Still live bands/party bands on board?

SoBe2010

The party band on Constellation in March was the best band I've seen on a ship. If you were there, you know what I mean. Lead guitarist that would put known pros to shame, a great variety of songs from the 60s to present, genres from pop to blues to rock. The CD sat in on lead vocals, and one of the ship's senior officers jumped in on guitar at the pool party. The only time I've ever seen a ship's crowd screaming for an encore. They played two encores.

What was the name? How long do you think they''ll be on Connie?

Sounds like music going in a good direction...hope we have great sounds on our upcoming cruises!

And as it is on Summit, there are DJ's, guitarists, piano players, and party bands. It has it all. But I think anyone on the summer Summit cruses to Bermuda can tell Harpists are likely going to fall to the bottom of most people's entertainment request lists. Look at the threads that discuss the tons of kids. Kids and their parent's are not really the harp crowd. However the harpists and strings are adored on the Eclipse TA by a visible majority. Not so much myself.

Our cruise had people participate in the Liquid Nightclub for almost 2 full hours. I doubt that would even last 4 minutes on an Eclipse transatlantic. Would YOU tolerate the DJ in the indoor pool for that period of time? Sounds like not. But this cruise, it was popular. Probably about 100-150 people at its peak, generally about 75 or so. Even those in the suites in the VIP area were having a good time.

I think one CAN in fact make some generalizations about demographics being different on different cruises. Summit to Bermuda has a unique ecosystem (would Perry Grant do well on this cruise for example as he does on the TA's and on the UK sailings?). Connie's 4 and 5 nighters have a different vibe. Eclipse from Southampton has a different crowd than Eclipse in the Caribbean. And I imagine Century in Asia is even different than when in Alaska.

Many of the worlds best rappers are from NYC, lots of their fans are too, they LOVE the rap, you are from NYC, but don't. you and they are bulit one small piece of the music loving ecosystem.

But I think the discussion of music on board and calling out the "rap card" these days is a bit old fashioned and not being properly used. Rap is really not that big anymore, it's gone more electronic and dance. It has a following, but not near as popular as it was 10-15 years ago. And I have not heard rap played by any of the DJ's on the ships I sail on, but have heard plenty of modern pop, and electronic/dance/trance/Drum and Base etc.

What was the party band? In August it was a single DJ that was the Party and Soul house party band....can one person even be considered/called/named a "band"?

Edited by 20pluscruises

What was the name? How long do you think they''ll be on Connie?

Sounds like music going in a good direction...hope we have great sounds on our upcoming cruises!

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember the name of the band. I believe I posted it when I got back, though, search my posts and you'll find it. I found their website. The Connie March break cruise was the end of their contract on X (and they played like it!), they were off to NCL, I believe. I commented on the band on my survey, so who knows, perhaps X will listen! It was one of those bands that you would check the schedule and go see them, not just listen if you happened to be there.

It was one of those bands that you would check the schedule and go see them, not just listen if you happened to be there.

Some of the names last year:

Fusion

D'Revelations

Smart Casuals

Xtasea

Top Notch

Kenosis

Sipra

Flava

Carousel

Twist of eight

Magnitude

Some of the names last year:

Fusion

D'Revelations

Smart Casuals

Xtasea

Top Notch

Kenosis

Sipra

Flava

Carousel

Twist of eight

Magnitude

They had some great Bands last year and this Spring,....sadly, things are changing

Edited by 20pluscruises

Yeah,but Cleveland rocks!:rolleyes:

LOL. I'm actually moving to downtown Cleveland next month. The city is in the process of an amazing renaissance these days.

One stupid thing that just happened though, is the Rock and Roll Hall of fame recently booted the ashes and urn of Alan Freed who coined the term "rock 'n roll". It was quite sad to see his family walking out the front door of the museum holding his urn and wondering where he should go. He had been there for many years.

The R&R HOF has the slogan "the house that rock built" and they booted the developer from his penthouse condo. very sad.

Yeh right... like the World Series of baseball reflects sports interest in the rest of the world... ;)

You are right, the World Series reflects the sports interests of mostly the US.

