Copenhagen Hotel

We were in Copenhagen in June and stayed at Best Western Hotel Hebron, it is in a great location near the central train station and Tivoli Gardens. We had a king suite for 895 dkk which is a good rate. The full breakfast was included in the price and the food was wonderful. We were on the top floor and it was warm the night we were there but there was a fan in our bedroom no AC. Free wifi also.

I was just in Copenhagen last month and we stayed at the Palace hotel. It was a block from Tivoli Garden and about a block to Stroget the big shopping street. We easily walked (probably a mile or so) to Nyhaven where we took a one hour canal tour. We got the hotel through our cruise company, Holland America. Oh, and breakfast was included - a nice buffet.

Does the Palace have air conditioning? A recent review on Tripadvisor from a Holland America cruiser states the hotel is old with no AC, however I am finding some websites saying there is AC. My e-mail to the Palace has not yet been answered.

We have previously stayed in Copenhagen at the beginning of July when it was quite warm and I will not consider booking a room without AC (our friends did and they were miserable). I am sure there are few days that it is truly needed, but I do not want to take the chance. I think desiring to have AC is purely a matter of personal comfort. I notice as I read through tons of hotel reviews, some contributors do mention hot stuffy rooms.

Edited by sippican

Does the Palace have air conditioning? A recent review on Tripadvisor from a Holland America cruiser states the hotel is old with no AC, however I am finding some websites saying there is AC. My e-mail to the Palace has not yet been answered.

We have previously stayed in Copenhagen at the beginning of July when it was quite warm and I will not consider booking a room without AC (our friends did and they were miserable). I am sure there are few days that it is truly needed, but I do not want to take the chance. I think desiring to have AC is purely a matter of personal comfort. I notice as I read through tons of hotel reviews, some contributors do mention hot stuffy rooms.

I am not sure that this is of any help but I did finally call the Palace directly (having received no reply to my e-mail inquiry). They assured me they have an "air cooling" system, which is not as efficient as air conditioning. I have read the noise from the square can be bothersome at night, so I do not want to rely on open windows.

I am still uncertain as to whether I'll book.

personal preference. I would never stay near the airport just to save money. too inconvenient for me. stay in Kongens Nytorv. check Hotel Opera.

Here is another vote of location and convenience. We stayed at The Square. Super location, handy to Tivoli, overlooks the main town square and offers lots of Danish style, modern character. See a visual below. In searching, most of the hotels and groups have computer systems to estimate and manage "demand". Prices can go up . . . AND down. Get something booked now and then check back, see if something better in location and/or prices opens up closer to when you will be visiting there in this spectacular city.

Another free, smart tip? Don't missing seeing Tivoli at night. Very much like magic, even for us older kids. Walking around and soaking it up is so special, interesting and fun. Exciting!! Depends on your personal interests and tastes. The location is handy and the size of this compact park makes things easy to sample in a reasonable period of time.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 150,534 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

I am not sure that this is of any help but I did finally call the Palace directly (having received no reply to my e-mail inquiry). They assured me they have an "air cooling" system, which is not as efficient as air conditioning. I have read the noise from the square can be bothersome at night, so I do not want to rely on open windows.

I am still uncertain as to whether I'll book.

So here's the answer from the Palace:

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in the rooms

Booking coordinator

Group Desk Copenhagen

Scandic Copenhagen, Sydhavnen, Palace, Hvidovre & Glostrup"

• 1 month later...
Any thoughts on the Hotel Mayfair??

We stayed there in June. It was ok. Check out was a mess - the credit card machine for mag strips was down, causing a huge line in the lobby. There was only one desk attendant, and many cruisers checking out at the same time because three ships were leaving that morning. Adding the credit card processing problem made things pretty bad.

We had a prepaid stay using CC points and had made the reservation back when the Mayfair was a Clarion. At that time, room rates included breakfast and a light dinner buffet. When First hotels took over they no longer included breakfast and stopped doing the night buffet. However, it was noted on our reservation, so we were not charged for breakfast. There was no compensation for the fact there we no dinner buffet - but then again we never made an issue of it.

Recent TripAdvisor reviews are definitely not as good as they were last year when we started looking at potential places to stay.

We were very happy with the Radisson Blu Royal, near the Tivoli Gardens. On Saturday nights in the summer, you have an amazing view of the Tivoli fireworks directly from your room. We arrived sat afternoon, so we were pretty jet lagged but still really loved the show. There is air conditioning, and the room was quite large by European standards (we had a family room, which costs less than a suite and includes a very good continental breakfast.) There is some limited noise from the street, but I am a light sleeper and was able to sleep through it easily. The furniture was a bit worn, but I was happy to have comfortable accommodations in a great location. It is right near the train station, and near major bus stops so you can easily utilize public transportation from this hotel (including taking the bus from the airport or to the port if you can manage your suitcases)

This may have been mentioned upthread, but check with any hotel you are considering close to booking about construction noise, as the expansion of the metro has affected many Copenhagen hotels (we were unable to stay at the Hotel D'Angleterre since when I emailed them they told me that have construction intermittently, even on weekends in August 2014, though hopefully things will end soon) My son naps, so this would have been a problem.

Edited by kitkat343

We stayed at the Hotel Mayfair end of July. We had booked a suite and when we got there we were told the suite was not available. The other two couples in our group did receive their suites which faced the courtyard. We were compensated and given a room facing the street. It was an unusual very hot (no AC) Saturday night and the people from the strip club across the street were so very loud and in the partying mood in the streets until 6:00 am. The windows had to be open since the room was stifling hot and no cross ventilation or fan.

