Visiting Skagway on the Zuiderdam --June 3,2014

bumperoo

Woke up today and we were already docked in Skagway. We headed to the Lido for breakfast. We went to the omelet station and ordered our eggs cooked just the way we wanted them. We had some V-8 and coffee and were fueled up for our day exploring Skagway.

Klondike Gold Rush National Park office is located at 2nd and Broadway. Whenever we travel, I love to take ranger led walks and talks. The Skagway office offers a walk at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 2:00, and 3:00. They give out a limited number of tickets for each session. We arrived early enough to secure a ticket for the 9:00 talk. The ranger led us to the Mascot Saloon, past the Golden North Hotel and the Arctic Brotherhood Hall, we stopped at Jeff Smith's Parlor, and the Moore Cabin. Her talk was rich in the history that surrounded the gold rush. The session covered four blocks of the historic district and lasted 50 minutes. When the tour ended, we doubled back and completed our own walk through town. We shopped in a few of the stores before heading back to the ship for lunch. We ate in the Lido but once again it proved hit or miss. The Stromboli was just okay and the ribs were outright horrible.

I had booked a White Pass Summit Excursion with Chilkoot tours after reading lots of good reviews on the Alaska boards. I really liked the idea of taking the bus one way with stops and the train the other way. We met our guide Kevin at the end of the gangway just past security. He informed us that my husband and I would be the only passengers up but a full van back down. So off we went with our private tour. Our stops included: Pitchfork falls, the Tormented Vally, Bridal Veil Falls, William Moore Bridge, the White Pass Trail of '98, and the Welcome to Alaska sign. We were off and on the van in the rain. We were ahead of schedule when we crossed the border, so Kevin asked if we wanted to look for a bear. Low and behold, he knew where to look and we saw a black beer feasting on dandelions along the tracks. It was amazing! We got to the station in time to watch the train pull in. Kevin got us situated on the right side going down for optimum viewing. We warmed ourselves by the wood burning stove and dried out a bit. As we pulled out of the station, the sun came out and we enjoyed a glorious ride down the mountain in perfect viewing weather. Our total tour lasted four hours and cost $126.00 per person before tip.

We got back and went directly to Explorations Cafe for a couple signature coffees. Mary was playing in the Crow's Nest. So, we chatted a bit and she looked through my pictures. We were asked to leave the Crow's nest because they were hosting a private party. I grumpily gave up my window seat and we headed back to the room to get ready for our dinner with Heru and Sumerta at our reserved table.

Once again, our dinner crew did an amazing job welcoming us by name, keeping our wine filled, and suggesting the best items on the menu. We had shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon, and sausage soup for starters. We shared crab cakes and beef rouladen. Heru chose a plate of cheese for us -- the Stilton was delicious. We enjoyed the cheese plate with a couple of glasses of Proseco.

We arrived in the Vista lounge in time for the "Stage and Screen" show done by the Zuiderdam singers and dancers. the costumes were designed by Bob Mackie. It was really enjoyable. Woke up today and we were already docked in Skagway. We headed to the Lido for breakfast. We went to the omelet station and ordered our eggs cooked just the way we wanted them. We had some V-8 and coffee and were fueled up for our day exploring Skagway.

Klondike Gold Rush National Park office is located at 2nd and Broadway. Whenever we travel, I love to take ranger led walks and talks. The Skagway office offers a walk at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 2:00, and 3:00. They give out a limited number of tickets for each session. We arrived early enough to secure a ticket for the 9:00 talk. The ranger led us to the Mascot Saloon, past the Golden North Hotel and the Arctic Brotherhood Hall, we stopped at Jeff Smith's Parlor, and the Moore Cabin. Her talk was rich in the history that surrounded the gold rush. The session to covered four blocks of the historic district and lasted 50 minutes. When the tour ended, we doubled back and completed our own walk through town. We shopped in a few of the stores before heading back to the ship for lunch. We ate in the Lido but once again it proved hit or miss. The Stromboli was just okay and the ribs were outright horrible.

I had booked a White Pass Summit Excursion with Chilkoot tours after reading lots of good reviews on the Alaska boards. I really liked the idea of taking the bus one way with stops and the train the other way. We met our guide Kevin at the end of the gangway just past security. He informed us that my husband and I would be the only passengers up but a full van back down. So off we went with our private tour. our stops included: Pitchfork falls, the Tormented Vally, Bridal Veil Falls, William Moore Bridge, the White Pass Trail of '98, and the Welcome to Alaska sign. We were off and on the van in the rain. We were ahead of schedule when we crossed the border, so Kevin asked if we wanted to look for a bear. Low and behold, he knew where to look and we saw a black beer feasting on dandelions along the tracks. It was amazing! We got to the station in time to watch the train pull in. Kevin got us situated on the right side going down for optimum viewing. We warmed ourselves by the wood burning stove and dried out a big. As we pulled out of the station, the sun came out and we enjoyed a glorious ride down the mountain in perfect viewing weather. Our total tour lasted four hours and cost $126.00 per person before tip.

We got back and went directly to Explieations Cafe for a couple signature coffees. Mary was playing in the Crow's Nest. So, we chatted a bit and she looked through my pictures. We were asked to leave the Crow's nest because they were hosting a private party. I grumpily gave up my window seat and we headed back to the room to get ready for our dinner with Heru and Sumerta at our reserved table.

Once again, our dinner crew did an amazing job welcoming us by name, keeping our wine filled, and suggesting the best items on the menu. We had shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon, and sausage soup for starters. We shared crab cakes and beef rouladen. Heru chose a plate of cheese for us -- the Stilton was delicious. We enjoyed the cheese plate with a couple of glasses of Proseco.

We arrived in the Vista lounge in time for the "Stage and Screen" done by the Zuiderdam singers and dancers. The costumes were designed by Bob Mackie. It was really enjoyable.

We stopped in the Northern Lights Disco for Country night. I know how to do a few line dances but Lou doesn't so we just enjoyed watching all the people enjoying the dance floor.

Country hour ended and we went back to our cabin to get a good night's sleep in preparation for Glacier Bay Day.

Skagway was a fun and interesting stop. I learned a lot and have a new appreciation for the dreamers who came to Alaska in hopes of striking it rich.

As I said good night to the moon, I realized I had struck it rich in Skagway. My heart was filled with a richness that words can not describe.

I grumpily gave up my window seat and we headed back to the room to get ready for our dinner with Heru and Sumerta at our reserved table.

Once again, our dinner crew did an amazing job welcoming us by name, keeping our wine filled, and suggesting the best items on the menu.

I believe Heru and Sumerta were are stewards on the Zuiderdam last month. We had tables #12 and #16 for our large group. They did a magnificent job!

I believe Heru and Sumerta were are stewards on the Zuiderdam last month. We had tables #12 and #16 for our large group. They did a magnificent job!

They really enhanced our dining experience. I loved talking with them each night.