Copenhagen Hotel

My friend and I are searching for a centrally located downtown Copenhagen Hotel. We enjoy each other's company but want our own beds to sleep in, plus we would like breakfast included. We do like clean hotels with a friendly staff. Any help is very much appreciated.:)

Hands down, Bella sky :)

What a beautiful hotel! We stayed there 3 days prior to our cruise in September and would recommend this hotel to anyone! The food/restaurants in the hotel were wonderful....the people/employees always happy and accommodating. The beds....to DIE for! The most comfortable beds we've ever slept in. The size of the room was the same size as an American hotel room. Entire hotel is ultra modern. The architect of this building is something else. And....a 5 min. walk to the metro just around the corner. The price of the hotel was great - not in center but a quick metro ride and we're there.

I loved your city!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Skandic Copenhagen for 3 nights this past August, before a cruise. It was a 10 minute walk from the train station (which we used from the airport - really cheap and easy!) and about the same time to walk to Tivoli and the city center area.

We loved the hotel - very modern, a nice big room on the 12th floor which overlooked the lake. Sunsets were amazing, everything was quiet, there was air conditioning and the best part of all was the included breakfast. The buffet was wonderful - lots to choose from including hot dishes - cereals, eggs, meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, etc.

We stayed at the Skandic Copenhagen for 3 nights this past August, before a cruise. It was a 10 minute walk from the train station (which we used from the airport - really cheap and easy!) and about the same time to walk to Tivoli and the city center area.

We loved the hotel - very modern, a nice big room on the 12th floor which overlooked the lake. Sunsets were amazing, everything was quiet, there was air conditioning and the best part of all was the included breakfast. The buffet was wonderful - lots to choose from including hot dishes - cereals, eggs, meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, etc.

Pretty much same with Belle Sky. Breakfast included and was a huge buffet with American breakfast foods and European breakfast foods. 5 min. walk to metro, AC, huge room, great view and a lot cheaper then staying in center. The Metro had us in Center in 7 min. The cost for the three nights for 2 people was $508 and some change which included VAT. After staying at the hotel I felt it was a steal and a great deal! I wanted to stay in center but found the costs of hotels were too high.....but after staying where I did I'd stay there again.

Either way......I loved Copenhagen and the people!

Harriet

I've been researching on and off for the last several months a hotel choice.

We are in our early 40's and are night owls who enjoy sampling local nightlife. We do not want to be anywhere that we will need to use train or bus transport to get back to our hotel at night. We also enjoy walking around and finding little cafes and other spots.

While in Copenhagen pre-cruise, we likely will not tour museums or palaces inside, but would like to be able to see them as we walk by. I also want to take a canal tour and walk around Nyhavn. I don't mind taking public transport during the day.

From my research, it sounds like I want to be located in city centre?

I am not as concerned about air conditioning as it sounds like mid-late August should be cool enough at night to sleep with windows open. Outside noise definitely does not bother me, and is almost preferred. We'll be out late anyway.

I think I've narrowed the choices down to the following 3:

Andersen Hotel--I haven't read anything on CC for this hotel. Has anyone stayed here or have any thoughts around the hotel or area?

Scandic Palace--I've read a few things in this thread. I like the idea of walking to Tivoli at night as well. Is it close to other bars and restaurants?

The Square--It also sounds like this hotel would be centrally located.

The Hotel Phoenix is also a good choice. For those who prefer a smaller more boutique style hotel, the Phoenix offers good service, a traditional Danish décor, and a location near Nyhavn. We stayed there during a land-based holiday and have booked it again for three days post-cruise. We took the transit from the airport and walked a few blocks to the hotel with wheeled luggage. The Stroget shopping area, city museums, and canal boat tours are within easy walking distance. The Phoenix is not a budget hotel, but rates are fair for the location, quality, and ease of travel. It's included in the recommendations by Copenhagen locals.

I've been researching on and off for the last several months a hotel choice.

We are in our early 40's and are night owls who enjoy sampling local nightlife. We do not want to be anywhere that we will need to use train or bus transport to get back to our hotel at night. We also enjoy walking around and finding little cafes and other spots.

While in Copenhagen pre-cruise, we likely will not tour museums or palaces inside, but would like to be able to see them as we walk by. I also want to take a canal tour and walk around Nyhavn. I don't mind taking public transport during the day.

From my research, it sounds like I want to be located in city centre?

I am not as concerned about air conditioning as it sounds like mid-late August should be cool enough at night to sleep with windows open. Outside noise definitely does not bother me, and is almost preferred. We'll be out late anyway.

I think I've narrowed the choices down to the following 3:

Andersen Hotel--I haven't read anything on CC for this hotel. Has anyone stayed here or have any thoughts around the hotel or area?

Scandic Palace--I've read a few things in this thread. I like the idea of walking to Tivoli at night as well. Is it close to other bars and restaurants?

The Square--It also sounds like this hotel would be centrally located.

I can't recommend one over another but both Scandic Palace and The Square is located at the town hall square.

That means that Strøget, Tivoli etc its at your doorstep.

The Andersen hotel was rated number 1 by trip advisor a few years ago but has slipped down the list lately.

The location behind the central station ist ideal either because the walking time to the interesting sites are longer.

From Bella Sky does the Metro take you right to the cruise terminal? We will be leaving on the Eurodam next August and not sure which terminal this ship will be docked at?

Thanks

Janelle:)

There will probably be a metro at the cruise terminal in 10-15 years time but for now you have to rely on busses.

Take the metro from Bella Center towards Vanløse and get off at Kongens Nytorv.

From here bus 26 towards Fœrgehavn Nord UNICEF will take you out to Oceankaj.

Don't take the Færgehavn Nord or Søndre Frihavn busses as they don't stop at the UNICEF bus stop.