Our travel agent booked this hotel when it was still Clarion months before our stay. We were compensated somewhat for the deletion of evening snacks when the Mayfair took over.

The hotel itself is nice and the staff is friendly and helpful. Having been "forced" to take the room facing the street when we had a confirmation for a suite left a sour taste in my mouth. We were exhausted from the overnight flight and needed to get some rest.

Make sure your room is facing the courtyard, not the street, if you stay there in the summer when the windows need to be open.

Breakfast is wonderful! Location was good to walk to Tivoli gardens and other sites. We took train from airport.

There is a nice restaurant just across the street and down a bit. Wonderful wienerschnitzel.

danish Viking:

We are not traveling to Copenhagen until 08/15, but started the research now. I have an auto immune disease that affects my mobility. I can get around, and walk a mile with a cane, but can not do stairs, and utilize grab bars in the bathroom. My initial research shows the admiral has no rooms that are for the disabled. The palace has 1 room, and the Hilton blu has several. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

danish Viking:

We are not traveling to Copenhagen until 08/15, but started the research now. I have an auto immune disease that affects my mobility. I can get around, and walk a mile with a cane, but can not do stairs, and utilize grab bars in the bathroom. My initial research shows the admiral has no rooms that are for the disabled. The palace has 1 room, and the Hilton blu has several. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom,

We will probably use the DoubleTree Hilton Amsterdam Central Station. I received this reply from the management.

Thank you for your interest in DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Central Station. The 27 accessible rooms are located on the river and courtyard sides of the hotel. All these rooms have a roll-in shower with grab rails, higher level toilet, emergency pull cord, low sink, low level storage shelf. When making the reservation please indicate your view of preference, we will do our best to accommodate this request.

Caroline_Receveur Amsterdam Property representative

TripAdvisor has a question/answer function that I used and my accessible room question was answered very quickly. Hope this helps you. This hotel is close to the port (walkable) and has air conditioning. I would reserve a room quickly so that you have a hotel. Then if you find a better price somewhere else, you can cancel.

Thanks for Hilton blu...I'll look into that hotel also. Just checked for Hilton Blu and found it is called Radisson Blu...is that correct?

If anyone else has accessible hotel input, please let us know.

Edited by daju22

We stayed at the Marriott using points but would have gladly paid cash.

We were at the end of our three week vacation and I'll admit, it was nice to have an American-size room with double beds and a nice bathroom.

We had the Copenhagen Card which included public transportation. A bus stop was at the front door! We walked about four blocks to Trivoli. Also used public bus to get to the airport with NO problem at all. Google maps on our iPhone told us exact bus numbers and routes to wherever we wanted to go. Also noticed the hop on-hop off bus stopped at the Marriott as well. Nice water view from our window.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen June 4 by air, and taking the June 5 NCL cruise ship. We would like to stay in Copenhagen for the night before the cruise.Where would you suggest for 3 seniors to stay so that we can see the sites and not be too far away from the cruise terminal. We would be arriving in the morning.

Also, our ship arrives back in Copenhagen June 12 at 8:00 am and our flight would be around 12:20pm. Would there be enough time for us to get from the cruise terminal to the airport?

Thank you

We will be arriving in Copenhagen June 4 by air, and taking the June 5 NCL cruise ship. We would like to stay in Copenhagen for the night before the cruise.Where would you suggest for 3 seniors to stay so that we can see the sites and not be too far away from the cruise terminal. We would be arriving in the morning.

Also, our ship arrives back in Copenhagen June 12 at 8:00 am and our flight would be around 12:20pm. Would there be enough time for us to get from the cruise terminal to the airport?

Thank you

I have booked the Imperial Hotel on Vester Farimagsgade and we will be going to the ship the next morning, (NCL Star). How do we get to the terminal from the hotel?

I don't know if anyone is reading these posts now, but hopefully someone can help with this one.

Thank you

I have booked the Imperial Hotel on Vester Farimagsgade and we will be going to the ship the next morning, (NCL Star). How do we get to the terminal from the hotel?

I don't know if anyone is reading these posts now, but hopefully someone can help with this one.

Thank you

What day does your ship depart?

Thank you

Second question, yes 12:20 should allow you enough time to get to the airport.

The first one is more tricky.

First, the cruise terminal is not anywhere near the city center and there is not any hotels near it.

So if I was you I would choose a hotel near Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn and then take bus 26 (direction UNICEF Færgehavn Nord) to the pier from there.

Admiral, D´angleterre, Scandic Front, Wake Up (Borgergade location) and Bethel are amongst the hotels in the area.

Thank you for your help. Our ship leaves on Friday.

I was also concerned about the timing of our return because I have been reading that the traffic tie up at the cruise terminal takes a very long time, and we don't want to miss our flight. I was considering staying over for another night and take the flight the next day.

I do not promise anything but from what I can understand on the recent review's here on cruise critic the traffic situation isn't mentioned at all so that makes me think that the extra shuttle busses to and from Østerport and the police regulating the traffic has helped alot.

On the other question I'm thinking that it I possible to walk to the town hall square or the central station (vesterbrogade bus stops) and take bus 26 to UNICEF from there.

You can do a trial walk the day before to see if it manageable.

Or else you can take the train from Vesterport just in front of your hotel to Østerport.

From here you can catch the regular 26 or the extra shuttle bus (also 26).

The regular bus stops at both bus stops but the shuttle only at Sløjfen.

You find the regular bus stop at Folke Bernadotte's Allé when you walk left out of the ticket hall.

The one at Sløjfen is at the other end of the platforms.

Just walk to the the pedestrian bridge and walk right and then the bridge will end at Sløjfen.