Corkage fee explanation wanted

HMSDingy

When we boarded the CB on May 26 at Ft.Luderdale with our four bottles of fine wine (Buy on get one free for $6.99 at Publix) we were directed to the "penalty box." They stamped two bottles and the $15 each charge was put on our stateroom bill as "BB-BELL Box" whatever that means.

When on going on shore we asked at the "Penalty box" table if we copuld bring a bottle of wine for each of us on board. They said "no." When reboarding (w/o any wine) we asked the new crew at the desk if we could have brought a bottle of wine each on board w/o a corkage fee and they said "yes." Go figure!

Our next cruise is out of YVR ande what happens there will be interesting as we board with our usual four bottles.

When on going on shore we asked at the "Penalty box" table if we copuld bring a bottle of wine for each of us on board. They said "no." When reboarding (w/o any wine) we asked the new crew at the desk if we could have brought a bottle of wine each on board w/o a corkage fee and they said "yes." Go figure!

Moral of the story is: it is always better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

No matter how much bluster they raise over the wine policy, no way they can refuse to let you board with a legal purchase. Worst case is that they hold it until the last evening.

• 3 weeks later...
We have checked a case of wine in Seattle once and San Pedro twice. On two occasions (once in Seattle and once in San Pedro) they held the wine and delivered it to our room the next day with a chit to sign for the corkage fee on 10 of the bottle. Those bottle were stamped and we could take them anywhere on the ship and they would cork them for no additional charge. The corkage fees were taken out of our on board credit.

On our last cruise out of San Pedro, they just delivered the case of wine to our cabin with our lluggage and didn't charge us any corkage fees. We were, however, charged a corkage fee when we took the wine to dinner so in the end it was a wash either way. I almost prefer them to charge the corkage fee up front so we know where we are with our on board spending right from the start.

When we buy wine in ports, the checking at reboarding is pretty hit and miss.

Our next two cruises are on Cunard and I believe they are a lot more liberal.

Just a quick question. What cruise line were you on? Hopefully Princess.

I have gotten very mixed info. Some say they have been charged the regular corkage fee at embarkation when bringing in excess of the one bottle per person but have also said it's ok to purchase wine on shore - during a winery tour for example - and then bring it back onboard with no corkage fee.

Others have said you can't bring wine onboard from the ports but only during initial embarkation.

Still others have said you can bring wine onboard at port stops but are charged the corkage fee if you brought your "free" bottles on during initial embarkation.

I realize that some of this is due to the insanely inconsistent way Princess enforces (or doesn't enforce) their policies. My question is:

What is the OFFICIAL Princess policy regarding wine purchased at port stops (not at port of embarkation)? I don't know that I've seen that anywhere.

I have gotten very mixed info. Some say they have been charged the regular corkage fee at embarkation when bringing in excess of the one bottle per person but have also said it's ok to purchase wine on shore - during a winery tour for example - and then bring it back onboard with no corkage fee.

Others have said you can't bring wine onboard from the ports but only during initial embarkation.

Still others have said you can bring wine onboard at port stops but are charged the corkage fee if you brought your "free" bottles on during initial embarkation.

I realize that some of this is due to the insanely inconsistent way Princess enforces (or doesn't enforce) their policies. My question is:

What is the OFFICIAL Princess policy regarding wine purchased at port stops (not at port of embarkation)? I don't know that I've seen that anywhere.

Based on my experiences & reading posts from others, we can bring wine on from ports & it's subject to a $15 corkage fee. If we want to bring it back home they are suppose to hold it until the night before disembarkation without any fee. I read a post from someone who asked Princess on their Facebook website about wine being brought home & that was their answer.

As you said, enforcement varies greatly but any wine I've brought onboard from a port (either to drink onboard or to take home) has never been charged a fee. I've had them comment "nice wine" but never been charged which is good when consuming it in my cabin. However most of our wine is consumed in the dining room so that's when I've been charged corkage.

Just a quick question. What cruise line were you on? Hopefully Princess.

Yes, all of these particular experiences were on Princess ships.

We were initially very disappointed when Princess changed their wine policy, but in the end it has worked out pretty well. The only line we had dropped because of their revised wine policy is HAL, but that is primarily because their old liberal wine policy was the main reason we chose them. When that went away, we went away. Moreover, we honestly don't much care for HAL activities (boring), except for their consistently excellent dance music.

We haven't cruised as much as many who post on these boards and only so far cruised in the med. we bring on our allocated bottles at southampton no problem. Then every port we go to we have bought extra supplies. In the med the only place .....that we noticed....was Gib where there was a table for collecting purchases. DH handed in our alcohol ! And I continued with the wine .... Not stopped even though bags through scanners. The worst they will do is charge you so expect it and be happy if they don't! I think the alcohol drinks package is a way forward if people like to drink a bit more on their cruises.

I brought wine aboard from ports we visited in South America and Japan, and was not charged when I brought them back on board. My husband always picks up local beers as souvenirs for our son, just one or two bottles of a local brew, and we have never had them taken up.