Caribe Hilton and Embassy Suites Question

I am booking a room in San Juan for the day our cruise ends. After reading some reviews, writers have said that the Caribe Hilton is very strict about check-in time, 4:00pm. I can understand if a room is not ready, but if it is, why not let the guest use it. I will be traveling with children and would like to be able to use the pool or beach. I know many Cruise Critic folks have stayed there, so please share your experience. Also, does anyone know how far the beach is from Embassy Suites, and do they have a similar check in protocol.

We recently stayed there. We were given early checkin. But it was after noon when we arrived. Not sure how early you are thinking. If your room is not ready, they do let you store your things and use the facilities. It was an extremely busy place when we were there. I think receiving early checkin may depend on the whether there is a room of the type you reserved ready for you when you check in.

Doris

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton last September for 1 night post cruise. We got to the hotel around 10 am, totally had forgotten to request an early check in. We got checked in right away regardless. There was a short walk to the beach but I don't believe it was 2 blocks from the hotel - it is on the hotel property.

We've stayed at the Caribe many times over the past 8-9 years. I don't think they're any different than any other hotel regarding check in time. If there are rooms available you should be able to get in. It all depends on how full they are, how many are checking out and when, etc. I've certainly never had reason to think they have any "policy" that makes people wait for their rooms more than anywhere else. We've probably checked in there 10 times and I don't think ever waited until 4:00PM, usually much earlier. Some post cruise stays we were in our room well before noon. There is a small beach on the property. Overall it's very nice.

We stayed at Embassy Suites last March. Typical ES and acceptable. Beach and many restaurants not a far walk. I would stay there again.

Our pre-cruise hotel in March was the Condado Hilton and I think we liked it better than the Caribe. Nice, well maintained, great location on the water. Next time we go to San Juan it's where we'll be staying if the price is right.

Edited by bouhunter

I am booking a room in San Juan for the day our cruise ends. After reading some reviews, writers have said that the Caribe Hilton is very strict about check-in time, 4:00pm. I can understand if a room is not ready, but if it is, why not let the guest use it. I will be traveling with children and would like to be able to use the pool or beach. I know many Cruise Critic folks have stayed there, so please share your experience. Also, does anyone know how far the beach is from Embassy Suites, and do they have a similar check in protocol.

I'm in PR often for business, if you have a choice you want the Intercontinental they have it all. Caribe is fine, but overrated the honors tower isn't as good as the main building. Cornado Hilton is average to needy. El San Juan is classic and with classic comes issues.

As for check in times - it's PR don't expect anything your much better off taking it as it comes. It may come very slow but it will come LOL

I visit SJ on business several times a year and always stay at the Caribe or SJ Marriott...can't go wrong with either although I prefer the Marriott. Staying there 3 nights prior to our Aug 23rd Jewel b2b...can't wait!

If you want a guarranteed AM check in, you should book the room for the previous night as well.

If you did this and did not show up on the day/night of your original reservation, you would be charged a no show charge for 1 nights room and tax (or whatever is the policy of the hotel) and not be guaranteed to the room for the day of early check in.

Caribe Hilton is right on a beach, just adjacent to the Condado neighborhood in San Juan. It's a short walk to numerous restaurants and such (though with traffic a cab might be best). Embassy Suites, if memory serves, is close to the airport in Isla Verde. Different neighborhood than Condado. Still a nice pool and some restaurants within walking distance, but not right on the beach.

When traveling to San Juan for a ships departure, we have always stayed at the Embassy Suites. We like the free cocktail and appetizers, and a good, hot and free breakfast.

We also like the fact that if one of us wants to stay up a bit later than the other, there are two rooms.

I'm always up earlier than my DW, so I can head to the other room, make tea and wait for her and make her coffee.

We have explored much of San Juan, so now we like to fly in the afternoon before, go out for dinner, and eat lunch once we have boarded.

Rick

If you did this and did not show up on the day/night of your original reservation, you would be charged a no show charge for 1 nights room and tax (or whatever is the policy of the hotel) and not be guaranteed to the room for the day of early check in.

I assume all make reservations and hold the room with a CC for late arrival. It does not hurt either to advise the hotel of your plans.

Edited by The Viking

We stayed at the Candado Hilton in March and had to wait for our room to be ready, but could use facilities. We liked the hotel and thought it to be a good choice. The beach was on an inlet and nicely kept, sandy, and calm waters - right on the property.

Also stayed at the Marriott a while ago and, if the price is right, I would vote that property to be my favorite. Like others, I do believe if you can get an early morning check-in - good luck....so plan on using the property, getting a good lunch, and enjoying your vacation...