator. Also I believe our cabin is pretty close to the elevators so Dad won't have to walk far to get to them at any given time.

If, when the day gets closer, he feels he does not feel strong enough to do any walking we will then rent a portable wheel chair from a local med equipment store. They told me they have a very light one for $2.00 per day !! I think the important thing is to be prepared beforehand and that we will do.

We will be sure he knows how to call room service and also be sure he eats before we leave for any excursion however last year ( again he was not feeling well at all when we started the cruise due to a prostate infection he was just getting over ) we were not one full day into the cruise and he transformed into a "spring chicken".. strolling the ship to find all the ice cream machines and even going to the Windjammer on his own while we were on an excursion to get some lunch and he did great. He has always been very active and in good health until his recent surgery and hopefully this will help him recuperate fully.

Thanks again to everyone for all the wonderful ideas and stories. Please keep them coming:D I enjoyed reading all of them.

We travelled with my 86 year old mother 3 years ago who has similar difficulties. I spoke with RCCL direct. When you get to the port terminal, let the person know at the entrance that you need special assistance for your father. They were very accomodating to us and moved us to the front of the line for her to sit, then checked us in promptly. Your Dad may feel goosey about this, but just tell him its a bonus for all of you to not have to wait so long. As for the muster, dont wait until the time of the muster as the elevators will be shut down. You want to get him to where he needs to be before then to cut down on the drama so he will not be so fatigued. Your room steward will help you with where that is. The excitement of it all (the whole trip) will do more of a number on him that you think. I dont think they guarantee he can sit, and he will have to go as everyone is checked in as they arrive at muster. I would suggest you look into one of those cane that have a flip out set. It will help alot, even if he walks on shore, he will at least have a place to sit if he needs to (or if you need to). I agree about the insurance. We bought it for us and my mom and felt is was money well spent, even though we did not need it. Old people are like kids - one minute they are OK, then the next they can be in dire straights. They did have a wheelchair onboard for us to use and further, sent a special note to the room after our request to her to say if they could accomodate her in any other way to let them know. There was no charge for this. We did not bring her chair as she did not want to take it and be a drag, but that was our mistake in not insisting. We ended up using the chair off the ship at one of the ports of call, but keep in mind, a lot of countries are not exactly wheelchair friendly so it left her feeling pretty beat up when we got back on the boat. I would ask, if you do not need it you can leave it folded up in your room. The sidewalks were potholed and bumpy, doorways tight, etc. Second stop she desided not to go which concerned us, but when we came back we found her by the pool with a tall drink and a book. She now has a walker that has a seat & a basket on it that would perhaps be something you should consider to keep your dad steady as he goes and allow him to sit whenever possible. This might allow him to feel more free to join in on activities without wearing himself out. My mom fell the last day when we enountered a bit of rough seas. This would have been helpful on a lot of counts.

Good luck to you on this. It was a challenge, but we have some wonderful memories that cannot be replaced. Be sure to spend the money for the photos with all of you.

Archived