But if you doubt that NYC is not the cultural center of pretty much the entire world, take a few minutes to check out the cultural & ethnic festivals & parades throughout the year in NYC here:

http://citylore.org/urban-culture/resources/calendar-of-ethnic-festivals/

Then try to think of another city in the world that offers anything close.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Hello everybody,

Reading all the cost cutting, I was wondering, if X still have Live Bands on board like they used to in the past (Fusion, Sipra, Southside, Kenosis etc.)

Thanks in advance!

On Eclipse in July 2014 there was a great jazz group Les DeMerle. They played in the Ensemble Lounge and in the Atrium. Understand they will be on Solstice in Aus/NZin Sept(?) If you see them listed go and enjoy.

Carole

This thread is bumming me out. Celebrity actually thinks some guy with a crappy Casio keyboard constitutes a band? I dig having a high energy band poolside. Flava were the band on Summit last August, not any better than your average bar band, but when compared to keyboard guy they might as well have been Led Zeppelin.

I also read in one of these threads that there is now some dreadful keyboard/drum machine duo in the Martini bar. Is that true?

I am leaving 8/24 on this cruise, and am thinking of purchasing some earplugs. Music is a big thing for me obviously. At least I have the Premium beverage package to drink my way through this musical nightmare!

This thread is bumming me out. Celebrity actually thinks some guy with a crappy Casio keyboard constitutes a band? I dig having a high energy band poolside. Flava were the band on Summit last August, not any better than your average bar band, but when compared to keyboard guy they might as well have been Led Zeppelin.

I also read in one of these threads that there is now some dreadful keyboard/drum machine duo in the Martini bar. Is that true?

I am leaving 8/24 on this cruise, and am thinking of purchasing some earplugs. Music is a big thing for me obviously. At least I have the Premium beverage package to drink my way through this musical nightmare!

Yes it's true, but good news, they're kinda off to the side of the martini bar and somewhat blocked by a beam. However, you can still hear the music(?) clearly

I think you should give our son Jordan Peterson a listen when on the Summit. Check him out in Rendezvous and other venues around ship. That crappy Casio keyboard is something they MAKE him play at Sunset Bar. My feeling is most people blow things way out of proportion on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you should give our son Jordan Peterson a listen when on the Summit. Check him out in Rendezvous and other venues around ship. That crappy Casio keyboard is something they MAKE him play at Sunset Bar. My feeling is most people blow things way out of proportion on here.

Thanks! Couldn't remember his name. He had a huge crowd that loved him on the ship!

Edited by 20pluscruises

Yes it's true, but good news, they're kinda off to the side of the martini bar and somewhat blocked by a beam. However, you can still hear the music(?) clearly

This is a good idea to have music at the bar area for some high energy...and not a really loud DJ in the atrium...the sound from there is usually overpowering...

Just off the Summit...Jordan is a treasure! He should be placed exclusively in high traffic areas like the Rendez Vous or Café Al Bacio, playing the Grand piano to large crowds. It's a waste of the ship's greatest entertainment asset to place him in obscure venues like the CellerMaster (it's like a hallway or a closet) playing to a handful of people. They should also preview him in their Welcome Aboard show, and hold the jam session (as they did last year on the Summit)

He seems to be so genuinely nice, generously trying to please all of his listeners. As his father, you can be very proud of the fine young man you raised!

We would intentionally book a cruise that he's performing on in the future!

• 2 months later...
To me all cruise ship entertainment is cruise ship entertainment.

At least it rotates around and changes from time to time, but I've never made a point of marking my schedule to see any of them.

I don't expect much, and as such am often pleasantly surprised.

I even tried to watch the Jordan guy on piano, and just cringed. Better than I can do, but certainly not playing Carnegie hall anytime soon LOL.

Agreed on the piano guy. Dreadful. 2 years in a row he has been on the Summit. My 3rd trip is next August.

Maybe they can have CD Ken Mills do stand up comedy instead.

Agreed on the piano guy. Dreadful. 2 years in a row he has been on the Summit. My 3rd trip is next August.

Maybe they can have CD Ken Mills do stand up comedy instead.

Wow. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not sure if Jordan is "dreadful." I am not even saying that because we are his family. LOTS of posts on here about his talent.

But, hey, to each their own.