So you can only use 2 out off the 6 hourly departures.

If its a weekend you have to take the metro one stop further to Nørreport, change for a northbound S-train (directions are Holte, Hillerød, Klampenborg and Farum)

Then get off at Østerport and take the dedicated cruise shuttle bus from the Sløjfen bus stop.

From Bella Sky does the Metro take you right to the cruise terminal? We will be leaving on the Eurodam next August and not sure which terminal this ship will be docked at?

Thanks

Janelle:)

When we stayed at Bella Sky we just took a taxi as we didn't feel like dealing with our rolling luggage and our carry-on luggage. For the two of us our taxi cost us about $40-$45.00.

It was worth it to us for the simplicity of it and to be dropped off right by the ship.

Harriet

After a lot of research we booked the Best Western Hebron at Helgolsdgade 4The location was ideal - a block from the central station and we will be able to take the train from the airport to the hotel and walk everywhere, it's so convenient. The hotel had a special promotional rate of 895 Danish Krones per night so we booked on their website. Check Google Maps for their location.

Marion

After a lot of research we booked the Best Western Hebron at Helgolsdgade 4The location was ideal - a block from the central station and we will be able to take the train from the airport to the hotel and walk everywhere, it's so convenient. The hotel had a special promotional rate of 895 Danish Krones per night so we booked on their website. Check Google Maps for their location.

Marion

+ the darn VAT of 25% - that kills me! LOL

Harriet

Harriet - it was such a great promo rate we booked it in August (for our June 2015 cruise) soon as we saw it - it included a full breakfast AND all their taxes - well, that's what our confirmation clearly states. I hope we won't have any surprises. The hotel gets good reviews, looks great and for what we are paying we won't complain. We were paying more than double the $$ at another hotel and canceled our booking.

Marion

Harriet - it was such a great promo rate we booked it in August (for our June 2015 cruise) soon as we saw it - it included a full breakfast AND all their taxes - well, that's what our confirmation clearly states. I hope we won't have any surprises. The hotel gets good reviews, looks great and for what we are paying we won't complain. We were paying more than double the $$ at another hotel and canceled our booking.

Marion

Sounds like a great price and deal. About $22 less than I paid staying at the Bella Sky - which also included a *fantastic* breakfast buffet and a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Enjoy Copenhagen.....we went 3 days prior to our cruise so we could and loved every moment there!

Harriet

The VAT is included in the price.

In Denmark all companies has to show the full price included VAT and taxes.

That's why some low cost airlines like Ryanair has been in trouble because they first showed their full price at the end of the booking process.

You are, of course, correct. I just looked back to my reservation and it did already include the VAT.

Now...here's a question for you even though off topic:

Was I supposed to tip the taxi driver? I did. And if I was, what %.

Was I supposed to tip the waitress at a restaurant? I did. And if I was, what %.

Thanks!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Its not mandatory to tip in Denmark and especially not the taxi driver.

But if the service at the restaurant is very good you can definately tip some but not huge amounts.

I know that's also the way in Italy but......

I did round up the cab driver so I think I left him about $3.00 american since I charged it on my CC

The servers were all great and I left them 10%.

Now I know why we always had a smile and great service! LOL

Harriet

I can't recommend one over another but both Scandic Palace and The Square is located at the town hall square.

That means that Strøget, Tivoli etc its at your doorstep.

The Andersen hotel was rated number 1 by trip advisor a few years ago but has slipped down the list lately.

The location behind the central station ist ideal either because the walking time to the interesting sites are longer.

Thank you Danish Viking. Good information about the area around Andersen Hotel. I couldn't tell if it were in walking distance to interesting sites or not. I'll cross that off my list. And if you ever need advice of hotels in many cities in the US, we can certainly help :)

staying in copenhagen 1 night post cruise in july. want to be centrally located and easy access to train, metro since going to airport next morning. looking at best western hotel city and hotel kong arthur. Please advise or recommend others. don't want to stay by airport. Also do buses run on weekends to hotels from cruise ports?

Kong Arthur is probably the better choice because you can choose from both train and Metro from Nørreport in orderto reach the airport.

I´m assuming that your ship is docked at Oceankaj and in that case there is only the shuttle to Østerport, from here you can catch the train to Nørreport.

Of course things can look different from next year so I have used the informations about the bus situation from this year.

Hi danish Viking,

Thank you for answering my post.

I just realized those hotels don't have air conditioning and we will be visting in july. I found the square hotel and the palace copenhagen have air. I like your idea of being close to metro and train station but i don't see any other hotels that are reasonably priced with air cond that fit the bill. Any preferences between the two hotels or others to consider that are preferred with air ?

Yes I will be coming from oceankaj, a assume you mean the ship's shuttle. Do you mean to tell me there is no other options such as buses for transporting from this port yet? bummer.

Hi danish Viking,

I just realized those hotels don't have air conditioning and we will be visting in july. I found the square hotel and the palace copenhagen have air. I like your idea of being close to metro and train station but i don't see any other hotels that are reasonably priced with air cond that fit the bill. Any preferences between the two hotels or others to consider that are preferred with air ?

Yes I will be coming from oceankaj, a assume you mean the ship's shuttle. Do you mean to tell me there is no other options such as buses for transporting from this port yet? bummer.

Bella Sky has AC - but not in the area you're interested in.

Harriet

Hi danish Viking,

No i mean public bus shuttles.

At the current timetable bus 26 doesn't go out the the Nordhavn area in the weekends.

But they have a special bus 26 that only goes between Oceankaj (UNICEF bus stop) and Østerport station to serve the cruise ships.

Regarding hotel I will choose The Square because you are in walking distance from the central station that will take you to the airport and also both the central station and Vesterport that you can reach from Østerport.